Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Old Oct 11, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Forget it. LX will never accept to rebook like this for a flight this far out.

You can take a refund and book the SQ flights on your own.
Just to follow up I called to discuss my options today. First one was can I reroute via London - answer no only 200 miles from departure airport. So then told them that i wanted rerouting on SQ as it was comparable and they agreed. So good job Swiss !!
SK AAR and gojko88 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:31 am

Hi. One question regarding rebooking limit and ticket validity.
I had a reservation made in March 2021 for a flight in January 2022. Flight time changes opened me the possibility for a free rebooking "The rebooking must be made within the period of ticket validity (usually one year from the original departure date)".

I checked my tickets and the only information on them regarding the validity is " Not valid before Not valid after 31 January" which would imply a considerably shorter period of validity (10 days from the original departure date!).

Would that mean that I will have to rebook these tickets before 31st January 2022 or does the "one year limit" refers to another validity as the one seen on the ticket?
Old Oct 12, 2021, 1:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
You need to get your reservation sorted out by March 22, they will then ticket the new reservation and exchange the ticket for a new one. Tickets are usually only valid for one year after the date of issue, so exchanging them for new ones gets tricky beyond that. Its possible, LH is using old tickets, but its a manual process.
lcheval likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
LH just announced that the changes to the second half of the winter schedule (Jan-Mar) will be made "in the course of this week", so plenty more invol schedule changes to come.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was Wednesday last time with emails sent the next day.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:13 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
or (like in my case) no emails sent at all.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:55 am

I hope this is the correct thread to ask this question?

I'm looking at booking a first class fare to JNB in March. It's am A class fare. It says its non refundable but then I thought I heard that airlines were giving all tickets a choice of refunding till something like April 2022?

Maybe I just dreamed this and I can't get firm answers by googing.

Does anyone know? I think the next fare up (about 300 extra) for the return flight is refundable minus 450 euro.

That at least would be some consolation if the world hasn't opened up by then.

For what it matters I'm flying DUB JNB and then the next day planning on getting a cheap flight to CPT

Thanks Lurkers.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 5:03 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
No refunds, only free changes.
Old Oct 13, 2021, 10:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I'm currently booked on an open-jaw IAD-FRA-FCO//MUC-IAD and the MUC-IAD non-stop was just cancelled.

If I called in, would I have success changing the MUC to a different origin for the return. I'm thinking about VIE (for the non-stop) or BER (if we're forced to connect anyway). Our itinerary within Europe is pretty flexible, and the Mrs. would prefer not to connect if possible.
Old Oct 25, 2021, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat
LH Service Fee on Canceled Itinerary?

I had recently booked LH roundtrip from the US to Italy, through MUC. LH canceled the return flight. They are offering a refund, minus a $20 service fee for the tickets. I had six tickets, so this is $120. Customer service refused to refund the service fee. I have now complained to U.S. DoT and LH's online customer service team. Seems odd that the airline gets to keep my even some of money when they are the ones who canceled the flight, regardless of what their contract says. Why not charge a $500 service fee instead and make it more profitable? Anyone have experience getting this refunded?
Old Oct 25, 2021, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
I had recently booked LH roundtrip from the US to Italy, through MUC. LH canceled the return flight. They are offering a refund, minus a $20 service fee for the tickets. I had six tickets, so this is $120. Customer service refused to refund the service fee. I have now complained to U.S. DoT and LH's online customer service team. Seems odd that the airline gets to keep my even some of money when they are the ones who canceled the flight, regardless of what their contract says. Why not charge a $500 service fee instead and make it more profitable? Anyone have experience getting this refunded?
You should have hung up, call again and spoke with another agent.
Nobody has charged me anything when I cancelled LH tickets for a full refund during irregular operations, cancellations and schedule changes.

Of course if you have booked with a travel agent and called Lufthansa, they might be able to charge a fee for that.
Old Oct 27, 2021, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
You should have hung up, call again and spoke with another agent.
Nobody has charged me anything when I cancelled LH tickets for a full refund during irregular operations, cancellations and schedule changes.

Of course if you have booked with a travel agent and called Lufthansa, they might be able to charge a fee for that.
Didn't feel like waiting another 15 minutes on hold with no assurance it would be successful. Complained to DoT, submitted complaint to LH through their system, and in a week or so I'll charge back whatever is not refunded on the credit card. None of those options are very time consuming, and I suspect at least one of them will work. Bonus points if LH double refunds (e.g., I get the chargeback and then 6 weeks later when they decide to get around to the complaint, they refund based on the complaint) because of their poor experience design.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Most likely you will receive the full refund. I have never heard of LH not refunding service fees for invol. cancellations.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cyberkarl
Didn't feel like waiting another 15 minutes on hold with no assurance it would be successful. Complained to DoT, submitted complaint to LH through their system, and in a week or so I'll charge back whatever is not refunded on the credit card. None of those options are very time consuming, and I suspect at least one of them will work. Bonus points if LH double refunds (e.g., I get the chargeback and then 6 weeks later when they decide to get around to the complaint, they refund based on the complaint) because of their poor experience design.
if you go via the DOT (and you should) then you should honestly wait for that process to play out and not do a charge-back in parallel.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
if you go via the DOT (and you should) then you should honestly wait for that process to play out and not do a charge-back in parallel.
It appears moot. Looks like full refund came through despite phone agent's less than polite explanation that I owed $20 a ticket for the privilege of having my flight canceled. Having said that, had it not, I certainly would not have waited for LH to do the right thing given their declination to do so originally.

Happy that the call agent was wrong. Couldn't care less that LH now has to work through my (moot) written complaint and complaint to DoT. I told the agent I would rather speak to a manager reall-time but she told me all I could do is file written complaints. I told her I would, and that's what I did.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.