Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The sales guys for these scanners (shown in the background of the picture) are pretty successful, I saw them in JFK T1 in October and there are two lanes in MUC with them. The fact that liquids are now supposed to stay in your bags may speed up the process in the beginning, but slows it in the end, as the system flags far too many bags for having liquids in them . But still better than the liquids mess in LHR
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The sales guys for these scanners (shown in the background of the picture) are pretty successful, I saw them in JFK T1 in October and there are two lanes in MUC with them. The fact that liquids are now supposed to stay in your bags may speed up the process in the beginning, but slows it in the end, as the system flags far too many bags for having liquids in them . But still better than the liquids mess in LHR
LHR T2 has some, as does LCY. In short, in my experiences with them, they work in that I don't need to take everything out of my bag. However it's still not as good as TSA PreCheck.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:16 am

The "new" machines at LHR T2 are located on the right-hand side when entering/facing security, the "other side" is still "old" equipment. Even my home airport has had 2 CT scanners for quite some time now (however, since last December, staff are again asking to put laptops out...).

G
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:26 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by oliver2002
I think it's the same as in AMS, or at least very similar.

Scanning is slower than before, but when taking into account that you don't have to unpack liquids and electronics, I would say total processing is faster, not to mention more comfortable.

Question is what is the false positive rate. AMS was always trigger happy re. secondary inspections, even before these machines, maybe in hands of a company with different approach it will result in higher proportion of secondary.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:57 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Its not in the hands of the operator... if the algorithm of the equipment flags the item to be suspicious it is automatically pulled out and queued for secondary inspection. The human sitting in front of the screen has no discretion.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:12 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
There's gotta be a slider somewhere. Even if it is set only during the installation of the system.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 7:20 am

I think what would speed things up more than CT scanners:
  • Pax not trying to pack the contents of a large Costco into their hand luggage
  • Pax realising that they are in an airport scanning queue and removing belts, coats, etc before reaching the conveyor belt.
  • Special for LHR T2 - scanning operator not getting up and going for a tea break without anyone to take over.
chris63 and Harper50505 like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: LH MM SEN & many others+++
Originally Posted by hugolover
LOL. In Soviet Russia maybe.
sorry for replying after 1mo, but I have to say this:

Thailand, BKK, DEC 2019:
After 3h waiting in line at passport control, I took one (1) picture to what was about 2500 people crammed on multiple queues and in a total chaos.

In a couple of minutes a very aggressive lady come by and confiscated my phone. We spent 2 more hours after clearing the passport control, trying to get my phone back - many of our reservations were in there and we were counting on it for roaming. They humiliate us as much as they could, pressing for apologies, making us deleting the photo and going through our pictures as they pleased.

It was very interesting they found the time to scan the audience for taking pictures and do all this policing but not to speed up the queue.

I assure you, many other countries are worse in 2023 than the defunct CCCP in 1989.

And I know what I'm talking about: I survived one of the most brutal communist regimes.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:43 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
At FRA T1, zone A, security lane 1 and 2, so in the *G fast track there is currently a test machine. There is no explanation what it does except a sign saying this is not part of the security procedure and is voluntarily. Despite this the staff force people to go through it, saying you will not fly if you refuse. To be clear after going through it you still need to do the entire security screening. The Polizei agent I talked said the staff was correct.
i reached out to Fraport who confirms this is purely optional and refusing should have no effect whatsoever on your security screening. So please do not cave if you want to refuse.

chris63 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I assume you didn’t want to refuse but wanted to have the right to clarified?

People overstepping their authority was the hallmark of the last few years and supported by many, nevertheless, it’s surprising to hear you may want to refuse to undergo the screening.
Harper50505 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 8:51 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It is not a screening. Actually there is no description of what this does, what data it collects and for what purpose. It is clearly written however it is not a part of the security screening.
chris63 and the810 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.