Wikipost is Locked  
Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

New First class retrofit thread

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ZUG2007
Today 05 may LH498 is DABVZ , have these plane the new first class?
Same answer as the last time you asked. It's not in the first post, so no
Old May 5, 2012, 4:01 am

Programs: UA, skymiles, AAdvantage, continental one pass, ANA, Hilton, SPG
747 to lax

No answer needed... Just a comment. We're ending our Europe trip soon and I KNOW we won't get the new 747 from fra to lax but I'm totally cool with that. We even loved the den to fra experience in old style A346. Nice! So for all those worry warts lamenting about the retrofit... relax... it's still Lufthansa and not US Air and it's amazing.
Old May 5, 2012, 5:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by ZUG2007
Today 05 may LH498 is DABVZ , have these plane the new first class?
Not to be rude, but what part of "please look at the first post in this thread" do you not understand? there is a list of all 747s with new F clearly listed!!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by shadabing
No answer needed... Just a comment. We're ending our Europe trip soon and I KNOW we won't get the new 747 from fra to lax but I'm totally cool with that. We even loved the den to fra experience in old style A346. Nice! So for all those worry warts lamenting about the retrofit... relax... it's still Lufthansa and not US Air and it's amazing.
That is very true indeed
Old May 5, 2012, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by more4less
I like very much the 1st way . It is the best one because you keep your expectancies low and you can only win, while with 2 or 3 you may end up depressed with a last minute change, and not enjoy the F flight.

In any case, in the UD of a 744, with the double seat/bed and max 8 pax it can never be a bad experience.
That's right. Last month I was booked from FRA to SIN on LH in F. The original booking was done in November 2011. The aircraft on booking time was the A380. In February LH changes from A380 to B74P. As I entered the aircraft in April, it was a B744 (old first). The pusrer told me, the aircraft changed from 74P to 744 at the day of departure. Bad luck, but the flight was nice.

Remeber always: Do not panic!
Old May 5, 2012, 5:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, covalin!
Old May 5, 2012, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Welcome to FT, covalin!
Indeed! Bit of a rough start it seems for him but that means the only way from here is upwards
Old May 6, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
A little bit off topic I know, but curiosity got the better of me:

From post no. 1 is this thread, and checking registrations on flightradar24.com it seems that HKG almost never get a aircraft (744 from FRA and 346 from MUC) with new F.

Is HKG not a prioity destination for LH, as I assume that LH puts the new product on their most important routes first?

Cheers
Stein

Last edited by SASDC8; May 6, 2012 at 7:45 am Reason: Point
Old May 6, 2012, 7:47 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SASDC8

From post no. 1 is this thread, and checking registrations on flightradar24.com it seems that HKG almost never get a aircraft (744 from FRA and 346 from MUC) with new F.

Is HKG not a prioity destination for LH?

Cheers
Stein
Without checking in great detail LH738 seems to have been operated by one of the retrofitted 744s about 40% of the time recently, so HKG has been getting its fair share. I agree that HKG is not one of the designated destinations for retrofitted A340s ex-MUC.
Old May 6, 2012, 8:20 am

Is HKG not a prioity destination for LH, as I assume that LH puts the new product on their most important routes first?

Cheers
Stein
I find there's sometimes very little logic to LH prioritisation (at least from my uninformed standpoint). Whereas SIN, unsurprisingly, got new F 744s when the 380 was canned (at least most of the time), I can't fathom why HKG would get it 40% whilst KIX gets it 95%. Very peculiar. At least JFK is starting to see it more often - even JFK was lacking in new F sightings!!
Old May 6, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Cheers
Stein
I find there's sometimes very little logic to LH prioritisation (at least from my uninformed standpoint). Whereas SIN, unsurprisingly, got new F 744s when the 380 was canned (at least most of the time), I can't fathom why HKG would get it 40% whilst KIX gets it 95%. Very peculiar. At least JFK is starting to see it more often - even JFK was lacking in new F sightings!!

There actually may be logic behind the lack of 74P deployment to HKG that most will never be able think of.

It is actually a safety related issue. The thing with flying to HKG is that the route taken crosses the Himalayas and due to the greatly increased minimum safe altitude (MSA), aircraft are required to have extra oxygen tanks fitted in order to supply supplemental oxygen for a prolonged period in the event of a decompression as pilots will not be able to dive down to at least FL140 where the air is dense enough for most passengers to breath without the help of emergency oxygen.

Therefore, those aircraft flying over such high terrain would need the addition of extra oxygen cylinders fitted and not all aircraft in the fleet have this installed and then to add that, the number that have both the extra cylinders as well as the new F is most probably less than the 10 retrofitted aircraft and lastly add in scheduling constraints and you'll see why HKG may not be getting new F 100% of the time.
Old May 6, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
I can't fathom why HKG would get it 40% whilst KIX gets it 95%. Very peculiar.
My point exactly. LH needs a consistent F product on their HKG flights, considering the F-product CX has on the same route.

I even thought HKG would be a 380 or 74H destination. Perhaps in due time
Old May 6, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hamallu
There actually may be logic behind the lack of 74P deployment to HKG that most will never be able think of.

It is actually a safety related issue. The thing with flying to HKG is that the route taken crosses the Himalayas and due to the greatly increased minimum safe altitude (MSA), aircraft are required to have extra oxygen tanks fitted in order to supply supplemental oxygen for a prolonged period in the event of a decompression as pilots will not be able to dive down to at least FL140 where the air is dense enough for most passengers to breath without the help of emergency oxygen.

Therefore, those aircraft flying over such high terrain would need the addition of extra oxygen cylinders fitted and not all aircraft in the fleet have this installed and then to add that, the number that have both the extra cylinders as well as the new F is most probably less than the 10 retrofitted aircraft and lastly add in scheduling constraints and you'll see why HKG may not be getting new F 100% of the time.
Thanks for sharing the interesting insight. ^
Old May 6, 2012, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by hamallu

hmm. This is really interesting, thanks for sharing this. So really, this has nothing to do with the F retrofit so much as it does with oxygen cylinder retrofit - and you're saying that a completely unrelated process?
Old May 7, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: Skywards Silver
hmm. This is really interesting, thanks for sharing this. So really, this has nothing to do with the F retrofit so much as it does with oxygen cylinder retrofit - and you're saying that a completely unrelated process?
No no, there is no retrofit programme for the extra O2 cylinders. They came with them installed from Boeing. What I mean is not the entire fleet have these extra cylinders as they are not needed on all routes and only a certain number of aircraft have them. So when you have a subfleet of x number of planes capable of flying over high terrain and add to that New F retrofitted too, then you have a number smaller than x.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.