Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Old May 10, 2022, 3:37 am

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Common Ticketing Practices for Cancelled Flights?

Hi all,

Currently in HKG and will need to go to London in September 2022 and thinking of booking LH via FRA. However, LH currently does not fly to HKG due to HKG's covid regulations but has scheduled flights in September. So If I go ahead and book these tickets but they get cancelled later on, what usually happens?

Could not find any relevant information on the website nor did anybody pick up from the HK office.

New to the LH forum, apologies in advance if this topic is well covered though I couldn't locate any answers

Thanks in advance!
Old May 10, 2022, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If LH (or LH Group) is not operating to/from HKG, you will be offered a full refund (or rebooking to later). LH is unlikely to rebook to other carriers outside LH Group.
iLied likes this.
Old May 10, 2022, 8:08 am

Programs: Miles & More, BA Executive Club
Originally Posted by SK AAR
If LH (or LH Group) is not operating to/from HKG, you will be offered a full refund (or rebooking to later). LH is unlikely to rebook to other carriers outside LH Group.
I would add it depends when your flight gets cancelled as well. If it’s close to departure then LH has a duty of care towards you, if it’s much further out then you’ll have to stay with LH or a LH Group airline.
Old May 18, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
I am flying VIE-ARN-VIE and OS has changed the flight time by five minutes for both the outbound and inbound. I know get the following message when I manage the booking:

A schedule change has occurred on this trip. Please acknowledge it and choose your trip options again (seats, meals,...) (15070)
And I cannot make any changes. My problem is - I don't see any way to acknowledge the schedule change. I've looked all over the page for a button or something to allow me to acknowledge. Is it hidden somewhere I am just not looking? Am I really going to have to call OS for this simple change?
Old May 18, 2022, 9:12 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No need to acknowledge anything, but double check the dates and the flight numbers.
Old May 19, 2022, 3:47 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
LH xld a flight about 3 hours before flight as far as I can determine. Flight 403 on May 18 was showing as operating in the am and then it showed as cancelled when I checked 3 hours before departure, It was an award ticket on aeroplan miles. Flight was protected (notice of protection 2 hours before flight) with a connection and an arrival 3 hours later then planned.

Very frustrating experience. Is this common?
Old May 19, 2022, 5:11 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cruisr
LH xld a flight about 3 hours before flight as far as I can determine. Flight 403 on May 18 was showing as operating in the am and then it showed as cancelled when I checked 3 hours before departure, It was an award ticket on aeroplan miles. Flight was protected (notice of protection 2 hours before flight) with a connection and an arrival 3 hours later then planned.

Very frustrating experience. Is this common?
LH403 got canceled because the inbound 402 FRA-JFK got canceled.
Sounds you arrived at your destination only 3h late? Lucky you.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:34 am

Programs: LH FTL, AY+ Gold, BAEC Silver, AF FB
Originally Posted by gojko88
It's pretty simple, actually. Your origin and destination countries must stay the same. If the airline changes the schedule or cancels one of the flights, you have the right to a re-routing with a change of dates and also departure/arrival airports within the same country (within a reasonable distance). Taking ARN out would have changed the "geography" of the ticket and therefore trigger a fare recalculation. Ditto for moving the departure airport to another country.
I have a rather interesting and once more confusing addition to this. Remember, I had a routing for a return flight CPH-ARN-FRA-BOG. Two weeks ago I tried to change the routing by dropping ARN. I was told on the phone that simply can't be done and I have to stick to it. So, yes, what you say here about the "geography" makes sense. Whether invol or voluntary, it makes sense to me.

Anyways, after having already flown the outbound flight, I had to change the return flight - voluntary, no schedule changes whatsoever. Surprisingly, after a quick check, I was told there is no issue in changing the routing (i.e. dropping ARN) or the departure city(!). Even moving the departure city from CPH to BER and thus to a different country was possible. No change fee whatsoever, only a fare recalculation, which, thanks to availability of the same fare class, came down to nothing but 10 USD (tax adjustment).

Sooo... while I am very relieved I could do that, I am once more left puzzled about the information that I received. One person is firmly telling me I can not change the routing, and telling me the system won't allow it when trying to do so. And the other one tells me quickly that's no issue whatsoever and manages to find a more appropriate routing right away. Makes me question the training standards of LH customer service globally. My attempt two weeks ago was with the Panama hotline. Now I spoke with an English-speaker of the German hotline.

Guess, conclusion is as so often... try again and again until you find a person who manages to do what you ask them to do?
Old May 21, 2022, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because it is two completely different situations. In the first you inquired about an invol. rebooking which would have allowed you to reroute without recalculation of the fare. Your last request was for a voluntary rerouting - whoch is always possible and in your case turned out to be with very limited add. collection; it could have been much worse if the same booking class hadn't ben available.

You have a point if your argument is that the first agents you talked to should also have calculated the fare/costs of a violuntary rebooking and should have offered it to you rather than just denying the invol. rebooking, but it may have been that the booking class wasn't available at that time and the fare not the same as today/when you made the vol. rebooking
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
urgent: Is there a 200 mile rule?

I am fairly new to Lufthansa so I hope the regulars can help me out:

Some airlines like BA have a 200 mile rule meaning that if a flight in an itinerary is cancelled, starting/ending at another airport is allowed if that new airport is within a 200 mile radius form the original airport. Does the LH group also have this rule?

Thanks
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:39 am

Programs: SEN**, Ex TK Elite+, Ex IB Sapphire, Hyatt Gold, Bonvoy, Meliá Platinum
Originally Posted by janwillem
I am fairly new to Lufthansa so I hope the regulars can help me out:

Some airlines like BA have a 200 mile rule meaning that if a flight in an itinerary is cancelled, starting/ending at another airport is allowed if that new airport is within a 200 mile radius form the original airport. Does the LH group also have this rule?

Thanks
Not really, LH group wouldn't allow orig/dest change. In some cases if you are already at the airport and in transit, they would change to nearby airports if there is a flight leaving withing the same day. If you are Gold or higher helps a little bit, by it is discretion of the agent/spv to Auth that!
janwillem likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:55 am

There is a rule but it is at the discretion of the agent and many will just refuse. Also they can restrict it to 200miles only within the same country.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:56 am

Yes, there is a similar rule (but I can't tell you for certain how many km), your experience may vary depending on the agent though, worst case: hang up, call again. Once your flight has been IRREG'd, lots of options tend to open up.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by bobhope2
There is a rule but it is at the discretion of the agent and many will just refuse. Also they can restrict it to 200miles only within the same country.
That's not always the case, I've had success getting CGN changed to BRU and BUD to VIE.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It really depends on the agent that you talk to. Some agents will be prepared to do it for invol. rebookings.

Obviously, if you request it for a voluntary rebooking, the ticket will be repriced.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.