Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa Long-Haul Business Class launch [merged rationale discussion]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Long-Haul Business Class launch [merged rationale discussion]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
Some more pictures with a ruler (16cm long) for comparison:

Thank you, fqtv_kraven, for the very interesting pictures. From the picture above the shelf seems deeper than it appears in other images. Some people have complained about the size of the foot cubbyhole of some LX C seats. I wondered the depth of LX cubbyholes might be the reason but compared to the LH C foot shelves, even the most restricted LX cubbyholes are cavernous!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Also- who are all these test customers? 1000's??? Really? And this was the end result? I would not be very happy right now if I was a LH product designer- only based on this thread the only person who likes the new product is Oliver.
You forget the staunch defender Matze20111984.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
I would not be very happy right now if I was a LH product designer- only based on this thread the only person who likes the new product is Oliver.
I didn't say 'like'. I would say it does its job, like when you book an intermediate car and get handed VW passat keys you go 'OK', Audi A4 you go 'hey cool' and Opel Insignia you (or rather I) go 'blech'. But then are plenty of people who spend money on VW, Audi and Opel and the companies seems to survive, so am I to judge their product.

OTOH, I really didn't go 'wow' and fall on my knees begging to buy a ticket seeing the other carriers products on display.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I didn't say 'like'. I would say it does its job, like when you book an intermediate car and get handed VW passat keys you go 'OK', Audi A4 you go 'hey cool' and Opel Insignia you (or rather I) go 'blech'. But then are plenty of people who spend money on VW, Audi and Opel and the companies seems to survive, so am I to judge their product.

OTOH, I really didn't go 'wow' and fall on my knees begging to buy a ticket seeing the other carriers products on display.
Thanks Oliver.

I like the metaphor- well said.

A shame that a world class company like Lufthansa didn't make the "Audi" however that is the way it is.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:03 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Thank you for the great post!

Really a great one ^

I donīt know when you will interact with some of LHs product design people for the next time. But in my opinion they should change the colour theme if itīs possible and production of the seats hasnīt been started.

They should present the people in an ONLINE SURVEY different modifications of the seat in different colour themes. And then ask them if they prefer a blue/silver colour theme or the derived earth/brown/well-being colour theme like they have in retrofitted First.

I think designing the seat in blue/silver/grey would clarify that it is an own product range and continuing the "blue" colour as colour theme for the business class product.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
My employer sponsored the trip, so be sure my comments are not airline-driven
I have spent extensive hours test-flying new F on 747 and A380 and have written very very complimentary trip reports on VFT.

All flights were out of my own pocket and free of third-party interest.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by gum
Really a great one ^

And then ask them if they prefer a blue/silver colour theme or the derived earth/brown/well-being colour theme like they have in retrofitted First.

I think designing the seat in blue/silver/grey would clarify that it is an own product range and continuing the "blue" colour as colour theme for the business class product.
I dont care about the colours when I have my eyes closed. But I do care whether or not I can physically get my feet into that little cubbyhole when I'm trying to sleep lying on my side.

That seat is a complete fail as far as I am concerned since (only speaking for myself, mind) it is not fit for purpose.

My C money will continue to go to BA and LX.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Originally Posted by gum
I donīt know when you will interact with some of LHs product design people for the next time. But in my opinion they should change the colour theme if itīs possible and production of the seats hasnīt been started.
That ship has sailed long ago... the color scheme comes for the design guide BTW... an example:

Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:31 am
gum

Thanks for the fast update

That ship has sailed long ago... the color scheme comes for the design guide BTW... an example:

Appreciate your posts and the in-depth knowledge transferred. :-:

Just retract my demanding for a blue colour when they have already elaborated their colour themes.

Thanks for the link :-)
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:42 am

Yesterday they mentioned the initial 500 surveyed for the concepts to try out and I was suprised that they mentioned the final concept was among them since I was among those surveyed

My screenshots from Oct 2010:
Existing LH

Existing LX

Check on BA's product:
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:45 am

Then the new ones at the time:

This must have been the attempt by the LX supplier to solve the 748i maindeck layout:

The final question slide showed the B/E diamond on the left:

Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:53 am

Programs: Emirates gold *alliance silver jet airways platinum tridentprivilege gold.
From the pics and reports, this is a fail.

I'll keep colllecting M&M miles , keep SEN. And use my miles for the occasional upgrade from J to F trip on LUFTY unless they keep the same supercheapo J corporate fares out of Asia and the US even with new product.. In which case, sure I'll fly them to save some $$$$!

I was thinking....
14 years SEN with Lufty and a consistent crap. J seat! At least cabin crew behave better (actually very very nicely) and the J food is still good.

LH is a very lucky airline to have all these nationalists/tied customers to fill their huge J cabins.....
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:59 am
gum

In the best way really elaborated suggestions

Thanks for the additional information! Looks like that they have really worked hard on surveying, testing and searching the best solution. ^

So I can only say sorry that my taste is deviating from the solution and the suggestions implemented. But this is not really hard for Lh due to the fact that I am no core target group of their intercont. C-product.

So itīs great to see that they have spend hours and worked hard to draw and proof the suggestions.

Completely off-topic: This reminds me on the "Mitmacharena" of one political party in Germany which surveyed some key phrasing with the participants:
"Leistung muss sich lohnen" or "Arbeit muss sich lohnen".

It was really interesting to have a look on the agreement rates for the different subvariations of this. (Sorry not to have made a screenshot).

Have a nice day and thanks for the screenshots!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:38 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Thanks for the detailed report, Oliver. ^^

From my point of view, the seat is not that bad. I have experienced the new seat on US, which is not that different from the LH seat. And I had no problems, I did not see my neighbour and the feet of my seat mate were not a problem either.

Most important for me is a fully flat seat - I do not care that much about the rest. But I also like the C Seat of LX, as I like the narrow somehow cocooning part at the head.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYGVA

Most important for me is a fully flat seat - I do not care that much about the rest. But I also like the C Seat of LX, as I like the narrow somehow cocooning part at the head.
I quite like the new LX C seat- I haveflown it quite a few times on longhaul like HKG and PVG and it works well for the purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.