Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 6:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just passed thru security at A, no lines anywhere whatsoever, par for the course at 2pm I suppose. Counted 17 lanes of xray machines, grouped in pairs with the backscatter nude-o-scopes like in MUC. Like in MUC these are terrible in false positives Yesterday in MUC and today in FRA it showed things that don't exist, so i got the massage each time
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:12 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
On the subject of backscatter I had one show positives on my forearm one day last week. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt so it was patently ridiculous as almost all of these positives are.

For me FRA is never an O/D so I just avoid it.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Very confusing article in the FAZ: https://www.faz.net/aktuell/rhein-ma...-16095625.html

I though Fraport owned the security and FraSec operated them under supervision by the BuPo.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I would share my experience on 17 Mar,

I was flying IST-FRA-JFK but I had needed to clear passport control and go to the landside due to personal reasons which is not related to Lufthansa.
After I have have re-arrived to the terminal at 09:15, I have noticed that there was an escalator leading to Z gates probably due to USA flight document checks. ( Sometimes, passengers flying on Z gates clear security with A gate passengers, but today the situation was like I mentioned ). The document check took 2-3 minutes in the Priority lane while the wait time at the regular Economy lane was also 4-5 minutes with around 5 people waiting at each lane. Passport control was a breeze, even with a non-EU passport and then it came to security. For pax joining at Frankfurt for a flight departing from Z gates, there were almost 250 people ( maybe more ) waiting at the line and guess what, only 1 lane was working and there were around 10 security guards working for the same lane. Luckily, I had the opportunity to use the Priority lane and skipped minimum 240 passengers and passed the security check within 10 minutes. Also all plastic liquid bags and laptops were inspected separately by additional security devices. Luckily I had entered the Senator Lounge at 09:30 and then had breakfast before my 10:45 flight to JFK and had been at the gate at 10:05, just while pre-boarding had begun.

Before clearing passport control to enter Frankfurt, I was alerted that the waiting time for Z gates were around 50 minutes both for FRA joining passengers and non-clear transfer passengers. If I haven't got the opportunity to use the Priority lane, I would have maybe missed my flight as my gate was Z25 ( the longest walk from security ) and boarding was scheduled to close 1 hour 5 minutes after I arrived to the security checkpoint.

In addition to previous experiences at several other German airports, I have noticed that Sunday waiting times at security checkpoints at German airports are always horrible and at my future travels to/via Germany, I would try to avoid traveling on Sundays.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Does anyone have an update on how security at FRA is functioning for transit?

I need to do LHR-?-VNO in a couple of months. I have two choices, LH via FRA or LO via WAW. Outbound at FRA the connection time is 60 minutes and although my connection would be protected on a single ticket that would be no comfort if I missed the connection as the next flight is eight hours later. The WAW alternative potentially has the attraction of two legs on the 7M8 if it's back in service so rather than looking at which is most attractive, I'm weighing up the lesser of two evils!

The LH & LO fares are near enough the same for it not to matter.

Thoughts anyone?
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lhrpete

I need to do LHR-?-VNO in a couple of months. I have two choices, LH via FRA or LO via WAW. Outbound at FRA the connection time is 60 minutes and although my connection would be protected on a single ticket that would be no comfort if I missed the connection as the next flight is eight hours later. The WAW alternative potentially has the attraction of two legs on the 7M8 if it's back in service so rather than looking at which is most attractive, I'm weighing up the lesser of two evils!

Thoughts anyone?
Thats very tight at FRA for a non Schengen to Schengen transfer, LHR departures are prone to delays also.... LO would be safer IMO
Old Apr 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by lhrpete

Thoughts anyone?
Are you stuck on LHR? LO has non-stop flights LCY-VNO ... that culd be a good alternative.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
With 60min at FRA most likely you will make that connection. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
With 60min at FRA most likely you will make that connection. I wouldn't worry too much.
Agree to SK AAR as the OP would arrive from LHR as clear which means no security at FRA, just immigration and probably it would be a breeze with an EU passport.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:54 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Agree to SK AAR as the OP would arrive from LHR as clear which means no security at FRA, just immigration and probably it would be a breeze with an EU passport.
There are cases where pax from inbound flights originating in the UK have to clear transit security in FRA. Happened to me last year when flying LCY-FRA-MUC after my LHR-MUC flight got cx'd.

Search the thread below to find out details:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...on-thread.html
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:58 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
I've had to go through security in FRA arriving from EDI last summer.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by cas_de
There are cases where pax from inbound flights originating in the UK have to clear transit security in FRA. Happened to me last year when flying LCY-FRA-MUC after my LHR-MUC flight got cx'd.

Most of the time inbound U.K. flights require transfer security it’s very annoying 😡
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cas_de

Originally Posted by Nick Art
I've had to go through security in FRA arriving from EDI last summer.
Originally Posted by chris63
Most of the time inbound U.K. flights require transfer security it’s very annoying ��
Arrivals from the UK : you don’t need to clear transfer security if your flight arrives at a Z gate or AEUW, but you do if you are then connecting from B non-Schengen or C. All other arrivals need to clear transfer security.
chris63 likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Arrivals from the UK : you don’t need to clear transfer security if your flight arrives at a Z gate or AEUW, but you do if you are then connecting from B non-Schengen or C. All other arrivals need to clear transfer security.
There was an airside transfer bus from gate B20 to Z11 which worked in both directions during my visit in March. I think this is a new transfer service.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:06 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
There was an airside transfer bus from gate B20 to Z11 which worked in both directions during my visit in March. I think this is a new transfer service.
I believe so but it only seems to run at certain times of the day. Another problem is you can’t get to B20 if you arrive at a B gate unless there is a special arrangement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.