Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2018, 4:19 am
Original Poster

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

I just waited 75 minutes to get through the Business/First security line at the Z terminal in Frankfurt airport. I counted people and watched the clock and calculated they were processing significantly less than one person per minute. Dozens of people missed their flights, some after having waited more than two hours.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few weeks ago with a booked 45 min MCT, I came from EDI with a 5 min delay, we arrived onto A which meant an exit via bus at the rear (Very 5*). I was on the second bus due to sitting at the front.

By the time we arrived to the bus position (AWS) it was 3 mins to boarding. I joined the security queue which took about 15 mins to get through going by Fast Lane. The staff were clearly on a go-slow.

The overhead signs directed me to the border control at Z24 but by the time I got there, the Bundespolizei was standing at the end of the queue and said it closed at 16:13(!) and that no further clearance was possible, so I had to go ALL the way back to the other border point. At this point I had never realised the overhead signs at FRA are actually screens because they no-longer directed pax to this border control.

Flight was at A40 so obviously I misconnected. There was no one at the gate.

I went up to to the FTL lounge walking back from A40, which I think is A24 to get rebooked. There the staff told me "I had plenty of time" (on a 45 min MCT) because the EDI flight arrived only 5 mins late. And they were:

"not responsible for the airport security or police".
"What had I been doing all this time"
"Why did I book such a short connection?"

They offered me rebooking on the last flight, but an earlier connection via VIE was possible. After their power trip on how they were "helping me" I was told I should "worship their decision" (the exact words).

The stupidity of these people, to be so ignorant that the carrier is entirely liable to get me to my destination because they CHOOSE to operate in FRA. They CHOOSE to offer such connections. Its not upto me to book another connection because FRA is so crap and LH ops are incapable of direct transfer OR of arriving "clean" EDI pax onto a bus gate not mixing with the dirty pax.

I remember years ago getting a direct transfer in situations like this, but I was told that this facility is long-gone, is that true?
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by hugolover
A few weeks ago with a booked 45 min MCT, I came from EDI with a 5 min delay, we arrived onto A which meant an exit via bus at the rear (Very 5*). I was on the second bus due to sitting at the front.

By the time we arrived to the bus position (AWS) it was 3 mins to boarding. I joined the security queue which took about 15 mins to get through going by Fast Lane. The staff were clearly on a go-slow.

The overhead signs directed me to the border control at Z24 but by the time I got there, the Bundespolizei was standing at the end of the queue and said it closed at 16:13(!) and that no further clearance was possible, so I had to go ALL the way back to the other border point. At this point I had never realised the overhead signs at FRA are actually screens because they no-longer directed pax to this border control.

Flight was at A40 so obviously I misconnected. There was no one at the gate.

I went up to to the FTL lounge walking back from A40, which I think is A24 to get rebooked. There the staff told me "I had plenty of time" (on a 45 min MCT) because the EDI flight arrived only 5 mins late. And they were:

"not responsible for the airport security or police".
"What had I been doing all this time"
"Why did I book such a short connection?"
Shocking.

G
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot to mention, because of this unusual situation with the Bundespolizei, I took a photo of the policeman standing at the end of the queue talking to pax time stamped 16:14. They told me the photo "didn't prove anything" and "we don't care about your photo".
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I forgot to mention, because of this unusual situation with the Bundespolizei, I took a photo of the policeman standing at the end of the queue talking to pax time stamped 16:14. They told me the photo "didn't prove anything" and "we don't care about your photo".
I don't believe you are actually allowed to take photos of policemen, especially in security-sensitive locations like airports, so I would be careful about telling everyone on an internet forum that you have done this.
vbroucek and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: A3 *G, LX *G, AF *S
I need to admit that I am also shocked about the "efficiency" of security controls in Frankfurt (and actually ashamed about it as German).
Was recently at the Fast Lane (Gold Track) and for 3 people in front of me, it took about 10-15 minutes ! Somehow, the luggage didn't move either. I have never seen this at any airport !
A person in front of me (with Senator tag) started to complain to the lady who took his luggage, and she just asked what problem he has. Clearly, service attitude is not what they have in mind.

Not sure what they look at, but each luggage seems to be inspected on the screen for about 1 minute which leads to the long line.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
I don't believe you are actually allowed to take photos of policemen, especially in security-sensitive locations like airports, so I would be careful about telling everyone on an internet forum that you have done this.
LOL. In Soviet Russia maybe.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Shocking.

G
It is & that’s FRA
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by chris63
that’s FRA
Yes — and the decrepit infrastructure plays a huge part in all this, as much as we [FTers] often like to blame it on the staff. I had my significant share of pain with those 45 minutes’ connections and honestly lost count of all those times when, back in the days of the weekly/Thursday night’s BHX-FRA-GDN, even an early arrival could simply trigger stress whilst heading to the next gate and worrying about making it on time, even after several years of travelling. No doubt, as a road runner, I did shave a good few seconds off my personal best thanks to all those ‘tunnel runs’ and there’s no hint of sarcasm in the above statement...

G
Old Dec 15, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
Typical Frankfurt.

In May, standing in a long but bearable queue to the airside Service Center in B (or was it A?) after some weather SNAFU this guy comes and says „For Lufthansa rebookings, come with me”. Stupid as I was I followed him, then I noticed him opening some doors that are usually closed, then, oh damn, are we landside now? He brings us to the absurdly huge queue to LH check-in desks and disappears. While in that queue, another LH guy comes and tells me to try the yellow check-in machine nearby which happily prints out my new boarding pass. Great, no need for queuing. Let’s go back airside. Fast Track closed, because LH gives its best customers a real 5-star treatment. Long queue to security, lots of annoyed people. 50 minutes later, back airside, I can notice the same god damn yellow machines everywhere.

Also, hell, they should have just sent me the new BP to my phone if it was that straightforward. Could have grabbed some lunch instead of touring the damn terminal in slow motion.

And some people ask me why I try my best to avoid Frankfurt.

Last edited by marcoos; Dec 15, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old Dec 15, 2018, 8:38 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
Why? Because the Stasi might send bad vibes through the computer?

As for FRA...well it is not the most efficient German airport by any means, but it still beats the new Berlin ;-) and one can always get exercise waling the 2-3 kms it normally takes to get to or change gates after super long touristic bus rides from widebody aircraft...

My last visit a few months ago I saw a mouse running across the floor (true story) but it was post security in the Z gates so at least it had no weapons.
HNL1K, janehoya and ParisMoskau like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:08 pm

Programs: QF
Have the Germans lost all efficiency and customer service? I'm seeing lots of similar complains about Deutsche Bahn.
Flying through there in a few months time but on LA not LH
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Yes — and the decrepit infrastructure plays a huge part in all this, as much as we [FTers] often like to blame it on the staff. I had my significant share of pain with those 45 minutes’ connections and honestly lost count of all those times when, back in the days of the weekly/Thursday night’s BHX-FRA-GDN, even an early arrival could simply trigger stress whilst heading to the next gate and worrying about making it on time, even after several years of travelling. No doubt, as a road runner, I did shave a good few seconds off my personal best thanks to all those ‘tunnel runs’ and there’s no hint of sarcasm in the above statement...

G
Indeed, decrepit infrastructure & a ludicrous layout that would have an intrepid explorer confused.

Some FT members have painstakingly published the possible routings to be helpful, it must have taken them forever & if you read it all through you can lose the will to live by the time you reach the end.
AlicorporateUK likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I remember years ago getting a direct transfer in situations like this, but I was told that this facility is long-gone, is that true?
Direct Ramp transfer is still very much alive for HON’s & since no airbridge in your case HON’s would have had a car anyway.
However if it had been an airbridge the HON team would have expected HON to make the connection & in fact it’s a snarl up inside the airport which caused your problems, hence I nearly always exit & go to FCT, one never knows what nasty surprises FRA has instore.
JohnRain likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rosege
Have the Germans lost all efficiency and customer service? LH
No, they just get lost inside FRA

Seriuosly, the place is so complicated even some of the Staff don’t know their way around.
FlyerLX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.