Last edit by: oliver2002
The access rules:

Print Wikipost

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It will be about 600m including two escalators according to FRA Airport app.
Which platforms? The platforms underneath the Squiare from the Schengen lounge must be closer to 1km?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Which platforms? The platforms underneath the Squiare from the Schengen lounge must be closer to 1km?
I simulated a route from the Arrival hall B to T5 (Platform 5) and the app gave me 500m. I added 100m for the distance between the Welcome Lounge and the middle of the Arrival hall B where the route simulation started. The lounge in question (because the question was asked in this thread) is the Welcome Lounge and not a Schengen Lounge.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I simulated a route from the Arrival hall B to T5 (Platform 5) and the app gave me 500m. I added 100m for the distance between the Welcome Lounge and the middle of the Arrival hall B where the route simulation started. The lounge in question (because the question was asked in this thread) is the Welcome Lounge and not a Schengen Lounge.
OK Got it. For the Welcome Lounge I agree- add another 300-400m from Schengen and we are on the same page.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:06 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
If you are a brisk walker, 15 minutes is plenty of time from Welcome Lounge to the Long-Distance train platforms, 10 works if you like cutting things close, and you know exactly where you are going.

Note: I recommend at least 15 minutes if you have not made the trip before.

My preferred route from the Welcome Lounge the the Long-Distance trans is to go out the WL doors, immediately up to the departures level on the first escalator, then continue in the same direction until you come to the escalator between A and B to the overhead crosswalk (sign directs you to Fernbahnhof/Long-Distance Tranis). Follow the crosswalk, which turns right near the end (don't go left toward the parking garage just before the end), then a few dozen meters further after the right turn, and you make a left onto a long corridor that leads to the train station. Simply ignore the hawkers between A and B who might be there trying to sell you an American Express Card...

It is also possible to walk underground (in the direction of the S-Bahn station) and then follow the signs from the DB Riesezentrum to the long-distance trains. This route will at the end take you up a long escalator in front of the Sheraton and dump you at the end of a long corridor that ends at the train station (you come to the same corridor from the other direction if you use the overhead crosswalk). I have never timed both routes, but the difference in walking time is probably not great.

I think it might actually be three escalators to the platform if one counts the (2-segment) escalators down from the station to the platforms, though you are of course in all cases also welcome to use the stairs and/or elevators...
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:04 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Are you serious? I know FRA is considered to be bad, but in 600 minutes you could probably walk to your destination train station No, it doesn't take that long.

HTB.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 3:09 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by N1003U
I think it might actually be three escalators to the platform if one counts the (2-segment) escalators down from the station to the platforms, though you are of course in all cases also welcome to use the stairs and/or elevators...
You are right. I forgot the escalator down to the platform because the app didn't mention it.

Originally Posted by htb
Are you serious? I know FRA is considered to be bad, but in 600 minutes you could probably walk to your destination train station

HTB.
No, it's actually 600 miles.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thanks everyone!
Old Jul 1, 2013, 4:13 pm

If you are a brisk walker, 15 minutes is plenty of time from Welcome Lounge to the Long-Distance train platforms, 10 works if you like cutting things close, and you know exactly where you are going.

I have never timed both routes, but the difference in walking time is probably not great.
I had over an hour to kill today at FRA waiting for a colleague to arrive, so I timed both routes from the WL to the DB Long-distance train platform (via the overhead crosswalk between A and B, and via the underground path past the S-Bahn station and up the long escalator in front of the Sheraton). Waking at a brisk pace, it took me about 7 minutes from the WL doors to the Track 4/5 platform via both routes, so 10 minutes is just about right, allowing for crowds on escalators, and finding your way to the correct place on the platform. 15 minutes is plenty of time...

BTW, I agree with TRAVELSIG, the sushi place in "New Work City" (Jing Jing) is OK for those who need a quick fix of sushi, but not exactly gourmet.

I also predict the shops on the other side by the Hilton Garden Inn will move or die unless something else moves in on that side to drive more foot traffic. Even the LH marketing desk looks like it is typically abandoned.

Last edited by N1003U; Jul 2, 2013 at 1:25 pm
Old Jul 1, 2013, 5:10 pm

Thanks, N1003U, for the report.

Since this thread has been resurrected, may I ask if anyone has visited the Welcome Lounge recently? I haven't been there for a while and am curious because I've read in the UA forum someone claiming the ORD RCC is nicer than the FRA Welcome Lounge.

I know L'Occitane toiletries have gone and breakfast buffet is not what it used to be but is it actually worse than the ORD RCC?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 6:20 pm

worse than the RCC??!!

... I've read in the UA forum someone claiming the ORD RCC is nicer than the FRA Welcome Lounge. ...
:
maybe they were referring to the spiffy new UA lounge at ORD, which i haven't seen - but when we flew in C on LH in May, the WL at FRA was miles better than the barebones UA lounge at ORD in T1
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 2Ruse
maybe they were referring to the spiffy new UA lounge at ORD, which i haven't seen - but when we flew in C on LH in May, the WL at FRA was miles better than the barebones UA lounge at ORD in T1
The Welcome Lounge blows away pretty much any United Club...yes the ORD T2 one is good, but it's one of few that nice. And let's not even get started on food & bev at any LH lounge vs. the poor selection at the UCs...
Old Jul 1, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
I had the pleasure of enjoying RCC at SFO (couldn't get my regular route with VX) and have to say, WL @FRA is miles better then RCC I've been to. Seats, drinks, food, showers, internet (good luck with bandwidth at the SFO RCC)

I really like the WL @FRA, as FRA is my destination (layover for few days) quite often and WL provides perfect place to get ready for business day. Can't say that for any RCC (and I seen a fair share of them in US)
Old Jul 1, 2013, 9:18 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
The Welcome Lounge is declined just a tick with the demise of the L'Occitane toiletries and the ironing service, but it's still an awesome thing. I don't think the food has changed at all. it is *way* better than any RCC I've been in. Better than *all* the US-carrier lounges I've been in...
Old Jul 2, 2013, 12:58 am

...may I ask if anyone has visited the Welcome Lounge recently? I haven't been there for a while and am curious because I've read in the UA forum someone claiming the ORD RCC is nicer than the FRA Welcome Lounge.

I know L'Occitane toiletries have gone and breakfast buffet is not what it used to be but is it actually worse than the ORD RCC?
I am a regular in the WL (about monthly, sometimes more often), and I generally agree with econprof and volta. The WL is a VERY welcome lounge in general, but especially after particularly rough and too-short overnight flights. Those of you who do TATL flights from NYC or BOS surely know what I mean.

As stated, there have been some enhancements in the WL (I personally consider them minor, except for the removal of the L'Occitane toiletries ), but in general my observation is that the WL experience in FRA has been fairly consistent and great since it opened.

Without recalling in detail everything that is available, the breakfast buffet should meet the basic needs of all but the pickiest eaters or those with very specific dietary restrictions (I am an omnivore myself, so as long as there is a somewhat lean protein and a complex carbohydrate on the buffet, I am happy).

Some of the newer United Clubs are nice enough to hang out in, but IME the concept of what constitutes food and drink still escapes them.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some of the newer United Clubs are nice enough to hang out in, but IME the concept of what constitutes food and drink still escapes them.
Come on now- plastic wrapped cheese, "low fat" vegetable dip, and packaged carrots are a great breakfast, lunch, and dinner! And for dessert you can always go crazy and have two packages of the shortbread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.