Old Sep 9, 2013, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
The access rules:

Print Wikipost

"Welcome" arrivals lounge in FRA

Old Jul 11, 2013, 1:25 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by drewmisha
First time flying UA business to FRA from SFO and then transiting for 3.5 hrs before going to BCN On LH Business.

Is it worth the time to go thru passport control & then back to get a decent bfast at the welcome lounge versus just hanging out at the LH business lounge? Is it a decent trot to the WL?

Will the LH BCN gate be in the same terminal as the UA flight? I will check the flightboard app to find out also.

Thanks in advance. 1st time lowly business flyer.
From recent reports it looks like you still get better breakfast in the Welcome Lounge than in the Business Lounge.

Since you are connecting to BCN which is in Schengen, you will have to go through passport control in FRA anyway. The only extra thing is you will have to clear security after visiting the Welcome Lounge but there is prioriry security for Business/*G passengers. Your flight to BCN will depart from an A gate.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: their are many of them
I visited the arrival Lou GE on last trip through fra. Is a great lounge except for fact that it can be a hike depending on where u fly into
Old Jul 14, 2013, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I decided against going through extra security to go to the Welcome lounge this trip and instead went to the Z Sen lounge. The showers at the SEN lounge are a bit smaller and I seem to remember more amenities in the Welcome lounge (SEN has shower gel only). There was also a short wait for a shower in the SEN lounge, and I have never waited for a shower at the Welcome lounge.

As for the breakfast question - in my case, I got to the SEN lounge at 11:00 and they were changing over from breakfast to lunch, so if you want a late breakfast, definitely go to the Welcome lounge.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: AA-Gold, Hilton-Gold, Hyatt - Platinum
There are a lot of posts comparing the Senator lounge to the Welcome lounge, but what if you don't have Gold status?

I'm only Silver with US and flying business class PHX- DFW, DFW-FRA, then FRA-BCN with a 4 hour layover. Is the Welcome lounge worth the hike if the business lounge is your only other option? I'm thinking a shower is going to be very nice after leaving PHX at 7am.

Also not sure how long the walk is or what security is like at FRA if we go to the Welcome lounge and then try to find our flight to BCN.
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by lisah101
There are a lot of posts comparing the Senator lounge to the Welcome lounge, but what if you don't have Gold status?

I'm only Silver with US and flying business class PHX- DFW, DFW-FRA, then FRA-BCN with a 4 hour layover. Is the Welcome lounge worth the hike if the business lounge is your only other option? I'm thinking a shower is going to be very nice after leaving PHX at 7am.

Also not sure how long the walk is or what security is like at FRA if we go to the Welcome lounge and then try to find our flight to BCN.
If you are arriving from DFW in business class on LH metal (e.g., on LH439), your LH business class boarding pass will grant you access to the Welcome Lounge. A shower and breakfast in the Welcome Lounge will probably be worthwhile. If you are connecting further (as as indicated, and I assume you will check your bag through to BCN), I would recommend bringing your own toiletries (shampoo, personal hygiene products, etc.) in your carry-on as my experience is that these items have declined in quality.

Allow enough time to re-clear security for the flight to BCN, as security waiting times can (IME) vary greatly in FRA.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by econprof
I often arrive at the Welcome Lounge around 12:15 or so. They begrudgingly let me in, remind me multiple times that the lounge *closes* at 12:30, and then hover around me after I've showered and am upstairs eating. I find it's really annoying. This has definitely changed in the last year or so, and it seems to be related to a change in the service contractor that supplies the personnel (or that's my assumption since the symbols on their badges has changed).
Thanks for the comments. This week was the first time I felt really pressed to get out even though I often arrive close to (or even after) 12:30. It is quite annoying. Up to now, I have had quite the opposite experience, i.e., the WL staff was always quite accommodating.

Perhaps the disappearance of the ironing service was an omen...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:54 am

I arrived from Houston on LH441 last week and this stop after a 26 hour flight (our flight originated in Anchorage) was so well worth it and helped get a grip on the jet lag before having to drive home another 180km
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by moeve
I arrived from Houston on LH441 last week and this stop after a 26 hour flight (our flight originated in Anchorage) was so well worth it and helped get a grip on the jet lag before having to drive home another 180km
It is Nice to hear. Despite the real and imagined enhancements, I find the Welcome Lounge to be a great facility, and well executed. It is very good for, as you say, "getting a grip on the jet lag before traveling on"...
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:28 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Did anyone try to ask them for the train schedule lately? I was very surprised that they told me they have no information when I asked about a year back. I took it for granted that being located almost next to the station and many customers undoubtly continuing by train, they would have the train schedule readily available.

HTB.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:17 am

After reading through many pages of this tread, I'm still a bit confused on the "Process" to use the WL while awaiting a transfer. If I were headed to FRA, I'm sure I'd just go with the flow and figure it out, but I'm trying to pass along some concise instructions to my brother who has never taken an int'l flight before and is sure to be overwhelmed.

He arrives from IAD around 8:15 in the morning. He has a connection to Hanover departing 1:30pm. He will be traveling in C.

Upon arrival, does he
1) clear customs and immigration
2) collect and recheck bags to HAJ - or does he have to take bags with him to WL?
3) exit airside to WL
4) go back through security to connecting flight

Any help ordering the steps or filling in anything I'm missing would be most helpful, and specifics appreciated. Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by Wx4caster
2) collect and recheck bags to HAJ - or does he have to take bags with him to WL?
Why not check the bags directly to HAJ? "This is Europpeeeee!!!"

Sorry cant help in the rest, but if he is travelling in C than he can use the business lounges too that are definitely airside.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by kanor
Why not check the bags directly to HAJ? "This is Europpeeeee!!!"

Sorry cant help in the rest, but if he is travelling in C than he can use the business lounges too that are definitely airside.
I assumed after arriving in FRA from the US, he would have to clear customs and re-check bags. Not true?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:09 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
I assumed after arriving in FRA from the US, he would have to clear customs and re-check bags. Not true?
Nope, this is only how the americans make us suffer when connecting in the US.
Your brother can check the bags to HAJ, go through Schengen security at arrival in FRA, and walk through the customs at arrival in HAJ with his bags.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:14 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
After reading through many pages of this tread, I'm still a bit confused on the "Process" to use the WL while awaiting a transfer. If I were headed to FRA, I'm sure I'd just go with the flow and figure it out, but I'm trying to pass along some concise instructions to my brother who has never taken an int'l flight before and is sure to be overwhelmed.

He arrives from IAD around 8:15 in the morning. He has a connection to Hanover departing 1:30pm. He will be traveling in C.

Upon arrival, does he
1) clear customs and immigration
3) exit airside to WL
4) go back through security to connecting flight

Any help ordering the steps or filling in anything I'm missing would be most helpful, and specifics appreciated. Thanks!
kanor is right, his bags will be checked through to HAJ, so no worries about 2).

LH 419 will probably come into the Z gates, which means will clear immigration directly at the end of the Z wing. Then head downstairs, walk through baggage claim and through customs (without getting his luggage), then just following the signs to the Welcome Lounge, which is located near the airside exit to the B gates. After enjoying the WL, he can go back upstairs to his connecting flight, which will most likely leave from the A gates. He can even enjoy the business lounge near A13 if he leaves enough time.

Personally, I think the schlepp to the WL is worth it relative to the Business Lounge in Z. If he were *G and could use the Senator Lounge it would be a different story.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by econprof
kanor is right, his bags will be checked through to HAJ, so no worries about 2).

LH 419 will probably come into the Z gates, which means will clear immigration directly at the end of the Z wing. Then head downstairs, walk through baggage claim and through customs (without getting his luggage), then just following the signs to the Welcome Lounge, which is located near the airside exit to the B gates. After enjoying the WL, he can go back upstairs to his connecting flight, which will most likely leave from the A gates. He can even enjoy the business lounge near A13 if he leaves enough time.

Personally, I think the schlepp to the WL is worth it relative to the Business Lounge in Z. If he were *G and could use the Senator Lounge it would be a different story.
econprof, thanks for the details! So, does that mean he doesn't have to clear customs until he reaches his final destination (HAJ)? I just assumed that all had to be done at the point of entry. Sounds like it should be fairly simple. From what I've read about the WL, I would agree it's worth the walk given the long layover. There was a routing option with a 1:25 hr connection, but I figured that was cutting it way too close at FRA. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.