Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
The access rules:

Print Wikipost

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:14 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I'm afraid you're not in the right thread.
If you want the Luxx Lounge, can I suggest this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-process.html
The Luxx Lounge is indeed landside and you will pass through security. Your UA lounge passes are indeed no good. Sorry.
In addition to security you will also have to go through passport control to enter Germany to visit the Luxx Lounge. However, depending on the next destination express3 and the family may have to clear security and/or passport control anyway.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: AA, HH, SPG, UA
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
In addition to security you will also have to go through passport control to enter Germany to visit the Luxx Lounge. However, depending on the next destination express3 and the family may have to clear security and/or passport control anyway.
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
I'm afraid you're not in the right thread.
If you want the Luxx Lounge, can I suggest this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...e-process.html
The Luxx Lounge is indeed landside and you will pass through security. Your UA lounge passes are indeed no good. Sorry.

thank you so much! I'll check that thread out.
also, not sure if I need to pass security/passport control. If that would be the case, might as well leave the airport and see the city for a few hours My entire flight will be on Lufthansa. MIA-FRA-JED. There's also the skylounge in termimal 2, (airside) not sure if that would be of any help.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:42 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by express3
thank you so much! I'll check that thread out.
also, not sure if I need to pass security/passport control. If that would be the case, might as well leave the airport and see the city for a few hours My entire flight will be on Lufthansa. MIA-FRA-JED. There's also the skylounge in termimal 2, (airside) not sure if that would be of any help.
If you are leaving the airport or visiting a lounge which is landside you will have to go through passport control. If you are staying airside for 7 hours you don't have to go through passport control or security (depending on the departure gate). I don't think you can go to the Skylounge in T2 without a BP for a flight departing from T2.

I agree that leaving the airport and visiting the city would be preferable. I suggest a search for "FRA layover" in the Germany forum.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:01 am

We will be traveling on LH Business Class from Orlando into Frankfurt and then on the Rome. We have about a 4 hour layover. This is our first time traveling thru Frankfurt. Would someone help me with the logistics. Which is the best lounge for us to visit and what will we be dealing with customs, luggage, etc. Thanks for any help. This board is the best.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fishingfrye
We will be traveling on LH Business Class from Orlando into Frankfurt and then on the Rome. We have about a 4 hour layover. This is our first time traveling thru Frankfurt. Would someone help me with the logistics. Which is the best lounge for us to visit and what will we be dealing with customs, luggage, etc. Thanks for any help. This board is the best.
The A Schengen business class lounge is your best option.

If you have a Star Alliance gold card you will also have the option to visit the A Schengen Senator lounge which is nicer. Once you are through passport control just follow the signs to the lounges.

Enjoy Rome!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:43 am

Thank you so much!!! We do not have a Star Alliance card, but will be happy with any of the lounges, it beats economy any day!!!!!!
Barbara

PS - Will we have just our carry on luggage, or all of our luggage at this time?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you so much!!! We do not have a Star Alliance card, but will be happy with any of the lounges, it beats economy any day!!!!!!
Barbara

PS - Will we have just our carry on luggage, or all of our luggage at this time?
Just your carry on luggage.

Your luggage will be checked through to your final destination- nothing like the USA where you have to pick it up and re check it in- it will just turn up in Rome.

I certainly agree that business beats economy any day and certainly the Business lounges of Lufthansa are nicer than Red Carpet Clubs for example and have food that doesn't come in a plastic package.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:12 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Do try in the business lounge the shower facilities, thats the best perk business class travel offers! Upon arrival in Rome, the luggage carts are an € a piece but distances are not so far, you can use credit cards to buy train tickets to Roma Termini trainstation, enjoy the eternal city!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:58 am

Since you have 4 hours in FRA and you will have to go through passport control to enter Schengen anyway, you can try the Welcome Lounge which I believe still has a better breakfast selection than the Business Lounge. After a visit to the Welcome Lounge (and a shower) you can go through security to return to Pier A and visit the new Business Lounge as well.

You may also want to check the FRA connection thread.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:03 pm

Thank you so much. Everyone is so kind and the information is great!

Barbara
Old Mar 3, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by htb
Since this thread came up again, I just wanted to report the "latest" enhancement.

The complicated to use L'Occitane shampoo, conditioner and body soap dispensers in the shower have been replaced by an easy to use soap-for-everything dispenser with unknown contents.

Same for the hand soap.

HTB.
Posting from the lounge. This was a big disappointment today. The two best things about the welcome lounge were the better breakfast and the L'Occitane bath products. It made the sauna-showers bearable (rant: why can't they get the a/c to work down there??!!)

Now only the breakfast remains. It was worth booking LH to fly the 747-800 from IAD but now that I've done that, next time I will just fly UA and use the Senator lounge showers in B when I have a four hour connection. Or better yet, I'll book a shorter connection. Or book via Munich or Zurich if the fare is the same.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:24 am

Programs: KLM Elite for life; LH Senator for life
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
Posting from the lounge. This was a big disappointment today. The two best things about the welcome lounge were the better breakfast and the L'Occitane bath products. It made the sauna-showers bearable (rant: why can't they get the a/c to work down there??!!)
What was disappointing?? Only the a/c system?? Was it to cold or to hot or to dry for you??
Is the a/c system so much better in other lounges??

I have to say that I like this lounge in all respects. Cannot find any complaint.
And believe me I can complain!!
Old Mar 3, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Terbang
What was disappointing?? Only the a/c system?? Was it to cold or to hot or to dry for you??
Is the a/c system so much better in other lounges??

I have to say that I like this lounge in all respects. Cannot find any complaint.
And believe me I can complain!!
+1 to liking the Welcome Lounge in all respects.

The Welcome Lounge is for me one of the best reasons to fly LH long-haul to FRA in a premium cabin or as LH status customer. They seem to do a steady business, but I have never seen it overcrowded, and the staff people in the WL are great (well, OK, at least they warm up a little once they start to recognize you as a regular). It is a lovely "welcoming" facility after an overnight flight.

However, I also find the removal of the premium shower products (replaced by generic shower gel from a wall-mounted dispenser) to be an enhancement. I suspect "maximization" was a problem with the L'Occitane products, and they are a bit expensive. I bring my own toiletries now.

FRA is typically my destination, so the Welcome Lounge is my best option, and since I have my bags with me, using my own products in the shower is never a problem.

I am not so sure the Welcome Lounge works very well as a transfer lounge, nor is it set up as such, but the breakfast items are typically good, maybe good enough to exit and re-enter the sterile area for...

Can anyone comment on the "pressing/ironing service" that is offered? I have never tried/needed it, but I was wondering how it works.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by N1003U
However, I also find the removal of the premium shower products (replaced by generic shower gel from a wall-mounted dispenser) to be an enhancement. I suspect "maximization" was a problem with the L'Occitane products, and they are a bit expensive. I bring my own toiletries now.
AFAIK shower products were wall-mounted right from the beginning.

Can anyone comment on the "pressing/ironing service" that is offered? I have never tried/needed it, but I was wondering how it works.
I haven't used the service but you are supposed to put clothes for pressing/ironing behind the mirror. When it's ready to collect them the screen displays something like this.

Old Mar 3, 2013, 5:39 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
AFAIK shower products were wall-mounted right from the beginning.
Somewhere in the dim and distant past, when the Welcome Lounge was fresh and new, I have a foggy memory of bottles of L'Occitane in the showers...

I haven't used the service but you are supposed to put clothes for pressing/ironing behind the mirror. When it's ready to collect them the screen displays something like this.
Ah, thanks, I always wondered how it worked, but never tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.