Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by ecc
Oof. I got one of these 'warning, expect long queues, arrive early' emails from Lufthansa. Have a 1 hour connection from AC876 to LH816/AC9015 to Gothenburg.
Hopefully it won't be too bad for connecting pax (and I should be able to go in any priority lanes, *G.
Wish me luck. If people are interested I'll let you know if I make it.
Good luck.... but the very long lines atm are for pax originating at FRA, B connection security was clear all of Wednesday afternoon & evening.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 1:25 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Can anyone explain why all of this is happening at FRA?

Anywhere else in the bigger airports in Europe, it’s usually quite smooth to transit. CPH, AMS, MUC etc. are all pleasant, coming and going from pretty much anywhere... However in FRAnkenstein, not only is the place a maze and seems to have random security points, but it’s also so strict now that it sounds unbearable unless you’re in F and can run to the FCT...
I don’t disagree that FRA security has problems but in addition to AMS you should be comparing FRA with other larger European airports such as LHR and CDG. MUC is about 60% the size of FRA and CPH is less than 50% in terms of passenger numbers.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kleffen
Can anyone explain why all of this is happening at FRA?

Anywhere else in the bigger airports in Europe, it’s usually quite smooth to transit. CPH, AMS, MUC etc. are all pleasant, coming and going from pretty much anywhere... However in FRAnkenstein, not only is the place a maze and seems to have random security points, but it’s also so strict now that it sounds unbearable unless you’re in F and can run to the FCT...
FRAPORT couldn’t organise a ‘Piss up in a Brewery’ , just look at the layout , it needs demolishing & a new Airport

I simply wouldn’t use the place if I wasn’t HON.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
There seems to be serious problems with staffing at FraSec where the security people are employed at. Even though verdi negotiated a better wage for them it seems sick outs are super high and they can't find new employees... 16,63€/h is the headline offer https://www.frasec.de/stellenanzeige...ug-de-j39.html It seems verdi wanted 20€, and the wage agreement is 19 by 2021.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
There seems to be serious problems with staffing at FraSec where the security people are employed at. Even though verdi negotiated a better wage for them it seems sick outs are super high and they can't find new employees... 16,63€/h is the headline offer https://www.frasec.de/stellenanzeige...ug-de-j39.html It seems verdi wanted 20€, and the wage agreement is 19 by 2021.
Catering is a similar problem, no one want’s the jobs on the pay offered.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 4:18 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

It should be possible to reduce the number of passengers having to go through transfer security unnecessarily by allowing certain passengers arriving in B non-Schengen to enter the terminal on the departure level and making passport control checkpoints on level 2 near the Goethe Bar to work in both directions. Currently these checkpoints are for Schengen > non-Schengen only. All arriving AC and SQ passengers and passengers from the UK, Ireland and occasionally the US must clear transfer security if they arrive in B though these countries are all considered “clean”. It will allow passengers connecting to A to go to their gate via the tunnel without clearing transfer security. Additionally they should make the B-Z transfer bus a permanent feature in both directions.

They should also make more use of AEUW bus gates instead of ANS, and allow more flights from the UK and Ireland to arrive at Z gates in the evening after US departures from Z.

These measures don’t help the long delays in A security but the current arrangements give me the impression that they are trying to make as many transfer passengers to go through security as possible.
Xyzzy, chris63 and MichielR like this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:03 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by chris63
Good luck.... but the very long lines atm are for pax originating at FRA, B connection security was clear all of Wednesday afternoon & evening.
Missed the connection.
Inbound landed on time and taxied for at least 20 minutes...to C gates. Mad dash to connect to A via the train, used fast lane at security (flight was listed) and they worked so... slowly. Then they swabbed all my camera gear.
Used EU automated immigration (I'm an EU citizen) and ran to the gate (A20)
They already closed it as it was a bus gate and they let the last bus leave. Rebooked on LH 818. Enjoying the senator lounge in the meantime.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:11 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Exclamation ? UK not clean in FRA ?

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It should be possible to reduce the number of passengers having to go through transfer security unnecessarily by allowing certain passengers arriving in B non-Schengen to enter the terminal on the departure level and making passport control checkpoints on level 2 near the Goethe Bar to work in both directions.
This is done very well at ZRH arriving at the D gates, only passport control, no security for transferring ex clean countries.

Had also a bad experience in FRA last week when arriving from the UK. The lady at the connecting gate (older experienced looking staff member) after having kindly waited for me before closing the flight, stated that "we do not consider flights from the UK as clean". Well, this might be a consequence of Brexit .

This said the whole security procedure in FRA is extremely slow, but hopefully at least efficient. Rating FRA behind SA airports like BOG; GIG or SCL . In the long run a negative image for an airline like LH.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by ecc
Missed the connection.
Inbound landed on time and taxied for at least 20 minutes...to C gates. Mad dash to connect to A via the train, used fast lane at security (flight was listed) and they worked so... slowly. Then they swabbed all my camera gear.
They already closed it as it was a bus gate and they let the last bus leave. Rebooked on LH 818. Enjoying the senator lounge in the meantime.
Thanks for the update. I’m sorry you missed the connection but at least you seem to be enjoying the SEN lounge.

I’m surprised you ended up in C. I thought all AC flights used B gates.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by behuman
This is done very well at ZRH arriving at the D gates, only passport control, no security for transferring ex clean countries.

Had also a bad experience in FRA last week when arriving from the UK. The lady at the connecting gate (older experienced looking staff member) after having kindly waited for me before closing the flight, stated that "we do not consider flights from the UK as clean". Well, this might be a consequence of Brexit .
It works at ZRH to an extent but if your connecting flight leaves from E you have to go through transfer security once you arrive in E or go through passport control twice - into A and out of A - to avoid security. I’ve done both in both directions and it’s hard to tell which is faster. Neither is convenient.

However, it works every time in MUC! Their people carrier has three sections so riding the people carrier between T2 and T2 Satellite doesn’t involve having to clear security as it does in FRA and ZRH.

The UK is “clean” (for now anyway ) but in FRA it all depends on where your flight arrives. AEUW and Z gates are clean arrivals , everywhere else is unclean.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got a 45 min connection shortly. After reading this, I’m not optimistic I’ll be tucked up in my crisp white bedding that night. Nor am I optimistic that my flight will be fully catered!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ecc
Missed the connection.
That’s FRA & you landed on time, so quite why LH continue to sell these ‘mission impossible ‘ connections is beyond me & a lot of others....

You would have enjoyed the AC ML lounge even more but that’s at B43

What is your delay at final destination ?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Got a 45 min connection shortly. After reading this, I’m not optimistic I’ll be tucked up in my crisp white bedding that night. Nor am I optimistic that my flight will be fully catered!
Maybe your expecting too much from a 5* airline ? At its major hub ?
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
It should be possible to reduce the number of passengers having to go through transfer security unnecessarily by allowing certain passengers arriving in B non-Schengen to enter the terminal on the departure level and making passport control checkpoints on level 2 near the Goethe Bar to work in both directions. Currently these checkpoints are for Schengen > non-Schengen only. All arriving AC and SQ passengers and passengers from the UK, Ireland and occasionally the US must clear transfer security if they arrive in B though these countries are all considered “clean”. It will allow passengers connecting to A to go to their gate via the tunnel without clearing transfer security. Additionally they should make the B-Z transfer bus a permanent feature in both directions.

They should also make more use of AEUW bus gates instead of ANS, and allow more flights from the UK and Ireland to arrive at Z gates in the evening after US departures from Z.

These measures don’t help the long delays in A security but the current arrangements give me the impression that they are trying to make as many transfer passengers to go through security as possible.
Exactly !
i vote to put you in charge at FRA for a few hours & it will be solved, all that is needed is some common sense,something totally lacking at FRAPORT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.