Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Thanks for the respomses.

I've been avoiding FRA for years as I find it a worse experience even than LHR which is saying something but on this occasion there isn't much choice.

I would happily connect in WAW but I really don't want to fly the 7M8 any time in the next twelve months - until it is proved safe.

Getting away from LHR should not be a problem as it would the the 06.30 departure but the 60 mins in FRA bothers me. I think my solution has become to get away the evening before which with a bit of planning I should be able to do and arrive in VNO about midnight. If that goes wrong LH will have to accomodate me at FRA and get me to VNO the next morning and I will have plenty of time to deal with FRA.

The other very real consideration which is a headache to far more than me is we currently have no idea about immigration clearance if Brexsh*t goes ahead, our politicians fiddle while business goes to pot.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lhrpete

I've been avoiding FRA for years as I find it a worse experience even than LHR which is saying something but on this occasion there isn't much choice.

I would happily connect in WAW but I really don't want to fly the 7M8 any time in the next twelve months - until it is proved safe.

Getting away from LHR should not be a problem as it would the the 06.30 departure but the 60 mins in FRA bothers me. I think my solution has become to get away the evening before which with a bit of planning I should be able to do and arrive in VNO about midnight. If that goes wrong LH will have to accomodate me at FRA and get me to VNO the next morning and I will have plenty of time to deal with FRA.

The other very real consideration which is a headache to far more than me is we currently have no idea about immigration clearance if Brexsh*t goes ahead, our politicians fiddle while business goes to pot.
FRA, LHR & CDG seem to be in a competition as to which can cause pax more angst, the Jury is still out ....

As our leaderine said , Brexit means Brexit
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:50 am

Last week they rudely stopped everybody to even enter the main terminal A security line. Official reason overcrowded... only pax to BRU and MUC were allowed. All other were directed to the Skytrain „to find another security checkpoint“

My parents (above 70 and not well travelled) where totally lost. I managed to navigate them to the other A pier security check point by phone but that was really nasty!
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
I usually arrive FRA from the UK on an apron position. Almost every time we're bussed into the B arrivals zone (via the dungeon), which means re-clearing security for all connecting flights.

Very rarely, and for reasons I can never work out, we're bussed into an arrival point next to B63, which is in the secure non-Schengen departures area. That means you can connect to other B gates without security - although getting to A/Z means leaving the secure area and re-clearing security.

If there's a shuttle bus from B20 to Z, that would fix that problem.

However, that requires two things to be true:
* UK arrivals into the secure non-Schengen area (either by gate disembarkation or bus arrival to B63)
* The B-Z shuttle running usefully.

Neither of those seems to be the case, which is FRA levels of baffling. I wonder if it's to do with tighter screening requirements for the US which require screening at the airport of boarding?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by chris63
FRA, LHR & CDG seem to be in a competition as to which can cause pax more angst, the Jury is still out ...
I didn't experience any problems at CDG, but I would concur that over the past 2 years, security screening at FRA and LHR was far worse than anything I've experienced at any US airport. Of course we have precheck and clear here...

For me the liquids nonsense is the biggest headache. US TSA does not require me to remove the liquid ziplocs from my carryon items (I have one in each) and allows me to brings 500 ml bottles (with or without liquid). FRA and LHR insist that everything be removed from the suitcase and shoved into one small Ziploc, though I successfully ran my gel shave cream through a separate suitcase at FRA. The belt removal is also annoying, but that's another matter.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
LCY-VNO

Did you look into the new nonstop flights on LO instead out of LCY instead? quite convenient schedule
LO272 LCY VNO 9.35A 2.35P and LO274 LCY VNO 6.40P 11.40P on E90

Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swaigiux
Did you look into the new nonstop flights on LO instead out of LCY instead? quite convenient schedule
LO272 LCY VNO 9.35A 2.35P and LO274 LCY VNO 6.40P 11.40P on E90
Thank you!

I live close to LHR and so the other London airports are usually below my radar and I had no idea that LO operated LCY-VNO. The schedule works perfectly for the outbound, returing from TLL is less than perfect with quite a long layover in WAW but I'd rather that than a tight transit of FRA.

Does anyone know, do LO block a seat next to you in business on the E190? From the seatmap it wasn't obvious but in any event it's all booked.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Thank you!

I live close to LHR and so the other London airports are usually below my radar and I had no idea that LO operated LCY-VNO. The schedule works perfectly for the outbound, returing from TLL is less than perfect with quite a long layover in WAW but I'd rather that than a tight transit of FRA.

Does anyone know, do LO block a seat next to you in business on the E190? From the seatmap it wasn't obvious but in any event it's all booked.
Yes they block the adjacent seat in C.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MichielR
Yes they block the adjacent seat in C.
Thank you.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 6:15 pm

Hi. Do they use remote gates for A380s? I arrive from SFO on one and then have 95 minutes for a connection to WAW. Should I be concerned? Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Hi. Do they use remote gates for A380s? I arrive from SFO on one and then have 95 minutes for a connection to WAW. Should I be concerned? Thanks!
No, never.

Arrival from SFO is at Z and your WAW departure will almost certainly be from A. 95 minutes is ample time for such a connection.
daisyatl likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:17 pm

No, never.

Arrival from SFO is at Z and your WAW departure will almost certainly be from A. 95 minutes is ample time for such a connection.
Thank you. I would be surprised with such a big plane if they did use remote gates but you never know...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by daisyatl
Thank you. I would be surprised with such a big plane if they did use remote gates but you never know...
i don’t think they even have stairs for the upper deck...
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.

i don’t think they even have stairs for the upper deck...
I presume they must have for safety reasons, TG even use bus gates for A380 @ BKK, they certainly have the stairs & a lot of buses
Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH HON

No, never.

not correct.

1. I had one departure and two arrivals on apron with a 380 so far. It’s rare but it happens
2. Arrival might as well be in B or C. Today’s LH455 for example is scheduled to arrived into C16.

while it is usually a gate arrival in Z, it’s not always
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.