Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rules for Involuntary & long-term Schedule Changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLrunner
I had posted this question earlier, but wanted to repost in light of the current topic. I have 3 award tickets on LH issued using US and UA miles. The return was on Jan 2 BOM-MUC-IAD. The BOM-MUC flight was cancelled on that day and so I was booked BOM-FRA-IAD on the same date. Due to these new rules, could I have asked to be rebooked on BOM-MUC-IAD or BOM-FRA-IAD on Jan 3 or Jan 4?
My understanding is that these rules are instructions to travel agents in case of cancellations of LH flights, allowing the agent to rebook without the need to refer back to LH. They do not have relevance in the case of award tickets issued by M&M on other airlines.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Actually in my case it is the other way around. Other airline miles used to book LH tickets
Old Jul 6, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: LH HON->SEN, BA GGL+CCR->Gold, HH D, Hertz PC
Actually in my case it is the other way around. Other airline miles used to book LH tickets
So the other Airline's rules are relevant, not LH's.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

oops, that is correct. I misread. In that case, I do not know whether this also applies to award tickets. In any event, you will have to go via US or UA. The question is whether US or UA need to specifically get LH to explicitly agree or can do the change themselves where the change falls within the parameters of the policy.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: LH HON* || HH Diamond || Accor Gold
Originally Posted by NickB
My understanding is that these rules are instructions to travel agents in case of cancellations of LH flights, allowing the agent to rebook without the need to refer back to LH.
Actually the new rebooking rules are valid for tickets booked directly through LH, too.
Old May 18, 2017, 12:26 am

Programs: TK Elite, Hilton Diamond
Sorry for posting the old thread

I'd like to know whether I do have any rights for this changes?

LH1754 Munich (MUC) 19:35 - Athens (ATH) 23:00
LH1755 Athens (ATH) 06:20 - Munich (MUC) 07:55

LH1754 Munich (MUC) 20:50 - Athens (ATH) 00:15 <== 1:15 hours later
LH1755 Athens (ATH) 06:10 - Munich (MUC) 07:45 <== 0:10 minutes early

At first, we were planning to go to stay in Athens for 3 nights and then to Santorini. But the new schedule arrives after mid night, then we might stay at the ATH airport and catch the morning flight to JTR (Santorini), is it possible to stay overnight at ATH?

Thank you.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A schedule change of >1h allows you to ask for an earlier flight if you want. Don't understand the JTR bit, was it part of the booking or is it a separate reservation?
Old May 18, 2017, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
A schedule change of >1h allows you to ask for an earlier flight if you want. Don't understand the JTR bit, was it part of the booking or is it a separate reservation?
Thank you Oliver!

I haven't got any email from LH yet, I only got an email from CheckMyTrip last night.

The trip to JTR will be booked on separated ticket and we haven't booked it yet.

Is it also possible to ask for the later flight (Early morning flight) instead?

Thanks again!
Old May 18, 2017, 4:38 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I think you can ask for the earlier flight. Whoever issued the ticket to you will normally contact you to inform you of the change, so ask for the rebooking then.
Old May 18, 2017, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I think you can ask for the earlier flight. Whoever issued the ticket to you will normally contact you to inform you of the change, so ask for the rebooking then.
Thank you Oliver, I booked it on lufthansa.com and just sent them an email to ask for the available options.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If LH refuse to rebook you to a later MUC-ATH flight, you could consider asking for a full refund and book new tickets (obviously, this provides that current fare is a not significantly higher than the fare already paid).

Overnight stay at ATH: I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but I doubt you can stay airside/in transit area if that is what you mean. I have no knowledge of ATH airport facilities but I would expect you to pick-up luggage and exit into arrivals hall. You may check if a cheap airport hotel is available in the vincinity, otherwise sit/walk around until check-in opens for the first JTR flight; it should be no more than 4-5 hours effectively (admittedly, I don't know when the first JTR departs).
Old May 25, 2017, 9:23 am

Just for the information here.

The first flight to JTR is at 6:55 by Ryanair.

I called Lufthansa today and they offered me to change to the earlier flights, even on codeshare flight with Aegean Airlines, only on that day. And the return flight cannot be changed.

I've not decided it yet and I would probably stay at the airport and waiting for the JTR flight instead.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:34 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by olm022

I was trying to rebooked from a cancelled LH flight to OS, only to be told: "Yes, we will gladly rebook you, however since on OS your fare basis is not available, you will have to pay the fare difference." The most interesting fact is that on OS webpage, my fare basis IS available and IS sold, while LH agents claim not to see it. It appears that LH is adopting FR style...Utterly ridiculous!!!

Update: just got off the phone with agents... The new rebooking rules boils down to the following:

If there was a schedule change of LH operated flights which does not allow passengers to take next LH-operated flight, then rebooking for free for partner airlines (OS, LX, LO, etc) is only possible in the same fare basis. If only higher fare basis is available, fare difference must be collected. For rebookings into lower fare basis, no refund is due.

I am flying GVA-MUC-MIA in November on LH.I have been notified a change in schedule which shortens by 10 min my transfer time in MUC from 70 to 60 min. Knowing the weather in GVA in November and considering the average delay of 11 min on the GVA-MUC feeder flight, I called LH to have my flight changed to GVA-FRA-MIA to be be on the safe side.

As set forth by the rules that olm022 reported, LH refused to change my flight to GVA-FRA-MIA indicating that the fare bucket of my initial booking was not available, although seats were still available in the same class of service. I vainly argued that I did not initiate the change of schedule and that the disruption/costs for LH would begreater if I missed my connection, but the LH agent only offered me to pay the fare difference (about EUR 1000).

I am about to get SEN (with LX). Do SEN posters on this forum believe that a passenger with SEN status would receive a more reasonable application of the rules? If so, I would exchange afew award miles to get the missing status miles to accelerate my SEN status.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:37 am

Programs: LX SEN
redacted
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:02 am

No specific exceptions for SEN. The attitude is the rules are the rules, and apply to all. Telephone agents in particular seem to have no flexibility to break the rules.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the time change - 60 minutes is still an easy connections at Munich.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.