Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:47 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Two weeks ago it took 45 minutes for me to get through Gold Track at A gates. There was only two stations opened, quite ridiculous for a weekend with heavy travel (economy line were one hour plus). There was not a simple Frapor staff in sights to manage he queue, thus people queue jumping and such.
I complained to Fraport and their answer was not making sense in English. OTOH the LH staff was quite sympathetic and as annoyed as us.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by fransknorge

I complained to Fraport and their answer was not making sense in English. OTOH the LH staff was quite sympathetic and as annoyed as us.
LH need to do something, biggest customers at FRAPORT, if that’s not leverage what is ?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:13 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The lounge staff told me to CC LH customer service in my complaint to Fraport, to “have ammunition”.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I need to admit that I am also shocked about the "efficiency" of security controls in Frankfurt (and actually ashamed about it as German).
Was recently at the Fast Lane (Gold Track) and for 3 people in front of me, it took about 10-15 minutes ! Somehow, the luggage didn't move either. I have never seen this at any airport !
A person in front of me (with Senator tag) started to complain to the lady who took his luggage, and she just asked what problem he has. Clearly, service attitude is not what they have in mind.

Not sure what they look at, but each luggage seems to be inspected on the screen for about 1 minute which leads to the long line.
I am seeing this more and more in Frankfurt and I'm not understanding why it's gotten so much worse recently. I expect it with the U.S. TSA (chaos, rudeness, and/or being dismissive) but it seems to be an ever-worsening unfortunate situation in Frankfurt, especially in the last six months or so.

Last edited by Grog; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:21 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK

Yes — and the decrepit infrastructure plays a huge part in all this, as much as we [FTers] often like to blame it on the staff. I had my significant share of pain with those 45 minutes’ connections and honestly lost count of all those times when, back in the days of the weekly/Thursday night’s BHX-FRA-GDN, even an early arrival could simply trigger stress whilst heading to the next gate and worrying about making it on time, even after several years of traveling. No doubt, as a road runner, I did shave a good few seconds off my personal best thanks to all those ‘tunnel runs’ and there’s no hint of sarcasm in the above statement...

G

I could only wish this were a primary factor, but indeed, I keep witnessing the "first-contact" security persons not communicating well with passengers. Mind you, these were Germans talking to Germans, but not making it clear, for example, to remove ALL liquids from the carry-on (even the bag of liquids), only to have the luggage of multiple people in one line flagged at the x-ray because none of them removes the bag of liquids. On the last flight, I watched the lane next to me completely shut down for exactly this. Instead of simply pulling out the bag of liquids and then re-x-raying the now-separated two bags, security personnel then sifted through everything and touched every single item (absolutely everything) in the lady's luggage for at least 6 or 7 minutes, but probably much longer as they weren't finished when I left and others behind her had committed the same deed.
AlicorporateUK likes this.

Last edited by Grog; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
Originally Posted by Carpacchio
I need to admit that I am also shocked about the "efficiency" of security controls in Frankfurt (and actually ashamed about it as German).
Was recently at the Fast Lane (Gold Track) and for 3 people in front of me, it took about 10-15 minutes ! Somehow, the luggage didn't move either. I have never seen this at any airport !
A person in front of me (with Senator tag) started to complain to the lady who took his luggage, and she just asked what problem he has. Clearly, service attitude is not what they have in mind.

Not sure what they look at, but each luggage seems to be inspected on the screen for about 1 minute which leads to the long line.
FRA is a horrible airport and I can only stand this as HON having access via the FCL terminal security. No wonder LH moves more planes and premium travel to MUC.
chris63, MichielR and royng like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
I had issues last Thursday evening with queues. I DM’d FRA on Twitter and within 5 minutes they had opened an extra 3 lanes (from the 1 for eco passengers). Still took over an hour for security. Lots of crying passengers missed flights. Felt bad particularly for one couple who missed their flight to Bangkok. The LH gate rep ended up shouting at them...

I had also emailed Fraport and the response was basically ‘it’s not our fault, contact the bundespolice’. Is there any reason for the extra thorough and slow process, does anyone know? And how can the bundespolice possibly be the ones who decide whether to open extra lanes or not?
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:58 pm

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
If things have become worse recently, hard to imagine really, somebody should probably ask the lurker for an explanation.

I would not be the best person to do it, as my last dozen transfers at FRA were all clean and/or in F, so I did not face the issues.
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chris63

Direct Ramp transfer is still very much alive for HON’s & since no airbridge in your case HON’s would have had a car anyway.
However if it had been an airbridge the HON team would have expected HON to make the connection & in fact it’s a snarl up inside the airport which caused your problems, hence I nearly always exit & go to FCT, one never knows what nasty surprises FRA has instore.
Oh sure I know its for HON/F, but a few years ago it existed for other pax as well. You were picked up in a shuttle, driven to a dedicated Bundespolizei post which was in the bowels of the airport, and then back on the shuttle. It made connections much more reliable. I was the only pax on one occasion and having flown LH F that year, I joked how it was like the HON treatment.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
RDS for non-F/HON very much exists, but is used as a last resort as it is limited.

Just yesterday, 4 pax + INF in Y were picked up from my GVA-FRA to make their connection to MEX during the blizzard when there were some snowflakes in FRA.
hugolover likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's exactly how you would expect it to be used, for such a flight as FRA-MEX. Thats just a balance of resources. It costs a lot less to pay compo to me for a delayed arrival on FRA-KRK AND to rebook.

If they're going to continue selling these connections then they have balanced those two scenarios and are surely happy to pay out when these issues occur.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: EBD , FBG
Originally Posted by chris63

Indeed, decrepit infrastructure & a ludicrous layout that would have an intrepid explorer confused.

Some FT members have painstakingly published the possible routings to be helpful, it must have taken them forever & if you read it all through you can lose the will to live by the time you reach the end.
A few years back I travelled through FRA quite often, and I tried to understand the layout. I gave up and just followed the signs...
Worst is if you are in a hurry. A couple of times I sat too long in the lounge and had to rush. I felt, and probably looked, like Jack Nicholson in the end of The Shining. Being stuck in a maze, not knowing whether I would make it...
chris63, hugolover and FlyerLX like this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 9:20 pm

I am at FRA at least several times a month, both A and B security. B seems to remain reasonable for wait times, but A has often been very backed up recently and as reported FRAport staff doing little to control the queue jumpers into the elite queues (seems to happen right at the scanners, not at the back of the queue) Noon at A seems to be very bad lately. I also miss my MUC security, as the interaction at FRA seems to have gone downhill as well. (Certainly nothing near as bad as in the US, but I have had a number of health issues over the last two years which mean extra/different screening, and not all staff are pleasant although some are caring and sincerely wish me a return to good health)

In terms of interaction, B seems much worse than A, and it was pointed out to me recently by LH staff that B is a different company from A (and many seem to try and emulate the American system there)
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exbayern
and it was pointed out to me recently by LH staff that B is a different company from A (and many seem to try and emulate the American system there)
Interesting that FRAPORT are using different companies between A & B. I have come across the FCT security Staff working the end Premium channel in B & had great service.

FCT security is IME best in the World.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hugolover
That's exactly how you would expect it to be used, for such a flight as FRA-MEX. Thats just a balance of resources. It costs a lot less to pay compo to me for a delayed arrival on FRA-KRK AND to rebook.

If they're going to continue selling these connections then they have balanced those two scenarios and are surely happy to pay out when these issues occur.
I’m sure you right.

BUT, Happy to pay out isn’t the LH I know
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.