Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The two states near FRA (Hessen & R-P) have school holidays this and next week, so things will stay cray cray in FRA for a while.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:23 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems they are testing new procedures, if you have only one piece of handbaggage you get a separate lane:
https://twitter.com/bpol_air_fra/sta...32114624405505
i used this last Friday instead of the fast track and this was the speediest I ever went through in the last 18 months. Queue was 15 people deep but it went fast and dare I say, efficiently.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Total disaster today (as last time 2 weeks ago) at normal security checkpoints for A/Z gates: All 20+ 'old' inspection lanes were closed again. The app showed 'low queuing time' (LOL). Eco lane had 300+ people, ~50 in the priority lane in front of the closed 'old' inspection lanes. Then the Eco and priority lanes were merged, everyone had to go to the 'new' building (see post #192 ), where eco and priority lanes were split again. More queues (200+ in Eco, 50+ in prioriy lanes). My laptop bag and suitcase were manually inspected (as >50% of all other bags). Although my pockets were completely empty, no belt, no metal items, I had a manual intensive pat down. Then had to take off my shoes, which were manually x-rayed. Finally a wipe test for explosives. Needless to say that with the same luggage and clothes, nothing of this happened in GVA, ZRH, MUC, VIE, ... and I passed security on <5 min. Whole waiting+procedure took almost 40 minutes. Don't remember to have ever waited that long at security in the past 10 years. And all this at 1:50 PM on a wednesday - hardly rush hour.
chris63 and hugolover like this.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
LH sent me 2 emails today warning about extra time at security, 2 mails for one connection, they must have expected Armageddon
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Viennafly
Total disaster today (as last time 2 weeks ago) at normal security checkpoints for A/Z gates: All 20+ 'old' inspection lanes were closed again. The app showed 'low queuing time' (LOL). Eco lane had 300+ people, ~50 in the priority lane in front of the closed 'old' inspection lanes. Then the Eco and priority lanes were merged, everyone had to go to the 'new' building (see post #192 ), where eco and priority lanes were split again. More queues (200+ in Eco, 50+ in prioriy lanes). My laptop bag and suitcase were manually inspected (as >50% of all other bags). Although my pockets were completely empty, no belt, no metal items, I had a manual intensive pat down. Then had to take off my shoes, which were manually x-rayed. Finally a wipe test for explosives. Needless to say that with the same luggage and clothes, nothing of this happened in GVA, ZRH, MUC, VIE, ... and I passed security on <5 min. Whole waiting+procedure took almost 40 minutes. Don't remember to have ever waited that long at security in the past 10 years. And all this at 1:50 PM on a wednesday - hardly rush hour.
Could this be the extra scrutiny after the shooting at Halle?
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bearchemist
Could this be the extra scrutiny after the shooting at Halle?
Not unless FRAPORT have a Crystal ball 🔮

Lines to access A & Z security are insane this evening.
Boraxo and hugolover like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:14 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Currently in Fast track for A checkpoint. Same experience as viennaflyer described. 30 minutes i am queuing and estimate 10 more.
Situation bad enough that several people in regular economy (2+ hour queue) started shooting. Polizei had to be summoned for crowd control.
It must change, this is not sustainable.
Lane for passengers with small bag closed.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Shooting? I guess pax are really aggrieved
chris63, fransknorge and Fabo.sk like this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:09 am

Mmmh, well I guess everybody understood I meant shouting. Nevertheless they are aggrieved, first time I saw Polizei summoned by FRA to handle the crowd in the queue.
It took me 45 minutes, for a queue 50 people deep, one lane open.
For economy there were 5 lanes open. For a queue so deep it extend to the checkin area.
hugolover likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, only jest.

I hope no one dared to take a pic of the queue for evidential purposes! Off to das Gefängnis.
chris63 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:25 am

I did It is online ( not here though)
Old Oct 12, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
Of course, only jest.

I hope no one dared to take a pic of the queue for evidential purposes! Off to das Gefängnis.
Tried that on Wednesday evening, my camera didn’t have a wide enough angle
NewbieRunner likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Can anyone explain why all of this is happening at FRA?

Anywhere else in the bigger airports in Europe, it’s usually quite smooth to transit. CPH, AMS, MUC etc. are all pleasant, coming and going from pretty much anywhere... However in FRAnkenstein, not only is the place a maze and seems to have random security points, but it’s also so strict now that it sounds unbearable unless you’re in F and can run to the FCT...
Old Oct 12, 2019, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Can anyone explain why all of this is happening at FRA?

Anywhere else in the bigger airports in Europe, it’s usually quite smooth to transit. CPH, AMS, MUC etc. are all pleasant, coming and going from pretty much anywhere... However in FRAnkenstein, not only is the place a maze and seems to have random security points, but it’s also so strict now that it sounds unbearable unless you’re in F and can run to the FCT...
I am not sure why it's generally FRA but I have also seen MUC more ridiculous than FRA. However, I'm talking about MUC Terminal 1 which is the other terminal rather than the one which LH and their partners operate from.

For FRA, I could tell that they are really bad at operations. The same day ( a few months ago), where someone complained the A central security only had one lane open for all passengers, there were 6 ( out of 8 ) lanes open at gates C13-C16 for three flights ( LH to TLV, LH to MIA, QR to DOH ). But, I could tell that sometimes secret security checkpoints in FRA work well. Such as the B-East checkpoint is generally less crowded than any of the A checkpoints, except the secret one so it might be more easy to clear security at B and take the tunnel to A. This is only one of the tricks in FRA.

For AMS and CPH, I wouldn't be able to comment on them as I haven't visited them in the last few years.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:23 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Oof. I got one of these 'warning, expect long queues, arrive early' emails from Lufthansa. Have a 1 hour connection from AC876 to LH816/AC9015 to Gothenburg.
Hopefully it won't be too bad for connecting pax (and I should be able to go in any priority lanes, *G.
Wish me luck. If people are interested I'll let you know if I make it.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by ecc; Oct 12, 2019 at 4:24 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.