Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
How do you know your flight was cancelled if you have not been notified by the airline?

If it was, just call and tell them you want to make sure you get to your final destination on time (because of an essential business meeting etc.) and would prefer a longer layover.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:05 am

Just check your reservation online. You should see the flights on the AV website and also on LH.
If it says cancelled there (I did not understand your original post) for your second leg you need to work with AV to reschedule. LH would not touch an AV ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Source the alternative that suits you & then talk to AV it is their ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
How do you know your flight was cancelled if you have not been notified by the airline?

If it was, just call and tell them you want to make sure you get to your final destination on time (because of an essential business meeting etc.) and would prefer a longer layover.
I just found out by chance as I looked up my booking on the app. It's never a good feeling when you are not notified of a change that could throw your plans up in the air...
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Just check your reservation online. You should see the flights on the AV website and also on LH.
If it says cancelled there (I did not understand your original post) for your second leg you need to work with AV to reschedule. LH would not touch an AV ticket.
yes, I was wondering how this would work. To clarify it is an LH flight SFO-MUC in O class and MUC-GVA in I class booked with AV Lifemiles. Since it is LH who cancelled the flight shouldn't it be LH who rebooks me and handle this with AV internally in terms of ticketing? Technically, I shouldn't have to do anything to rectify this issue (except in this case I would like to get a preferred outcome)
if i call AV to rebook, if there is space, they would just charge me the $200 change fee no? And they certainly wouldn't accommodate any request to prolong lounge enjoyment time...! I think the onus is on LH in this case as it is their schedule change.

i had an identical situation with a BA award booked through AA. Again, no notification, just found out by chance when I tried to add the booking to my BA app. Called BA, they rebooked me (even opened up revenue inventory) to accommodate me, reissued the ticket on BA stock. Funny thing, a month later I got an email from AA with the new flights but with AA ticket number. So I guess there was some internal process where AA took the new flights and reissued the ticket (again) on their stock...?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier

yes, I was wondering how this would work. To clarify it is an LH flight SFO-MUC in O class and MUC-GVA in I class booked with AV Lifemiles. Since it is LH who cancelled the flight shouldn't it be LH who rebooks me and handle this with AV internally in terms of ticketing? Technically, I shouldn't have to do anything to rectify this issue (except in this case I would like to get a preferred outcome)
if i call AV to rebook, if there is space, they would just charge me the $200 change fee no? And they certainly wouldn't accommodate any request to prolong lounge enjoyment time...! I think the onus is on LH in this case as it is their schedule change.

If LH cancels a flight they would typically protect you on an alterative and then get LM to reissue the ticket. You can proactively call LM but they will be looking for award space for you, whereas LH will have far more flexibility (they can convert a paid seat to an award seat). You could also deal with LM directly and ask them to liaise with LH for you.

Airlines won't normally charge if it is an involuntary change, although as you still meet minimum connecting time, they may be reluctant to spend any more time on it than they need to. Your ticket is SFO-GVA, while you could mention a business meeting, that's not really the airline's concern.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:52 am

Many thanks to everyone who replied and offered their thoughts...
i see that LH has a First Class hotline, does anyone have experience with the service and what are the general thoughts on this?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
i see that LH has a First Class hotline, does anyone have experience with the service and what are the general thoughts on this?
If you want to call Lufthansa you should do so, and see what they say. You have nothing to lose. Once you have called them you will know your options for next steps.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:06 am

Wait times are usually shorter and service is better on the F line, so just check it out.

I would be very open with them and say that I am worried about the short connection as reaching my final destination on time is essential.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Legally speaking, it is LH who has to offer you a free rereoute of your own choice at another date/time if they are still physical seats available - according the the EU passenger rights legislation (EC261/2004). I would quote that on the LH hotline. It's their problem.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:32 am

So, for those curious how this was resolved:
i called the LH First hotline, (very long wait times!) and they somehow had trouble confirming me for the flight with only 40 mins connection, which suited me perfectly. The system wouldn't confirm although it's a legal connection. Anyway, the agent offered the following alternative: LX F via ZRH! That's like striking the jackpot as far as I'm concerned as LX F is off limits (I'm not a member of Miles & More)
next question is the lounge access in ZRH as I've read many reports of LX denying F pax on their flights lounge access if booked on codeshare. (I know I'm not codeshare but just wanted to check to avoid bad surprises) Since I'm at ZRH right now waiting for another flight, I walked from the SEN lounge to the F lounge to ask personally if my situation would allow access. (LX flight number, F cabin, award on partner ticket stock) it took 3 lounge employees (including a supervisor) to confirm that as long as I had a boarding pass in LX F, I would be granted access. It seems that since a few months, they have abolished their very 'bünzli' rule of denying pax on LX F metal access just because they booked on a codeshare.
So all in all I think a very good resolution.
Thank you to all who participated in this discussion.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, for those curious how this was resolved:
i called the LH First hotline, (very long wait times!) and they somehow had trouble confirming me for the flight with only 40 mins connection, which suited me perfectly. The system wouldn't confirm although it's a legal connection. Anyway, the agent offered the following alternative: LX F via ZRH! That's like striking the jackpot as far as I'm concerned as LX F is off limits (I'm not a member of Miles & More)
next question is the lounge access in ZRH as I've read many reports of LX denying F pax on their flights lounge access if booked on codeshare. (I know I'm not codeshare but just wanted to check to avoid bad surprises) Since I'm at ZRH right now waiting for another flight, I walked from the SEN lounge to the F lounge to ask personally if my situation would allow access. (LX flight number, F cabin, award on partner ticket stock) it took 3 lounge employees (including a supervisor) to confirm that as long as I had a boarding pass in LX F, I would be granted access. It seems that since a few months, they have abolished their very 'bünzli' rule of denying pax on LX F metal access just because they booked on a codeshare.
So all in all I think a very good resolution.
Thank you to all who participated in this discussion.
Good result 👍

So who reissued your ticket ?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by chris63

Good result 👍

So who reissued your ticket ?
I think it's LH/LX because it's 220 now...or maybe they'll coordinate with AV later and reissue again as 202...let's see!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:38 pm

I think it's LH/LX because it's 220 now...or maybe they'll coordinate with AV later and reissue again as 202...let's see!
Sounds like you got all you could ask for. Excellent!
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

220.... that’s LH I doubt LH will talk with AV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.