Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Print Wikipost

New First class retrofit thread

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 9:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by hamallu
No no, there is no retrofit programme for the extra O2 cylinders. They came with them installed from Boeing. What I mean is not the entire fleet have these extra cylinders as they are not needed on all routes and only a certain number of aircraft have them. So when you have a subfleet of x number of planes capable of flying over high terrain and add to that New F retrofitted too, then you have a number smaller than x.
Ohh - understood. Sorry, I read that as there being a separate ongoing process of fitting these tanks - I guess it makes sense that they are only installed on a limited sub-number of aircraft, and it's just a question of when *those* aircraft will get the new F to guarantee 100% availability on over-Himalayan routes.

Quite interesting. Thanks
Old May 7, 2012, 1:15 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
No no, there is no retrofit programme for the extra O2 cylinders. They came with them installed from Boeing. What I mean is not the entire fleet have these extra cylinders as they are not needed on all routes and only a certain number of aircraft have them. So when you have a subfleet of x number of planes capable of flying over high terrain and add to that New F retrofitted too, then you have a number smaller than x.
Thanks for this very interesting information!

One question comes to mind: do you know if the 380 and 747-800 have does extra O2 cylinders, or maybe they don`t need them?

Cheers
Old May 7, 2012, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
There actually may be logic behind the lack of 74P deployment to HKG that most will never be able think of.

It is actually a safety related issue. The thing with flying to HKG is that the route taken crosses the Himalayas and due to the greatly increased minimum safe altitude (MSA), aircraft are required to have extra oxygen tanks fitted in order to supply supplemental oxygen for a prolonged period in the event of a decompression as pilots will not be able to dive down to at least FL140 where the air is dense enough for most passengers to breath without the help of emergency oxygen.

Therefore, those aircraft flying over such high terrain would need the addition of extra oxygen cylinders fitted and not all aircraft in the fleet have this installed and then to add that, the number that have both the extra cylinders as well as the new F is most probably less than the 10 retrofitted aircraft and lastly add in scheduling constraints and you'll see why HKG may not be getting new F 100% of the time.
Further reading about IATA-1 and the Lima 888 route :
http://www.iata.org/pressroom/pr/pag...-04-10-01.aspx
Old May 7, 2012, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It looks like I may be using miles to get my son here from OSL in July and the outbound will be in F, since there's a saver award for that but not for C. The TATL portion is DUS-ORD on a Airbus A340-300. I'm gathering from what I've read here that they haven't yet gotten to these for upgrade -- is that correct?

What is the old F like in these planes? I've never flown F on Lufthansa, so I don't have a clue.

Thanks for any info you may have.
Old May 7, 2012, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
It looks like I may be using miles to get my son here from OSL in July and the outbound will be in F, since there's a saver award for that but not for C. The TATL portion is DUS-ORD on a Airbus A340-300. I'm gathering from what I've read here that they haven't yet gotten to these for upgrade -- is that correct?

What is the old F like in these planes? I've never flown F on Lufthansa, so I don't have a clue.

Thanks for any info you may have.
The seat is basically a huge equivalent of the C seat. It goes mostly flat (unlike C), and if he has A or K he will be alone near the window. The in-seat TV is rather normal, nothing special. Really, it will be more about the in-flight service and experience rather than the seat (unlike the new F seat, which is a bit of an experience in itself)
Old May 8, 2012, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Looking for a sanity check here. If I were to fly in F on a 747 in August LAX-FRA, I could be looking at 3 different cabin possibilities:
  1. Old F with 16 seats, but each passenger gets 2 seats so they can use one as a bed
  2. Newer F where there are 8 seats and each seat also has a dedicated bed by the window
  3. Newest F if the route is served by the 748 by then
Sound about right?
Old May 9, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Looking for a sanity check here. If I were to fly in F on a 747 in August LAX-FRA, I could be looking at 3 different cabin possibilities:
  1. Old F with 16 seats, but each passenger gets 2 seats so they can use one as a bed
  2. Newer F where there are 8 seats and each seat also has a dedicated bed by the window
Sound about right?
Absolutely correct. Possibility 3 is the one least likely though!
Old May 9, 2012, 9:23 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by supermasterphil
Absolutely correct. Possibility 3 is the one least likely though!
Agreed, just depends on when the 748's get deployed to LAX and whether they stick to their schedule with India first and then LAX
Old May 13, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: QF KF
Not looking good for my FRA-ICN fligh in July at this stage onboard the A346.

Will just have to drink more
Old May 13, 2012, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Sound about right?
As of now, the next US dedicated 748's won't be delivered until September, so I would not count on good odds until November for 74H service to LAX and ORD.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
As of now, the next US dedicated 748's won't be delivered until September, so I would not count on good odds until November for 74H service to LAX and ORD.
Yeah kinda figured that. And it also looks like it is very rare for the newer F with seat+bed to come to LAX (even with twice daily 747 service), so it is a fair certainty it will be the 16 seat version.
Old May 14, 2012, 3:37 am

Are there are any more retrofits planned? Or will the remaining aging planes just be replaced as new ones enter the fleet?
Old May 14, 2012, 3:43 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The 'aging' 744s and 343 will get no new F after 6 744s get refitted this year. They will either retire or be converted to two class aircraft.

The rest of the fleet is hardly 'aging': http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/Lufthansa.htm

The A333 and 346 will all get F refits over the next two years.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Refurbisment in the A 340

Does anyone know were to find information as to the progress of the refurbishment of F and C on the A 340's? I believe the JNB route has these planes. Is there any other routes which are more or less flown with the refurbished planes?
Old May 15, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Does anyone know were to find information as to the progress of the refurbishment of F and C on the A 340's? I believe the JNB route has these planes. Is there any other routes which are more or less flown with the refurbished planes?
Did you look in this thread? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...it-thread.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.