Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2019, 10:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by chris63
Exactly !
i vote to put you in charge at FRA for a few hours & it will be solved, all that is needed is some common sense,something totally lacking at FRAPORT
Thanks! Will I get 20€ per hour for those few hours?
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Thanks! Will I get 20€ per hour for those few hours?

I imagine FRAPORT pays big money to professional consultants
Old Oct 13, 2019, 9:31 pm
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by chris63
That’s FRA & you landed on time, so quite why LH continue to sell these ‘mission impossible ‘ connections is beyond me & a lot of others....

You would have enjoyed the AC ML lounge even more but that’s at B43

What is your delay at final destination ?
To be fair, it was AC that sold the fare. And they base around FRA's MCTs. clearly the MCTs need to be higher of the German authorities are being dumb with security checks - CATSA and TSA have the same standards and Canada considers EU clean for security purposes (via ITD OSS in select airports.)

I quite enjoyed the senator lounge in A.
The shower was nice, especially after the mad dash across the terminal. Then I chilled out for a while - ate some meatloaf like sausage, some braised pork cheek, some apricot dumplings in vanilla sauce, and various nibbles and goodies. Had some lovely weissbeir, and some champagne, and watched the planes on the tarmac (+ napped a bit) on the sofas.

Total delay was abit over 5 hours. Don't think I can get EU 216 as it's a ticket sold by AC (014 ticket stock) and the delay was on ACs side (and departed from a non EU airport on a non EU carrier. Canada's delay compensation rules aren't in effect yet till December either.stated reason for the delay/super long taxiing: "This flight is delayed due to airport facility limitations."

But, made it safe and sound (even though the flight from FRA-GOT was not comfortable at all I had nabbed the emergency exit on 816, and got 25F on 818 (a320). Tight quarters. Thankfully my checked luggage made it as well.

I think I'm going to do my best to avoid FRA in the future. Have had good connections (albeit with very rude immigration officers) in the past via MUC, so may try that next time I need to fly to Germany. Next time I'm headed to GOT, I'll consider routing via ZRH or CPH. Probably need to hit LEJ in December, so we'll see.
It's always an interesting experience for me going through German security and immigration. But that's a topic for another thread, I suspect.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by ecc
Canada's delay compensation rules aren't in effect yet till December either.stated reason for the delay/super long taxiing: "This flight is delayed due to airport facility limitations."
As far as I understand Canada’s new passenger rights, that reason is not covered by them after December as well.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 3:44 am
ecc

Programs: Air Canada/Aeroplan E50K, Mariott Gold Elite, Hotels.com Gold, Best Western Diamond Select,
Originally Posted by thbe
As far as I understand Canada’s new passenger rights, that reason is not covered by them after December as well.
Quite possibly not, I'm really not sure. The new law is about as impermeable as a wide sive
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Viennafly
Total disaster today (as last time 2 weeks ago) at normal security checkpoints for A/Z gates: All 20+ 'old' inspection lanes were closed again. The app showed 'low queuing time' (LOL). Eco lane had 300+ people, ~50 in the priority lane in front of the closed 'old' inspection lanes. Then the Eco and priority lanes were merged, everyone had to go to the 'new' building where eco and priority lanes were split again. More queues (200+ in Eco, 50+ in prioriy lanes). My laptop bag and suitcase were manually inspected (as >50% of all other bags). Although my pockets were completely empty, no belt, no metal items, I had a manual intensive pat down. Then had to take off my shoes, which were manually x-rayed. Finally a wipe test for explosives. Needless to say that with the same luggage and clothes, nothing of this happened in GVA, ZRH, MUC, VIE, ... and I passed security on <5 min. Whole waiting+procedure took almost 40 minutes. Don't remember to have ever waited that long at security in the past 10 years. And all this at 1:50 PM on a wednesday - hardly rush hour.
OMG, same exact thing for me today, absolutely ridiculous screening, worse than I've every had anywhere, with the same exact laptop bag that I carry around the world (which is indeed full of electronics).
But as a bonus, I had a very thorough patdown of my testicles, penis and but crack, because their machine said so. I had nothing on me, no metal, nothing. But just to make sure, they Xrayed my shoes and a plastic transparent tooth retainer I had in my pocket. What a bunch of clowns!
FRA, never again if I can avoid it at all.
Koby, chris63, hugolover and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:54 pm
ecc

Originally Posted by Marc Mer Lin
OMG, same exact thing for me today, absolutely ridiculous screening, worse than I've every had anywhere, with the same exact laptop bag that I carry around the world (which is indeed full of electronics).
But as a bonus, I had a very thorough patdown of my testicles, penis and but crack, because their machine said so. I had nothing on me, no metal, nothing. But just to make sure, they Xrayed my shoes and a plastic transparent tooth retainer I had in my pocket. What a bunch of clowns!
FRA, never again if I can avoid it at all.
I too got one pipi touch from security because the machine said so (logo showed an exclamation mark right on my genitals) but I assumed it was the German authorities way of trying to make me happy for the terribly slow security service which was causing me to miss my connection. I had nothing in my pockets, not even plastic or paper. The only thing in my pants was my Jewish genitalia. Maybe the body scanner is actually a circumcision detector? (Yes, I'm being sarcastic, clearly, lest people get up in arms. I think my sarcasm is well justified).

Either way, the kind older German man didn't use the back of his hands as is customary by TSA/CATSA but just went and grabbed my junk full on. I made sure to look him in the eye and smile slightly, lest he be uncomfortable.

They then swabbed all my cameras for explosive residue for God knows what reason...they clearly saw it was camera equipment on the X-ray and asked about it explicitly.
Boraxo, Koby and chris63 like this.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
Reading this, it seems I was lucky last week: also got the email from LH about "longer security check times" and was at the airport 1.5 hours before departure of my flight (which was then delayed by 1 hour, but that's another story).

Went into the security check area and thought: oh, not too terrible - until I realized that they had changed the setup and there were long queues in front of the new security check space in A. Was in the *G line thank God, but it still took 35 mins until exiting the check (again, I was lucky as no padding, no luggage inspection, no nothing).
They had "Blockabfertigung" from the old to the new area, and once I finally entered there and the lanes split again for *G vs. economy, the lady standing there told me: go to economy, that's much faster. And indeed - while there were only ~30 people in the business lane, there was only 1 station open. For the ~200 people in economy, it was like 10 stations, and the line moved way quicker.

Colleagues which I met by chance said they weren't in the *G line and it took them more than 1 hour for the whole process (this was at 2:30pm - I guess not the busiest time).
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: TK *G
Reading all of this, I am getting a bit nervous about my flight connections through FRA in the upcoming weeks. Have not transited trough FRA for ages..
Does all this mean that there is basically always a queue of more than one hour? Are there certain weekdays, times of the days or connections (schengen-non schengen etc) that are worse than others?

My example: OSL – FRA – ADD transiting FRA at Sunday at noon and on the way back transiting on a Tuesday early in the morning. Transit time is 1h40min each. Is that risky (with *G)?
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:10 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Outbound you should not see any security, on the return you have to be careful and avoid the A checkpoint.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:12 am

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by toctoc
Reading all of this, I am getting a bit nervous about my flight connections through FRA in the upcoming weeks. Have not transited trough FRA for ages..
Does all this mean that there is basically always a queue of more than one hour? Are there certain weekdays, times of the days or connections (schengen-non schengen etc) that are worse than others?

My example: OSL – FRA – ADD transiting FRA at Sunday at noon and on the way back transiting on a Tuesday early in the morning. Transit time is 1h40min each. Is that risky (with *G)?
Suppose it depends where the ADD flight is departing from. Reckon OSL arrives at A, so you might not have to do security at all, unless it’s in C. B and Z would only require passport control, coming from OSL, going to ADD unless it’s in C.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:22 am

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Kleffen
Suppose it depends where the ADD flight is departing from. Reckon OSL arrives at A, so you might not have to do security at all, unless it’s in C. B and Z would only require passport control, coming from OSL, going to ADD unless it’s in C.
its usually leaving from a bus gate in B
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For sure KRK will go from A and I’ll be coming from UK. With my 50 minutes what would the best security scenario to make the connection?

Last time I had an issue where the flight went from A40, which is the most furthest gate and I just couldn’t get there fast enough before it closed.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:00 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by toctoc
its usually leaving from a bus gate in B
On the way to ADD just walk through the tunnel to B and go through passport control at the end.
chris63 likes this.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Oct 15, 2019 at 9:21 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 15, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
For sure KRK will go from A and I’ll be coming from UK. With my 50 minutes what would the best security scenario to make the connection?

Last time I had an issue where the flight went from A40, which is the most furthest gate and I just couldn’t get there fast enough before it closed.
& your doing it again, when things are currently worse at FRA ? Good luck ! Enhanced travel insurance that pays out generously for delays ?
Do let us know how it goes ?
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.