Old Jun 2, 2015, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

New First class retrofit thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2015, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by Speedbird48
How did Lufthansa justify the move to remove First from the 747 400 entirely? The seats were under a year old!
IIRC, the seats were introduced beginning late 2011 as retrofits of the blue F seats that were introduced in 1998.. Pure stop-gap measure as the n F seat couldn't be fitted on the UD of the 744.

Currently, 744 as well as 343 fleet is dispatched to routes where LH doesn't see enough F demand.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 4:24 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Speedbird48
How did Lufthansa justify the move to remove First from the 747 400 entirely? The seats were under a year old! Wouldn't they LOOSE money doing that?
[...]
Their ceo claimed to want to make DLH a 5 star airline. Did he expect to do that by removing the only good product they had (first) on nearly all their planes and also removing one of the worlds most innovative products (Seat+bed)? That cabin won the hearts of hundreds of travelers! Lufthansa have to be the cheapest airline rated 4 stars in my book!
Lufthansa has in no means justified it. Honestly spoken I don't have the impression that there is any strategic behind the claim being a "five star" airline and the recent cost cuttings.

It *seems* that Lufty on the one hand has realized the trends of smelting average revenues per seat mile and assumes that this trend couldn't be changed.

If I would have been in charge there I would have changed the 747-400 Upper Deck configuration slightly. I would have skipped only 4 seats and let the rows 81/82 untouched. That would have enabled my company to attract many frequent fliers during the year to fly the high-density layout "Business Class" in Europe (NEK) and then get the upselling by miles once a year.

Additional capacity would have been sold for discounted First Fares as it is done for all other routes where F remains.

BTW this also makes Lufty completely unattractive for First Class round the world tickets.

So my personal impression and point of view is that skipping First Class on any route is a strategic mistake. On routes with "low First" demand I would have deployed the A340/330 frame with one row of First and B747-400 wiht the F/J split upperdeck.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by NYC1
It was the best. Too bad.
^My last one was one of the last SEA-FRA trips - just my wife and one other passenger. It was not the classiest F layout, but was certainly the best commercial way ever to experience the UD! Nothing comes close.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by gum
Lufthansa has in no means justified it. Honestly spoken I don't have the impression that there is any strategic behind the claim being a "five star" airline and the recent cost cuttings.

It *seems* that Lufty on the one hand has realized the trends of smelting average revenues per seat mile and assumes that this trend couldn't be changed.

If I would have been in charge there I would have changed the 747-400 Upper Deck configuration slightly. I would have skipped only 4 seats and let the rows 81/82 untouched. That would have enabled my company to attract many frequent fliers during the year to fly the high-density layout "Business Class" in Europe (NEK) and then get the upselling by miles once a year.

Additional capacity would have been sold for discounted First Fares as it is done for all other routes where F remains.

BTW this also makes Lufty completely unattractive for First Class round the world tickets.

So my personal impression and point of view is that skipping First Class on any route is a strategic mistake. On routes with "low First" demand I would have deployed the A340/330 frame with one row of First and B747-400 wiht the F/J split upperdeck.
I agree!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 1:35 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by gum
Apparently you need a minimum number of F seats to make it worthwhile (for F logistics and special services, dedicated FA, catering, opening about a dozen of expensive bottles etc.) and one row (4 seats) would not be enough. Hence 8 seats on all LH planes that have an F cabin.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Apparently you need a minimum number of F seats to make it worthwhile (for F logistics and special services, dedicated FA, catering, opening about a dozen of expensive bottles etc.) and one row (4 seats) would not be enough. Hence 8 seats on all LH planes that have an F cabin.
then again, SQ has gone with 4 seats on some of their planes...
Old Nov 17, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Originally Posted by worldclubber
Interesting metric, the 8-seat minimum F. From wherever you got this, is that n=8 generalizable across different airframes/carriers, or is it fairly unique to LH?
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
How many routes are selling F seats as J?

I was pleasantly surprised to fly FRA-DFW on a A333 on a J award ticket, only to find myself snagging an F seat (with J service). I double-checked my return flight in a few weeks and I'm also pre-assigned an F seat.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush
Interesting metric, the 8-seat minimum F. From wherever you got this, is that n=8 generalizable across different airframes/carriers, or is it fairly unique to LH?
I never said that 8 would be the exact minimum number for all airlines in the world. LH did the maths and 4 was not considered enough; as 8 seem to fit nicely in two rows on all of LH's widebodies, 8 was selected to be the standard F cabin on LH planes.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 11:07 am

Programs: LX HON***, FB Silver, BA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt GP, Hertz Gold, GHA Black
My observations are that F is usually quiet full having only 8 seats. Unfortunately, the product was taken away from some routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.