Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purposeful slowdown at Frankfurt security line?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2019, 3:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is there some sort of slowdown at TXL now? It took them literally 30 minutes to process about 12 passengers in the Gold Track line for UA963 to EWR yesterday. They were unpacking everyone's bags either before or after the scanner.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Is there some sort of slowdown at TXL now? It took them literally 30 minutes to process about 12 passengers in the Gold Track line for UA963 to EWR yesterday. They were unpacking everyone's bags either before or after the scanner.
Haven't heard anything like that being the regular thing now in TXL. I guess they looked for someone/something very particular that day, probably after getting some intel or hint.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
We experienced transfer security frm an unclean Z arrival to Z gates at about 4pm today. We found that there was pretty close to zero line and quite efficient processing.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:14 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Does anybody have any idea what's going on in FRA these days?

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information

Increased waiting times at the security checkpoints in Frankfurt

Due to possible longer waiting times at the security checkpoints at Frankfurt Airport, Lufthansa Group customers are asked to allow sufficient time prior to their flight departure.

Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cas_de
Nothing much. Both the LH and FRA websites often display this during peak season. It seemed slightly more crowded than average at FRA this morning (perhaps IAA-related? - IDK), but nothing too extreme.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cas_de

https://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/flight-information
What a strange statement. If Helga would stop selling 45 min connections then pax would have a better chance of making their flights.
chris63 and vantage03 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by hugolover
What a strange statement. If Helga would stop selling 45 min connections then pax would have a better chance of making their flights.
Exactly, with an airport layout as complex & baffling as FRA, 45 min connections are mission impossible
hugolover likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
The 45 minute connections are to make sure that gold card holders don't have time to go and feast extensively on the many surprises and delights in the lounges and that HONs can't get anywhere near the FCT!

I would never book a connection of less than 2 hours at FRA but it is a place I avoid when ever possible.
chris63 and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One year Helga paid me to fly her planes given all the EU compo she coughed up due to FRA short connections.
lhrpete and chris63 like this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by lhrpete
The 45 minute connections are to make sure that gold card holders don't have time to go and feast extensively on the many surprises and delights in the lounges and that HONs can't get anywhere near the FCT!

I would never book a connection of less than 2 hours at FRA but it is a place I avoid when ever possible.
Which means this HON won’t book short connections at FRA & I end up consuming more
lhrpete likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:11 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
This time I am not worried about transit security since I will be originating in FRA on a 6:40 a.m. flight. I am just wondering how much extra time I need to add to be on the safe side.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I have successfully avoided FRA security for a while but since I had plenty of time today I was going to test A security after getting off the Skyline from B/C. Unfortunately the experiment didn’t work since there was someone sitting on the Schengen/landside B/C platform preventing anyone going to A. The sign at the bottom of the escalator I posted in the FRA connection thread no longer mentioned A gates.

Since my (Schengen) flight was going to leave from B I could have gone through B security but I wanted to go to a lounge so decided to go through A security. As I approached the entrance to A security they were closing off the whole area (marked in red on the map below) and everybody had to go passed LH F check-in counters. BP scanners worked fine but instead of turning left for security passengers had to turn right into what looked like a make-shift security area (marked in green on the map below). How long has the arrangement been like this?

Originally Posted by exbayern
And that is exactly the issue, and exactly what the German police warned about when they were testing machines years ago when the US forced them on other countries. Tissues in pocket, pleats in clothing, slight sweat - they all cause issues, and result in false positives and thus more hand checks.
I’ve only just read the above post but I wouldn’t have believed it until I experienced it myself this afternoon. After putting my backpack, purse, iPad, jacket, etc. in two trays the guy behind the counter pointed at my trouser pocket. I showed him it was only tissues but he told me to put them in the tray. After the nudoscope (for which I had to wait since there was only one female screener) they straightened the sleeves of my top which I had tucked up earlier. I can only think my creased sleeves were the culprits.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:19 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Since my (Schengen) flight was going to leave from B I could have gone through B security but I wanted to go to a lounge so decided to go through A security. As I approached the entrance to A security they were closing off the whole area (marked in red on the map below) and everybody had to go passed LH F check-in counters. BP scanners worked fine but instead of turning left for security passengers had to turn right into what looked like a make-shift security area (marked in green on the map below). How long has the arrangement been like this?
If I understand correctly your map, it is the case since 4 weeks at least. I can not understand for the life of me why it is like that now. Fast track passengers still turn right so I never tried the make shift area.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 10:43 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fransknorge
If I understand correctly your map, it is the case since 4 weeks at least. I can not understand for the life of me why it is like that now. Fast track passengers still turn right so I never tried the make shift area.
Sorry my description was a little vague. I went through a fast track BP scanner, turned right, followed the red line on the map and turned right into the “make-shift” security area. When you eventually came into the duty free shopping area you could see the original security area had completely been abandoned.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:54 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ok I see now. So yes it is like this since 4 weeks except only economy was directed to the green area. There was still one or two lines open in the original security area for Fast Track. It seems to have change. I really have no clue why it is like that now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.