Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2020, 4:37 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

A general Corona Waiver for rebookings is now in place:

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information

Coronavirus: Information on flexible rebooking Options

The Lufthansa Group airlines Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines and Air Dolomiti are now introducing more flexible rebooking options. The new extensive waiver policy for rebooking applies to both existing and future bookings worldwide. With this new waiver policy, the Lufthansa Group Airlines are responding to the wish of many customers to help make their travel plans more flexible under the exceptional circumstances caused by the spread of the coronavirus.

Possibility to rebook existing bookings:

The new waiver policy for existing bookings applies worldwide for tickets purchased before 5 March with a travel date up to 30 April 2020. Passengers can rebook to a new date up to 31 December 2020 without any rebooking fee – regardless of condition of the original booking fare purchased.

General rebooking option for future bookings:

With immediate effect and until 31 March 2020, the Lufthansa Group airlines will waive the rebooking fees for all newly booked flights worldwide and offer a one-time rebooking – regardless of condition of the original booking fare purchased. Passengers can in future rebook to a new travel date until 31 December 2020 without rebooking fees.

Applicable for both waiver policies: The departure and destination airports must be identical. If the original fare is no longer available, the corresponding difference must be paid. The rebooking must be made before the original travel date.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If one of your flights was cancelled then surely you could have had a refund for the full trip per the usual procedures?
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:42 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
So basically it's a fake waver.

The requirment for the original fare to be still available excludes all the promotional/companion fares LH/LX did in 2019, as those fares has been available for a limited period and are long gone.

Well played. I'll take this behavior into the account when booking my future travel

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 9:21 pm

If Lufthansa cancels will I be eligible for refund in L class?

My husband and I are scheduled to go from Seattle to Frankfurt to Bari on June 1st. We’re currently booked in L class, economy basic. I’m in wait and see mode, but my hope of going is dwindling as the virus numbers go up. If Lufthansa cancels our flight will I be eligible for a refund vs taking a rebook? We’d really prefer to go next June if we can’t go this year. If I’m reading correctly I could change my flights now and incur a $300 penalty per ticket plus change in fare? Will I get credit for what I’ve paid already? Lufthansa’s website seems vague. Just wondering what my best option is.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 1:16 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Yes, you will get a refund.

Check LH webpage for the options you already have without cancellations, waivers already in place.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I suggest to wait until a flight is cancelled or has a material schedule change; then you will be able to cancel and get a full refund.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Silver, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Yes - absolutely wait for a cancellation before you take any action. If you look at the SARS statistics as a guide, it was all over in about 2 months. This may take a bit longer because our initial containment was better this time around. Also I think the last few weeks has proven this is everywhere so you are no safer at home than in Italy, or anywhere else. Finally, if you do catch it Italy has a first class medical system that will give you the best possible care. I think that in three months Corona will be almost ancient history.
kcmd likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante

The requirment for the original fare to be still available excludes all the promotional/companion fares LH/LX did in 2019, as those fares has been available for a limited period and are long gone.

Well played. I'll take this behavior into the account when booking my future travel

Regards,

El Puerco Volante

Indeed that’s what I feel, too.

Having a ticket to HK (booked via an OTA) seems very troublesome to refund. A schedule change that happened might be able to solve the issue, but remains to be seen. Dreadful waiting times over the phone, and will have to do it again on Monday when some specific department is open.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
If one of your flights was cancelled then surely you could have had a refund for the full trip per the usual procedures?
Yes, they unilaterally changed the contract in that case, or a significant schedule change
Old Mar 7, 2020, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, you are eligible for a refund. This is the case, whether virus-related or not. Both by contract and under EC 261/2004, in the case of a cancellation, you may opt for a full refund to your original form of payment.

If the flight is not yet cancelled, you will then need to rely on LH's posted COVID policy and, if you fit within it, cancel or rebook as you are permitted.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:17 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by El Puerco Volante
Well I don't know for sure, but I agree that it is worded in a way that allows different interpretations. The original German version says

Passagiere können nun einmal ohne Umbuchungsgebühr auf ein neues Datum bis zum 31. Dezember 2020 umbuchen – ebenfalls unabhängig vom Buchungstarif.
"Passengers can now rebook once without having to pay a change fee for a new travel date before Dec 31, 2020 - INDEPENDENT of the fare booked."

Ist der ursprüngliche Tarif nicht mehr verfügbar, ist die entsprechende Differenz zu zahlen.
"In case the orginal fare is no longer available, a fare difference has to be paid."

I think the potentially misleading term here is "fare". If they use the term "booking class" it'd be a ok waiver (if you ask me). If they really mean fare then it's pretty lousy.

Maybe we should ask the lurkers to clarify the exact terms of the waiver.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My experience is the fare is being recalculated.

The LOT waiver is a straightforward swap from booking class to booking class.
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:06 am

Programs: A3 Gold, AA Platinum, Marriott & Discovery Platinum, IGH Diamond
It says "fare" and that's what they mean. It will be recalculated.

I tried with one of my upcoming flights and has been quoted 5k EUR in addition to my original fare.

So it's a fake waver. In most cases the fares (especially promos/companion fares) from 2019 do not exist anymore and will be recalculated to a full fare.

This waver exists so LH/LX can avoid bad publicity by not offering one. But they also avoid any costs, as it will be useless for many passengers.

It's really the nastiest behavior I have seen in long time. Someone with social network skills should make this well-known

Regards,

El Puerco Volante
Old Mar 8, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
My experience is the fare is being recalculated.
Yes & since we know ticket sales have tanked & planes are flying around almost empty, one would expect the fare difference to be less not more, unless of course LH wants to profit from this disaster.....
NewAtlantis likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: LH SEN
I have a booking for late March that almost certainly won't get used but I don't have any planned travel between that city pair for the rest of 2020 so for me this waiver is also useless.

If it allowed change of destination I have three options in the second half of the year... 🤦‍♂️

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.