Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2019, 3:50 pm
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Around a week ago I arrived from HKG in F, and decided to head to the FCL A before heading to the FCT. Big mistake. 0/10 Would not recommend. Go to the FCT directly.

I pride myself in never having to open my bags at security (except for the occasional random bomb test, which, when i‘m traveling with my military backpack, leads to funny situations).
There were hardly any people in line but the whole ordeal took ages. Keep in mind this is the J/F line.
The weird body scanner thing beeped with everyone and everybody was being sent to secondary screening. Same with the bags. Not one bag did they let through uncheck.
They had issues with my camera lenses and with my laptop charging cable, which I apparently need to take out of my bag together with the tablet and laptop. (I‘ve never done so and never heard that rule before and I‘m not planning on doing so in the future, except in FRA).

In the end I‘ve probably spent a good 40 minutes there mostly just waiting. At every other airport we’d have been through in 5 minutes max. Since we hadn‘t too much time left then +1 was too stressed to head to the FCT and in the brief visit of the FCL A I even forgot to collect my rubber duck.

Bloody ridiculous.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:19 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems they are testing new procedures, if you have only one piece of handbaggage you get a separate lane:

The situation NR witnessed was because the traditional area had a power outage:

Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Complaints submitted by email to the bupol FRA take 4-6 weeks to respond to:

Old Sep 24, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
They are taking M&M response times as a benchmark...
At least you don't have to send a fax.
Tyrolean, chris63 and Kleffen like this.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Around a week ago I arrived from HKG in F, and decided to head to the FCL A before heading to the FCT. Big mistake. 0/10 Would not recommend. Go to the FCT directly.

Bloody ridiculous.
Thats FRA, security & or immigration lines can be overwhelmed, only safe course of action is to head to FCT
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:48 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
The situation NR witnessed was because the traditional area had a power outage:

https://twitter.com/bpol_air_fra/sta...41910324125696
Mmmhh not sure, I understood NR this situation has been in place since 4 weeks.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Mmmhh not sure, I understood NR this situation has been in place since 4 weeks.
No their point was that on Monday the old security stations were shutdown due to a power outage.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:07 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

I agree, but that did not create the situation NewbieRunner saw, as I observed the same everytime I went at FRA in the last 4 weeks. Or am I missing something ?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I agree, but that did not create the situation NewbieRunner saw, as I observed the same everytime I went at FRA in the last 4 weeks. Or am I missing something ?
No, the new flow is permanent (for now) to provide more stations. This flow was created as a result of BuPo, Fraport and Lufthansa meeting earlier this year. The stations being down on monday was because of the power outage.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 7:29 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Gotcha, thanks
Old Sep 24, 2019, 10:40 am

Completely jet lagged (via flight from excellent security as always MUC ) but if I read that correctly, it refers to the section at the very far right where they sometimes open extra security lanes around midday. They are often shielded off with screens.

I do wonder why when using the F/*G security lanes at MUC on the far right, there are not people being re-searched like with the same frequency as FRA. Perhaps we have fewer Tempos, and fewer pleats, and sweat less at MUC?!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 3:33 pm

Sorry the MUC security false positives are a joke too. Last week it didn't like the fact that I have a full sleeve undershirt.
Old Sep 24, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
If I land in Fra from US and it pulls into one of the Z gates, do I have to go through security to get to the A gates?

last time I was in Fra I came from India and landed at Z gates, and I had to go through security to get to A gates.
However, I remember I landed once from US at Z, and didn’t have to go through security, only passport.

Does the country of departure determine whether it’s security, or is the entire thing random?
Old Sep 24, 2019, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Kleffen
If I land in Fra from US and it pulls into one of the Z gates, do I have to go through security to get to the A gates?

last time I was in Fra I came from India and landed at Z gates, and I had to go through security to get to A gates.
However, I remember I landed once from US at Z, and didn’t have to go through security, only passport.

Does the country of departure determine whether it’s security, or is the entire thing random?
Right. No security (only passports) because you're coming from the US, which is considered "clean".
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
IUnfortunately the experiment didn’t work since there was someone sitting on the Schengen/landside B/C platform preventing anyone going to A. The sign at the bottom of the escalator I posted in the FRA connection thread no longer mentioned A gates.
During my last transit I was transferring and had no security, but while passing I also noticed the exit in A towards the SkyLine - the exit guarded with a staff member who assumes you don't know where you are going notwithstanding the clear signage - was roped off with a sign saying that it was out of use.

Hope they're just remodeling/renovating that area and they're not doing away with the station. I've always been concerned with the very low foot traffic in this station, probably not because of lack of organic demand but because FRA advertises it so badly. The exit with the guard - when in use - doesn't look too inviting to use either, if you didn't check the sign you'd assume it was a staff-only exit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.