Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:23 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Waiver of fees

page 4 of 5 states only before I start travel where change is voluntary. Twitter reply from customer service did not advise of this restriction. Telephone call to customer service consistent with Twitter reply but the formal LH document suggests otherwise unless I am not reading it correctly.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 6:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
What is your particular situation? If you describe better we can give you a better opinion...
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
Originally Posted by oliver2002
What is your particular situation? If you describe better we can give you a better opinion...

Booking today. Flying TLV FRA YVR Sept 2 (will fly). Return currently Nov 2 same return. Am I entitled to a voluntary charge with fees waived? There is a reference on the booking portion of the website to a $180 change fee (economy least expensive ticket) not taking into account fare differential.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:43 am

Sorry can I please ask for some newbie guidance? I'm generally not a Lufthansa flyer, have read this thread and some of the others but there seems to be so many different variants depending on when you booked, when you fly, and when you do something about it.

I am based in the UK. Flights are booked AMS <> FRA <> HKG <> AKL. The HKG to AKL legs are on Cathay. Outbound starting 14th December '20, return on 2nd January '21. Flights booked back with an OTA in February.
It's fairly clear to me NZ will not be reopen this year. If there's a miracle and it reopens, happy to go, but assuming it doesn't...
  • Refunds are obviously the preferred option. Nothing has yet been cancelled/retimed, but it's still a while away. I suspect at least one leg will fall through - by how much do things need to change for us to become eligible for a refund? Edit- have figured out this is +/- 2 hours to departure or arrival
  • I see there is a voucher option available now. I'm reluctant to take that because I don't think when I come to rebook the pricing will be anything close to the bargain we originally got. If I go for this, is via the OTA or straight to LH?
  • How close would you leave it to see if LH/Cathay cancel any of these flights? Is there any risk of the voucher option disappearing whilst playing that game?
  • I saw in some of the threads there seems to be an option to move flights out to a new date as late as Dec '21 and pay the fare difference but no penalty. I could be tempted to go for Xmas 2021 but schedules/pricing aren't available that far out. So how is that working?

Last edited by fishfish; Aug 24, 2020 at 8:53 am
Old Aug 24, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: BA Rust, A3 Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Demand for rebooking fees.

I had a flight to Croatia booked on 3rd July in biz. Unfortunately a P fare so paid to change it to C/D the next day. About a week later had an email from LH that one of the flights was cancelled and to either approve the alternative offered or cancel. I approved it.
Then, last week I could see Croatia was going on the naughty list so changed my itinerary to Sicily. Cost an additional 305 on top of the now 540 for the original booking.
The next day I am instructed to call reservations urgently.
The agent who moved my booking didn't charge a rebooking fee.Now I face a demand for a rebooking fee. indeterminate sum so far. I feel this is unwarranted but the flight is on Friday so need some advice.

Last edited by ElegantMess; Aug 25, 2020 at 4:43 pm Reason: Missed the crux.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:23 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by testycal
Booking today. Flying TLV FRA YVR Sept 2 (will fly). Return currently Nov 2 same return. Am I entitled to a voluntary charge with fees waived? There is a reference on the booking portion of the website to a $180 change fee (economy least expensive ticket) not taking into account fare differential.
Only change fee(s) waived, but repriced as per fares available today and if the original booking class still available.

Repricing on original O&D or new O&D without any discount or bonus
TLV schedules are going thru a number of changes, MUC-TLV has been cancelled till EOS this week, If you plan to fly Sep2 I would wait and see what happens to your return and ask for a free change when they reschedule.
testycal likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by fishfish
Sorry can I please ask for some newbie guidance? I'm generally not a Lufthansa flyer, have read this thread and some of the others but there seems to be so many different variants depending on when you booked, when you fly, and when you do something about it.

I am based in the UK. Flights are booked AMS <> FRA <> HKG <> AKL. The HKG to AKL legs are on Cathay. Outbound starting 14th December '20, return on 2nd January '21. Flights booked back with an OTA in February.
It's fairly clear to me NZ will not be reopen this year. If there's a miracle and it reopens, happy to go, but assuming it doesn't...
  • Refunds are obviously the preferred option. Nothing has yet been cancelled/retimed, but it's still a while away. I suspect at least one leg will fall through - by how much do things need to change for us to become eligible for a refund? Edit- have figured out this is +/- 2 hours to departure or arrival
  • I see there is a voucher option available now. I'm reluctant to take that because I don't think when I come to rebook the pricing will be anything close to the bargain we originally got. If I go for this, is via the OTA or straight to LH?
  • How close would you leave it to see if LH/Cathay cancel any of these flights? Is there any risk of the voucher option disappearing whilst playing that game?
  • I saw in some of the threads there seems to be an option to move flights out to a new date as late as Dec '21 and pay the fare difference but no penalty. I could be tempted to go for Xmas 2021 but schedules/pricing aren't available that far out. So how is that working?
Don't go for any vouchers now, wait for any segment in your trip to cancel and either ask for a refund or have the ticket parked till the xmas 2021 schedule is available.
Old Aug 24, 2020, 9:45 am

Don't go for any vouchers now, wait for any segment in your trip to cancel and either ask for a refund or have the ticket parked till the xmas 2021 schedule is available.
Thanks. Are LH generally cancelling a few weeks before? Or right up to the wire? Is there any view on whether LH will give warnings before they withdraw the voucher option?
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
There are two sets of waivers, see the flow chart here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/sha...ile_147655.pdf

Can someone just clarify the August 31st point in the waiver? The language used on the LH suggests that you need to rebook by the 31st August in order to have the rebooking fee waived. Or is it that you need to have booked the original ticket by this date in order to qualify for the fee waiver? For example, having a ticket booked on, say 28th August means I can rebook after the 31st August and still have the fee waived.

The language isn't too clear to my eye so just want to check.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 24, 2020, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by fishfish
Thanks. Are LH generally cancelling a few weeks before? Or right up to the wire? Is there any view on whether LH will give warnings before they withdraw the voucher option?
LH is cleaning up its schedule, first they block the flight from sale and then cancel about 2 months in advance. Just check if any of the segments are no longer available for sale.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 7:35 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Looks like LH Group will now waive unlimited change fees for tickets (even the cheapest Light fares) until the end of the year and add an insurance for the destination country.

https://abouttravel.ch/industrie-des...reservation-2/

In French though.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Looks like LH Group will now waive unlimited change fees for tickets (even the cheapest Light fares) until the end of the year and add an insurance for the destination country.

https://abouttravel.ch/industrie-des...reservation-2/

In French though.
Interesting, although no mention of LH with regards to the waiver fee changes - just on the insurance package. Would LX and LH split their policies?
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:48 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by woobl
Interesting, although no mention of LH with regards to the waiver fee changes - just on the insurance package. Would LX and LH split their policies?
Yeah the insurance part is not clear yet. Can't find anything on LH sites. But the insurance part is only valid till end of September from that article.

First time see that website though so not sure how accurate and confirmed those reports are.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 10:52 am

The insurance thing has been around ex D/A/CH since June 25.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 1:48 am

It seems starting yesterday all change fees are waived till the end of the year for all existing and new bookings. This is to bring LHG in line with new IAG and AF-KL policies. New bookings can be changed online, existing/old bookings you need to call in or contact the issuing TA. If the original RBD is not available you have to pay a fare difference. Change of origin and destination is allowed. Tickets purchased in Japan are excluded. Domestic tickets in Germany cannot be converted to international tickets due to tax reasons.
IMH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.