Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
The access rules:

Print Wikipost

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:07 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thanks everyone for the comments. Since I usually arrive in FRA in the afternoon I don't get much chance to go there but I often recommend those arriving on UA flights in F and C to visit the Welcome Lounge if they have the time instead of the Business or Senator Lounges. I was surprised to find in the UA forum someone recommending to skip the Welcome Lounge and stay airside as it has seen better days and all the reviews that rave about it are from years ago.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Thanks everyone for the comments. Since I usually arrive in FRA in the afternoon I don't get much chance to go there but I often recommend those arriving on UA flights in F and C to visit the Welcome Lounge if they have the time instead of the Business or Senator Lounges. I was surprised to find in the UA forum someone recommending to skip the Welcome Lounge and stay airside as it has seen better days and all the reviews that rave about it are from years ago.
I guess the question is...at this point, what differentiates the WL from the new & nice SEN lounges? Last time I was at the WL (2011), the newish B SEN hadn't opened yet, and of course none of the new Z/A+ ones were open either. So the WL was the clear best choice.

But if the SEN lounges now have showers, and are just bigger & nicer...any need to go to the WL? Is the catering any different? Or are there certain gates (low A?) that are closest to the WL, that make it worth the while to stay there?
Old Jul 2, 2013, 11:30 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Is the catering any different?
Egg, bacon. And pancakes made upon request.

HTB.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 12:17 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
I guess the question is...at this point, what differentiates the WL from the new & nice SEN lounges?

But if the SEN lounges now have showers, and are just bigger & nicer...any need to go to the WL? Is the catering any different? Or are there certain gates (low A?) that are closest to the WL, that make it worth the while to stay there?
The SEN lounges and the WL lounge are tough to compare because they serve different purposes. The SEN lounges are airside and generally focused on departing and/or transferring passengers.

The Welcome Lounge is landside just beyond baggage claim and designed specifically for arriving passengers. It very convenient to taxis and trains. It is generally not as crowded, has extended shower capacity, and a somewhat more expanded breakfast offering. It is also only open in the morning.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 1:43 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I guess the question is...at this point, what differentiates the WL from the new & nice SEN lounges? Last time I was at the WL (2011), the newish B SEN hadn't opened yet, and of course none of the new Z/A+ ones were open either. So the WL was the clear best choice.

I've been in both the SEN lounge in Z and the WL in the last month, both used upon arrival from JFK.

I think they are pretty comparable. The showers in the Z Lounge are maybe a touch smaller than in the WL. But they are still great, especially after arriving from the relatively short JFK-FRA flight.

I think the biggest difference is the food offering. The WL has a bigger assortment of food, and it is more breakfast-specific. But the Z lounge still has good food, and one can certainly find enough variety to put together a decent breakfast.

I usually fly on LH405 and when it is delayed, the WL closes before I can get there. So it is nice to have a good option in the Z SEN lounge. I would say it's worth the schlepp through security again if you don't happen to arrive at the Z gates and the WL is closed.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by econprof
I think they are pretty comparable. The showers in the Z Lounge are maybe a touch smaller than in the WL. But they are still great, especially after arriving from the relatively short JFK-FRA flight.
Thanks for the observations. I never think to check out the showers in the Z lounge.

the Z lounge still has good food, and one can certainly find enough variety to put together a decent breakfast.
Agree here.

I usually fly on LH405 and when it is delayed, the WL closes before I can get there. So it is nice to have a good option in the Z SEN lounge.
This is a good point.
I am also fairly often on the NYC TATL flights, and my experience is that LH is somewhat forgiving on WL entry time when flights are a little late (I have been granted access as late as 12:55 after a delayed flight, YMMV), but if there is big delay, the SEN lounge is indeed the only option.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:01 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by N1003U
The SEN lounges and the WL lounge are tough to compare because they serve different purposes. The SEN lounges are airside and generally focused on departing and/or transferring passengers.

The Welcome Lounge is landside just beyond baggage claim and designed specifically for arriving passengers. It very convenient to taxis and trains. It is generally not as crowded, has extended shower capacity, and a somewhat more expanded breakfast offering. It is also only open in the morning.
You are absolutely right. They serve different purposes but I tend to suggest the Welcome Lounge because of overcrowding in the SEN/BIZ Lounges and to anyone who only has access to the BIZ lounges.

Originally Posted by econprof

I think the biggest difference is the food offering. The WL has a bigger assortment of food, and it is more breakfast-specific. But the Z lounge still has good food, and one can certainly find enough variety to put together a decent breakfast.
It's good to know what I remember from previous visits has not changed much. I think the advantage of the Welcome Lounge is it's never crowded, has more showers (23 IIRC in WL, 10 in Z SEN lounge) and better breakfast options.

The FTer who thinks the ORD RCC is better must have visited the WL on a bad day.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The FTer who thinks the ORD RCC is better must have visited the WL on a bad day.
The ORD RCC is not better than even the worst SEN lounge- not even the old DMK lounge (which was terrible) is as bad as the ORD RCC (with the exception of B18 which unfortunately doesn't seem to be kept very clean).
Old Jul 3, 2013, 9:56 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
RCC lounges were another reason for me stop flying domestic UA. No good drinks/food/internet, so why bother going to RCC, when have to use my own internet connectivity and go outside the lounge for a decent snack and drink.

Switching to VX was much better, as the restaurants at SFO VX terminal are much better then at UA.

Never been to VX lounge @SFO, but have no desire too, as the regular terminal is really nice
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Hi all,
I'll be transiting FRA for the first time in 3 years, and from reading this thread, it appears the lounge situation has changed quite a bit (the last time, I happily enjoyed the Tower Lounge based on FT recommendations). I'm going to be coming in to FRA from DEL on LH (C class) and then transferring to a UA flight to the States. If I understand the thread correctly, my choices on lounge are to leave security and hit the Welcome Lounge, and then go back through security to get to my connecting flight or to stay within the airport (I assume I'll be in the non-Schengen area) and hit one of the Business lounges there. What is my best bet for Business lounges these days, and is it worth it to leave and re-enter to use the Welcome lounge instead?
Old Jul 9, 2013, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by whimsey21
Hi all,
I'll be transiting FRA for the first time in 3 years, and from reading this thread, it appears the lounge situation has changed quite a bit (the last time, I happily enjoyed the Tower Lounge based on FT recommendations). I'm going to be coming in to FRA from DEL on LH (C class) and then transferring to a UA flight to the States. If I understand the thread correctly, my choices on lounge are to leave security and hit the Welcome Lounge, and then go back through security to get to my connecting flight or to stay within the airport (I assume I'll be in the non-Schengen area) and hit one of the Business lounges there. What is my best bet for Business lounges these days, and is it worth it to leave and re-enter to use the Welcome lounge instead?
I would not bother to clear passport control etc just to see the Welcome lounge. My suggestion is to go to the new business lounge in the Aplus wing which is where your USA flight will most likely depart from.
Old Jul 9, 2013, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
Both Lounges work well

deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 1, 2018 at 4:45 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
Went today to Welcome lounge (as was taking train from FRA) and was a bit surprised. The lounge is closing now at 12.30pm and around 12.20pm the lounge personal starts to remind you that the lounge is closing at 12.30pm. For some reason I had in my head that the lounge is working until 1pm, with train departing at 1.30pm would have been perfect.
Would have chosen the Z or A pier SEN lounge would I have known the closing time is now earlier.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by volta
Went today to Welcome lounge (as was taking train from FRA) and was a bit surprised. The lounge is closing now at 12.30pm and around 12.20pm the lounge personal starts to remind you that the lounge is closing at 12.30pm. For some reason I had in my head that the lounge is working until 1pm, with train departing at 1.30pm would have been perfect.
Would have chosen the Z or A pier SEN lounge would I have known the closing time is now earlier.
I wonder if your experience is a new enhancement or just an impatient lounge crew. Has anyone else had a problem with being tossed out promptly at 12:30 (supposed to be last entry time)? I wonder if this was an exception or a new trend.

I have never had a problem hanging out until at least 12:40 or so (I often take the 12:53 ICE in the direction of BSL) and I was once allowed in for a quick shower at just before 13:00 when my flight was late...
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:36 am

First time flying UA business to FRA from SFO and then transiting for 3.5 hrs before going to BCN On LH Business.

Is it worth the time to go thru passport control & then back to get a decent bfast at the welcome lounge versus just hanging out at the LH business lounge? Is it a decent trot to the WL?

Will the LH BCN gate be in the same terminal as the UA flight? I will check the flightboard app to find out also.

Thanks in advance. 1st time lowly business flyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.