Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: oliver2002
If any of your flights in the reservation are cancelled or changed significantly, you can change/refund the ticket as per the section 4.1.2 in this document: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_143775.pdf
If you still want to fly as (re)booked after a schedule change, you need to reconfirm the reservation with a certain number of days as show here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147814.pdf

If you want to change your ticket due to the uncertanty associated with the Covid 19 pandemic, two kinds of waivers are available which are explained here: https://www.lufthansaexperts.com/shared/files/lufthansa/public/mcms/folder_102/folder_3625/file_147655.pdf

Any changes are best done by the agency that booked your ticket. If you booked directly with LH they will handle the rebooking/reissue and/or refunds. This should be done by calling in. Online functionality of LH.com is rather poor.
Print Wikipost

Covid19: LH Group general waiver to rebook flights

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2020, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes, you're right! I'll be paying attention to what Ollie advises.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you are re-booking as far out as end-2021, I'm guessing you ran into the issue of a ticket's 12 month validity.

My ticket ends its life in February 2021, so Lufthansa refuse to re-book a trip to Buenos Aires (cancelled August 2020) to July of 2021. "Refund and buy another ticket", they say: adding some nonsense about a EUR50 discount on a fare difference of a couple of thousand dollars

I note others (among them the sainted Oliver2002) suggest ticket validity can be extended or re-issued. I welcome support for that notion, and any practical advice on how to implement it !!
I am a bit confused by this. I booked some tickets in January 2020 for travel to India November 2020. As expected, the flights have been cancelled. I still need to go to India next year, so rang both Amex travel and Lufthansa and they both confirmed that I can rebook for free for the same route and class for travel till Dec 2021 as per their COVID rebooking rules. 12 month ticker validity was never mentioned. Am I missing something here?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Dselvan
I am a bit confused by this. I booked some tickets in January 2020 for travel to India November 2020. As expected, the flights have been cancelled. I still need to go to India next year, so rang both Amex travel and Lufthansa and they both confirmed that I can rebook for free for the same route and class for travel till Dec 2021 as per their COVID rebooking rules. 12 month ticker validity was never mentioned. Am I missing something here?
I hope you are not missing anything at all, and i wish you good fortune in dealing with Lufthansa BUT your message was exactly the one I received from an agent in August: something on the lines of "leave things until next August is bookable, then if your fare-class is available we can shift your reservation across".

Sadly THREE agents yesterday disagreed. Two were M&M (Capetown, from the accents), the other Lufthansa (Lord knows where): to be honest I've never understood if M&M and Lufthansa call centres are the same thing. But everyone of them repriced the ticket, and put me on hold while they checked they were doing the right thing. Then kept going on about some crazy EUR50 bonus.

Lufthansa's agents tend to muddy the waters by talking about free rebooking, when they simple mean they will not impose rebooking charges - but they will reprice the ticket. So I'd suggest you get back to them and confirm arrangements - but please come back and report how you get on!

After Lufthansa took over three months to refund a March cancellation, then required credit card company intervention to refund another, i have limited confidence in the spirit of their customer policies and none at all in their agents' ability to interpret and implement them in any way but of benefit to the company.

My life generates a lot of travel. In contrast to the Lufthansa Muddle, my experience with other airlines in this year of cancelled trips hasn't been stellar, but it has been light-years ahead of Lufthansa:
  • Turkish extend validity and give me to end 2021 to go to my destination (Egypt), or switch (completely free) to another destination in the Middle east
  • Qatar has a generous but bonkers scheme that let me make a voluntary shift of a Bangkok booking to anywhere within 5,000 miles
  • Even British Airways comes up roses (imagine!): rebooking or blisteringly fast refund
  • Sri Lankan were not at all generous (but never pretended to be). However, they made a refund within 7 days.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I hope you are not missing anything at all, and i wish you good fortune in dealing with Lufthansa BUT your message was exactly the one I received from an agent in August: something on the lines of "leave things until next August is bookable, then if your fare-class is available we can shift your reservation across".

Sadly THREE agents yesterday disagreed. Two were M&M (Capetown, from the accents), the other Lufthansa (Lord knows where): to be honest I've never understood if M&M and Lufthansa call centres are the same thing. But everyone of them repriced the ticket, and put me on hold while they checked they were doing the right thing. Then kept going on about some crazy EUR50 bonus.

Lufthansa's agents tend to muddy the waters by talking about free rebooking, when they simple mean they will not impose rebooking charges - but they will reprice the ticket. So I'd suggest you get back to them and confirm arrangements - but please come back and report how you get on!

After Lufthansa took over three months to refund a March cancellation, then required credit card company intervention to refund another, i have limited confidence in the spirit of their customer policies and none at all in their agents' ability to interpret and implement them in any way but of benefit to the company.

My life generates a lot of travel. In contrast to the Lufthansa Muddle, my experience with other airlines in this year of cancelled trips hasn't been stellar, but it has been light-years ahead of Lufthansa:
  • Turkish extend validity and give me to end 2021 to go to my destination (Egypt), or switch (completely free) to another destination in the Middle east
  • Qatar has a generous but bonkers scheme that let me make a voluntary shift of a Bangkok booking to anywhere within 5,000 miles
  • Even British Airways comes up roses (imagine!): rebooking or blisteringly fast refund
  • Sri Lankan were not at all generous (but never pretended to be). However, they made a refund within 7 days.
Thanks IAN-UK. I will ring them again next week and see what they say. I have screenshot their COVID rebooking page which does say that it can be rebooked for free till end of Dec 2021 (For what it is worth).
My first ever trip on LH/LX long haul is not filling me with confidence!!!!
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:24 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by drvannostren
based on the reading I’ve done from the sticky, it seems like I’m entitled to a refund, by law. First question, is that correct, have it read it correctly? Next, assuming that is correct...how brutal are the processing times? I don’t desperately need the money back now (I want it back now lol) but I also don’t love having these outstanding things out there in the ether forever. I’m already worried I won’t remember to use all these credits I have before they expire, I’d rather not have to fight with LH for months over my $500.
Yes, if any flight in your trip has been cancelled you get a full refund. Refunds are now being processed faster, you will probably get it within 3-4 weeks.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
If you are re-booking as far out as end-2021, I'm guessing you ran into the issue of a ticket's 12 month validity.

My ticket ends its life in February 2021, so Lufthansa refuse to re-book a trip to Buenos Aires (cancelled August 2020) to July of 2021. "Refund and buy another ticket", they say: adding some nonsense about a EUR50 discount on a fare difference of a couple of thousand dollars

I note others (among them the sainted Oliver2002) suggest ticket validity can be extended or re-issued. I welcome support for that notion, and any practical advice on how to implement it !!
I have a bunch of LH tix issued on 220 stock in Jun/Jul 2019 for travel in May/Jun 2020 (which did not happen of course). At first the tickets were parked in April 2020 and rebooked in Jul 2020 for travel in May/Jun 2021 (if it will happen), going well beyond the original validity period. I should mention that we are talking about M&M award tickets in this case, but the travel includes a *A partner (AC). The rebooking was done via the LH SEN hotline. PNRs and ticket #s stayed the same, until the rogue cancelation bot went berserk and started cx'ing valid reservations, now we have some of the tix reissued.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cas_de
I have a bunch of LH tix issued on 220 stock in Jun/Jul 2019 for travel in May/Jun 2020 (which did not happen of course). At first the tickets were parked in April 2020 and rebooked in Jul 2020 for travel in May/Jun 2021 (if it will happen), going well beyond the original validity period. I should mention that we are talking about M&M award tickets in this case, but the travel includes a *A partner (AC). The rebooking was done via the LH SEN hotline. PNRs and ticket #s stayed the same, until the rogue cancelation bot went berserk and started cx'ing valid reservations, now we have some of the tix reissued.
Thanks, that's interesting - but maybe award tickets are a different kettle of fish, as they can always be cancelled and miles refunded ..... for a fee: then the "same" miles used for a new booking.

I'd hope the principal for cash tickets would be something on the same lines, but it might mean getting hold of a keyed-up agent to work the magic. I'll give it a couple more tries before i give i, take the refund and search around for a ticket cheaper than he Lufthansa option - probably BA.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that's interesting - but maybe award tickets are a different kettle of fish, as they can always be cancelled and miles refunded ..... for a fee: then the "same" miles used for a new booking.

I'd hope the principal for cash tickets would be something on the same lines, but it might mean getting hold of a keyed-up agent to work the magic. I'll give it a couple more tries before i give i, take the refund and search around for a ticket cheaper than he Lufthansa option - probably BA.
We are basically talking about a ticket issued on 220 stock in a specific booking class with a 12 month validity that is paid for by a different form of payment (miles). The scenario I have described here included the original tickets' validity being extended beyond the 1 year limit. The ticket still "uses" the miles that were deducted when I made the original reservation.
Old Oct 1, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by thanaset
I called them whether I can change the departing airport from AMS to MUC, they said "No" but I can change it to MUC next year with the fare difference, however, I can change the date on the same route into next year free of charge! I will wait for the situation and decide it later.
I was told the same 2 months ago when I inquired about rebooking my cancelled LH AMS-FRA-BOG return ticket (FRA-BOG obviously cancelled by LH) to FEB 2021 and departing from HAM. I quoted the "within 250 miles" practice/rule but all agents I talked to said it was only within 200 miles (distance AMS-HAM is more than 200 miles but less than 250 miles)
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cas_de
We are basically talking about a ticket issued on 220 stock in a specific booking class with a 12 month validity that is paid for by a different form of payment (miles). The scenario I have described here included the original tickets' validity being extended beyond the 1 year limit. The ticket still "uses" the miles that were deducted when I made the original reservation.
Yes, I appreciate miles are used as a currency , and ticketing should be the same as it would be for cash purchase.

But what might be a crucial difference from Lufthansa's point of view is that the fare difference between my old booking and new dates is over EUR2000 (even though in the same fare class)..... so there could be some resistance to a re-issue. It sounds petty, but who knows?
Old Oct 1, 2020, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Yes, I appreciate miles are used as a currency , and ticketing should be the same as it would be for cash purchase.

But what might be a crucial difference from Lufthansa's point of view is that the fare difference between my old booking and new dates is over EUR2000 (even though in the same fare class)..... so there could be some resistance to a re-issue. It sounds petty, but who knows?
Ouch...

Frankly spoken I would HUCA over and over again. The whole process regarding the tickets that I refer to in here took a lot of time and about 20 calls to the SEN hotline. Either the rules have been in fluid state, changing over and over again, agents were not trained/informed properly or it really depends on who you end up talking to. Good luck!
Old Oct 1, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC E75K
My OSL-FRA-BKK flights in January 2021 just had the return leg on January 4, 20201 cancelled and rebooked to January 5.

Lufthansa sent me an e-mail notifying me of the change and giving me 3 options:

We offer three options for your convenience (only one option can be selected):

1. If you agree to the proposed revised booking, please use this option and your ticket will be automatically updated with your new flight details. (If we can only offer part of your planned trip and you still want to use it, your ticket is eligible for a partial refund after your trip has been completed)

2. If you do not wish to take your trip as suggested, but want to use your ticket later based on our flexible rebooking options, please choose this option. Your booking will be cancelled. Your ticket and your booking code will remain valid and you can use them to book your new flights until 31 January 2021.

3. You are entitled to a refund if your flight has been cancelled or a schedule change is causing a time change of more than two hours to the departure and/or arrival time. If this applies to your ticket, you may submit it for a refund using this option. All remaining flights of your itinerary will be cancelled.
For option 2, is it reasonable that they are only allowing me to move it within the same month?

And if I'm concerned that schedules might change again, how long do I have to decide on which option to take before I'm defaulted into option 1?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 1, 2020, 4:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yes, if any flight in your trip has been cancelled you get a full refund. Refunds are now being processed faster, you will probably get it within 3-4 weeks.
Brilliant thanks! Now, just have to deal with the OTA...bleh
Old Oct 1, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Originally Posted by capedreamer
My OSL-FRA-BKK flights in January 2021 just had the return leg on January 4, 20201 cancelled and rebooked to January 5.

Lufthansa sent me an e-mail notifying me of the change and giving me 3 options:

For option 2, is it reasonable that they are only allowing me to move it within the same month?

And if I'm concerned that schedules might change again, how long do I have to decide on which option to take before I'm defaulted into option 1?

Many thanks!
Either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your POV at least you've got option 3. I would just take that and reset. Unfortunately some of these airlines are punishing those of us who bought way in advance with these ticket lifetimes. Westjet (in Canada) meanwhile recently when I called them gave me 2 years of life on the ticket AND even the agent said "you just have to book before then, and you can book almost a year out, so you basically have 3 years". So I would just take your money and run, it's only unfortunate in the case where you may have gotten a really sweet deal like I did with LH and now cant travel at all. But that's not LH's fault that's just the world in it's current state, so I'll take my $500 back and be thankful that I got lucky they cancelled my flight rather than just rescheduling me, though they tried to give me the same option as you, they pushed me on to a flight the next day.
Old Oct 2, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Either fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your POV at least you've got option 3. I would just take that and reset. Unfortunately some of these airlines are punishing those of us who bought way in advance with these ticket lifetimes. Westjet (in Canada) meanwhile recently when I called them gave me 2 years of life on the ticket AND even the agent said "you just have to book before then, and you can book almost a year out, so you basically have 3 years". So I would just take your money and run, it's only unfortunate in the case where you may have gotten a really sweet deal like I did with LH and now cant travel at all. But that's not LH's fault that's just the world in it's current state, so I'll take my $500 back and be thankful that I got lucky they cancelled my flight rather than just rescheduling me, though they tried to give me the same option as you, they pushed me on to a flight the next day.
Unfortunately, it's been so long since I bought this ticket originally that the credit card I used for it is now closed. So if I request a refund, I'm not sure it'll be even possible for me to get the money back. :/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.