Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by vinosity
Of course it does. It is also one of the options that abdicates Lufthansa of any legal responsibility. Under reg 261 they cannot do this. And I am not letting them get away with it.
The cancelled flight is operated by COPA, which is outside of EU261 regulations (which hold the operating airline accountable)? Or would your claim be against Copa? In any case looking at the regulations and ECJ rulings I don't think EU261 is certain for this situation, though I'm sure many others may disagree.

I concur with the recommendation to call again and if there are no LH partner airlines flying to VVI, then offer to get yourself to location where Lufthansa is flying to (at own cost) and request to be rebooked for free from there (on the basis that your original flight was cancelled).

Good luck!
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by vinosity
Of course it does. It is also one of the options that abdicates Lufthansa of any legal responsibility. Under reg 261 they cannot do this. And I am not letting them get away with it.
I agree that LH owe you more, but it sounds like pragmatism will get you home sooner.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:02 am

Are tickets still subject to a 12 month validity?

Booked tickets in March for travel to Australia in May. Flights cancelled and rebooked for Christmas time. I strongly suspect that at least one of the sectors will be cancelled again (already showing zero'd out on the SQ code and operated as a 388 so not going to happen). If I again choose to get rebooked, it'll be well outside the 12 month time frame of the initial ticket issue, as I'll want to go for September/October 2021. Will Swiss be able to cope with this, or will it go into the 'too hard' box. I booked directly with them, so no TA involved.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
They can issue a new ticket beyond the one year validity. Its a manual process and needs some knowledge.
Dave_C likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
They can issue a new ticket beyond the one year validity. Its a manual process and needs some knowledge.
Thanks. It's not cancelled yet - still waiting for both LX and SQ to figure out the December schedules. Interestingly the underlying SQ221 sector (SIN-SYD) is zero'd out, but the LX codeshare isn't. From the currently SQ schedule up until the end of November, it's not operating so would be surprised if it does in December. If and when the Australian government raises the cap on arrivals, presumably they'd fill the existing sectors first, rather than add in new rotations?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 2:36 pm

Thanks for all the advice. I woke up this morning to an offer of rerouting tomorrow VVI-GRU-FRA-MAN.

It's exactly the same offer they made at the beginning of the month, and then reneged upon.

It would have been almost for me to get to where I am in Bolivia to VVI to catch the flight, so we agreed that I could do the same routing next Friday. I also had a sneaking suspicion that they would renege again.

Well, at about midday today, they reneged on their offer of honouring the first leg, as they don't have an interline agreement with the airline concerned.

Now it has been agreed that I can pick up my flight from Sao Paulo if I can get there myself, out of my own pocket; without the £3000 reticketing fee they had originally said I should pay.

Quite frankly I am incredibly disappointed and disgusted with this airline. Myself and my family have used them for years; but that will no longer happen once I return home.

I don't understand how they can make an offer that is accepted and ticketed, and then rescind it.

I was very lucky that I didn't drop everything and fly out to Santa Cruz this morning, as that would have left me in an unsafe place where I would have to pay for accommodation until such a time as I could get back to where I currently am, or leave the country.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I've just received second a reservation change email from LH for our AMS-FRA-HND-SYD flights in December (the first being sent a couple of weeks ago for a small change). I can't see any discernible change to the schedule, but they have given me the three options 1) keep the same flights, 2) Use my ticket later and 3) a refund.

We are leaning to a refund, as we're not sure when Australia entry restrictions will be lifted, but my question relates to 2) - if we decide to use the ticket later, does mean any flight/destination in the same class, or the specific route? It is not clear on the LH website what a schedule change means for this.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:22 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woobl
I've just received second a reservation change email from LH for our AMS-FRA-HND-SYD flights in December (the first being sent a couple of weeks ago for a small change). I can't see any discernible change to the schedule, but they have given me the three options 1) keep the same flights, 2) Use my ticket later and 3) a refund.

We are leaning to a refund, as we're not sure when Australia entry restrictions will be lifted, but my question relates to 2) - if we decide to use the ticket later, does mean any flight/destination in the same class, or the specific route? It is not clear on the LH website what a schedule change means for this.

Thanks in advance!
I just got the same email for AMS-FRA-BKK-FRA-AMS. Both AMS-FRA//FRA-AMS have been cancelled and they rescheduled the flights and give me 3 options.

I called them whether I can change the departing airport from AMS to MUC, they said "No" but I can change it to MUC next year with the fare difference, however, I can change the date on the same route into next year free of charge! I will wait for the situation and decide it later.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by thanaset
I just got the same email for AMS-FRA-BKK-FRA-AMS. Both AMS-FRA//FRA-AMS have been cancelled and they rescheduled the flights and give me 3 options.

I called them whether I can change the departing airport from AMS to MUC, they said "No" but I can change it to MUC next year with the fare difference, however, I can change the date on the same route into next year free of charge! I will wait for the situation and decide it later.
Interesting. It doesn't show that the flights have been cancelled on the email - where did you see this? My flights are code shares with ANA and I know that have been cancelling the HND-SYD sectors, so was expecting that to happen soon. I have until the 17th Oct to decide.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woobl
Interesting. It doesn't show that the flights have been cancelled on the email - where did you see this? My flights are code shares with ANA and I know that have been cancelling the HND-SYD sectors, so was expecting that to happen soon. I have until the 17th Oct to decide.
I checked it on checkmytrip.com because I added it before and you can also check it with your eTicket which still shows the original flights that you booked if the eTicket has not been reissued.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by oliver2002
My August flights to EZE were cancelled.

I'm taking a punt on next summer being OK, but two agents have just ruled that as my ticket validity ends in February I need to refund and buy a new ticket.

They say tickets cannot be re-issued.

All very puzzling.....
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Yesterday received an email with very minor schedule changes, for flights next Month, just a few minutes & I had until 16th to accept or it would be cancelled...... of course the button to accept didn't work..... had to call the HON line & they did the acceptance for me & sent a confirmation, just received a new email of the same schedule changes giving me until 17th to accept or it will be cancelled
Old Oct 1, 2020, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you’re a betting man or womxn you really can do very well out of these. I took a risk to book a whole load of tickets and between 2-3/4 segments were cancelled in each. I’ve ended up with a carnet of fully flex tickets valid as far as Xmas 2021.

Severely reduced schedules have bumped up fares considerably and pushed four segments up to five or six.

I think I’ve had my luck and I will take my winning shot though!
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 2:43 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Had LAX-FRA-CDG return booked for next month. As a Canadian travel is still basically unfeasible due to quarantine regs. So I was hoping to just get a credit I guess. I was resigned to that basically because LH sees LAX as a flagship route I suppose and have been running it daily EXCEPT Wednesday’s.

then just today I got my sweet sweet cancellation notice, my flight was booked for a Wednesday

based on the reading I’ve done from the sticky, it seems like I’m entitled to a refund, by law. First question, is that correct, have it read it correctly? Next, assuming that is correct...how brutal are the processing times? I don’t desperately need the money back now (I want it back now lol) but I also don’t love having these outstanding things out there in the ether forever. I’m already worried I won’t remember to use all these credits I have before they expire, I’d rather not have to fight with LH for months over my $500.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by hugolover
If you’re a betting man or womxn you really can do very well out of these. I took a risk to book a whole load of tickets and between 2-3/4 segments were cancelled in each. I’ve ended up with a carnet of fully flex tickets valid as far as Xmas 2021.
If you are re-booking as far out as end-2021, I'm guessing you ran into the issue of a ticket's 12 month validity.

My ticket ends its life in February 2021, so Lufthansa refuse to re-book a trip to Buenos Aires (cancelled August 2020) to July of 2021. "Refund and buy another ticket", they say: adding some nonsense about a EUR50 discount on a fare difference of a couple of thousand dollars

I note others (among them the sainted Oliver2002) suggest ticket validity can be extended or re-issued. I welcome support for that notion, and any practical advice on how to implement it !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.