Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by Nick Art
Yes and No.
If your flights were cancelled by LH you can put the booking on hold and rebook the same routing for all of 2021 by January 31st with no fare difference. After that date since LH cancelled your flights you can still ask for a full refund!
Don't go for the voucher. The voucher will only give you the value of the ticket to be used on a new ticket on any routing plus the 50 euro voucher if you rebook until August 31st.be valid. You can of course use the voucher later as well without the 50 eur discount, but you can only rebook via the hotline which usually quotes higher prices than available on the website. And eventually the voucher will expire. Don't go for the voucher.
Thanks Nick.

I was offered a voucher few months ago and I accepted it. If I remember correctly there was a term that says if I accept a voucher then I give up my right to request cash refund.
This is a partially used ticket, and the only reason I accepted the voucher is to see the value of my remaining ticket. LH would not tell me the renaming value of my ticket. they always say they don't know! they need a travel dates to calculate the remaining value. So I thought by accepting the voucher it will display the remains value of my ticket.

Can I still ask for cash refund after August 31? ( when this voucher expires)
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:31 am

sorry duplicate
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
My understanding is voucher has nothing to do with waived fees. Think of voucher as additional money LH is giving you as an incentive to book by August 31st and travel before the year ends.
Fees are waived until the end of the year ( see post 918). price difference is something else.
Thanks. I was interested in whether I need to rebook by the 31st August In order to have the rebooking fee waived, or just need to have booked the original ticket by then to qualify for the fee waiver.
Old Aug 29, 2020, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by woobl
Thanks. I was interested in whether I need to rebook by the 31st August In order to have the rebooking fee waived, or just need to have booked the original ticket by then to qualify for the fee waiver.
I realized when I re read your post that it has nothing to do with vouchers so I deleted it.
As per post 918 fees are waived until the end of the year except for Japan. I agree with you that LH is a big mess and each time you call you get different answer.
If I learn something from COVID-19 .. is never book with LH again. I will still Fly LH, LX ( good connections , great product) but I'll book with United, Air Canada for LH group flights. It seems my money is safer with UA or AC than with LH
Old Sep 1, 2020, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by KSA_USA
It seems my money is safer with UA or AC than with LH
Not AC... many posters have complained about AC not wanting to issue refunds
Old Sep 3, 2020, 12:20 pm

i booked a flight with LH at lastminute. It was the promo from AMS to AKL in Biz. The flight will be tomorrow but it is canceled. Because the price was very good how i can change the dates to next year? Unfortunately it was not direct at LH.

I clicked on the button i want to change the flights but since then nothing happend. Any idea?
Old Sep 3, 2020, 1:19 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You have to call the travel agency you booked it with and ask them to park the reservation for now. Once the next years schedule is available, you call in again and ask them to reinstate the reservation with the new dates.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fly747first
Not AC... many posters have complained about AC not wanting to issue refunds

AC did not refund mine, they issued a voucher instead
Old Sep 7, 2020, 3:53 pm

Programs: AC MM
Question about new change policy - tickets purchased after May 15thI have posted a similar question a few weeks ago on the SWISS forum but wasn't able to get any feedback and since the Lufthansa group has changed the rebookig policy to make it more flexible again since end of August I am hoping someone might be able to assist with this question.

We are leaving for Switzerland in 3 weeks and I will be purchasing onward tickets for travel within Europe on SWISS this week.

Because things are still very fluid, especially with numbers in Canada increasing (where we are flying from), I want to make sure that there is flexibility in case I have to cancel/change the SWISS tickets within Europe.

According to the new rules, we can cancel and change to new tickets traveling up until December 2021 but tickets have to be purchased before original travel dates, which is what my problem would be as there is most likely no way I would be able to re-book new dates and know we can actually travel at such short notice in case we are not able to actually depart and enter on our booked dates.

This is what the rule says:Your flight is not cancelled:
You can rebook your flight without rebooking fee, regardless of the terms and conditions of the originally purchased ticket. An additional payment due to fare difference may apply. Start of travel must be latest by 31 December 2021 and the rebooking has to be done before the original start of travel.

There is another rule, listed below which would work but it isn't clear if that too has to be re-booked before original travel dates.

You can also change your destination* and your travel class. Your ticket will remain valid and you can use it towards a future flight. Latest start of travel is 31 December 2021. Please note, that in these cases, an additional payment might be necessary, e.g. if you change to a higher travel class or if you rebook from a short-haul to a long-haul flight.

If the latter is the case and we can keep the value ofthe ticket until we can re-book, that would be perfect but I am not sure if I am reading these 2 rules correctly.

If anyone has any wisdom and can clarify, I would really appreciate it very much
Old Sep 8, 2020, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The "your ticket will remain valid and you can use it towards future flight" applies to cancelled trips. You can't change an un-affected ticket into an "open ticket" or voucher to be used later. Ýou would need to rebook (before original travel dates) the tickets for future date and then rebook again (and pay change fee etc) if you need to change the dates later.

You could hope for a schedule change or cancellation which will allow you to cancel and get a full refund.
yvrcnx and Radiation Station like this.

Last edited by SK AAR; Sep 8, 2020 at 1:04 am
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
A friend has asked me to help out with a set of tickets he has from HAM-FRA-JFK and return, starting in late September. These are discount business (P) fare tickets issued in mid-Feb. I have slowly lost the plot on what LH policy is in practice these days.

LH has sent an email saying that there are some changes to the flights (the first flight has been moved up by 30 minutes), and then:

We have tried to find the best possible connection for you. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to offer you an alternative. You can find your new itinerary below for your information. Please check whether you will be able to take the trip as it is booked now or if you want to use our flexible rebooking options to start your trip at a different time.

You can inform us about your decision by using the selection fields below so that we can update your ticket for you without any further effort from your side. Please transmit your reply by 20 September 2020, otherwise your flights will be cancelled. Of course, your booking code and your ticket remain valid for later use. You can contact us by 31 January 2021 at the latest and have your new flights booked*.

* Our 50,00€ discount applies for all tickets issued before May 16,2020 when rebooking to a new travel date in 2020. Vouchers are not offered for Miles & More award bookings or PPB free flight award bookings.

So they have the option of going ahead with the flights (which they can't take given entry restrictions to the US) or rebook (presumably the discount fare won't be available, but they get the 50 voucher).

If you agree to the proposed schedule change, please click here. Your ticket will automatically be updated with your new flight details
or

If you do not want to start your trip as suggested, please click here. Your flights will be cancelled, your ticket and your booking code will remain valid. You can book your new flights until 31 August 2020 for travel in 2020 using the €50 discount. For a new travel date in 2021 or if you have purchased your ticket after 15 May 2020, please contact us by 31 January 2021 and let us know your flight request.
So either accept (not possible) or effectively get a travel credit, as I understand it. Does this minor flight time change of 30 mins trigger a right for a full refund?

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:55 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

We have tried to find the best possible connection for you. Unfortunately, it is not always possible to offer you an alternative. You can find your new itinerary below for your information. Please check whether you will be able to take the trip as it is booked now or if you want to use our flexible rebooking options to start your trip at a different time.
This indicates that there was a significant change to the booking and s/he can get a full refund. Just call in and ask for a refund.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by oliver2002
This indicates that there was a significant change to the booking and s/he can get a full refund. Just call in and ask for a refund.
Well-spotted! I just checked with him, and he noticed that it wasn't just the initial flight that was moved by 30 minutes, but the return flight was pushed back by one day. That's why I couldn't make sense of the email. Refund application is what it will be. Many thanks!
Old Sep 14, 2020, 6:58 am

Just to report on my quest to get a ticket (re)issued:

Last year I bought a full flex ticket in PE starting in India and technically ending in the US that allowed free stopovers in Germany. After booking the ticket in July, I started the trip in September, went to the US in November and kept the return to India open to go whenever the need may be (before the ticket expired in July). In December I moved the date to late June to stay flexible. In late May the June flight was cancelled so I asked my TA in India to remove the UN segment and park the ticket with a retention segment as required by the waiver.

Earlier this month I finally took the decision to visit my father for his 80th this October, so I asked the TA to book the flights in the PNR and reissue the ticket. After some debate with LH they added the segments after two days and sent it to LH to reissue the ticket. 10 days passed and no ticket was issued.... the TA says they can't do anything and its LH's turn. It seems handling of tickets beyond one year validity is tricky.

Since I want to upgrade to C I was getting antsy, so I called the German SEN line this morning to ask what is going on. The agent surmised that the ticketing agent who has to do this manually is doing the more urgent things first, so he sent it to the urgent queue that should reissue the ticket in 24h.

I will keep you posted
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:43 am

After some forceful questioning of the TA it seems they/LH needed clarification that I was allowed to travel to India under the current set up. After I provided the required info, the ticket was exchanged/reissued in two minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.