Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:36 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hdogan
This just opens an empty page for me, due to their redirectors and cookies I guess. However, trust what NewbieRunner tells you, Member Gets Member has been discontinued, no matter what that page says.
If you persist a page called 'Recruit new Miles & More members' might eventually appear. So the campaign to recruit new members still exists. However, as photographer2012 has pointed out you don't receive any miles for the effort any longer. I managed to receive 1,000 miles once many years ago.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:17 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
My question is about choosing seats on a DHL code share with UA and baggage allowances.

My wife and I are flying in January from IAH to IST on UA but will board DHL metal from MUC to IST and again from IST to FRA on our return. Even though we are Business/first on our UA transatlantic flights we are coach on DLH but also can't chose seats yet.

Can someone advise when we will be able to actually choose our seats?

My second question is on checking baggage when departing IST. We had planned to each check a bag but on our return might have one extra bag with souvenirs, etc. We usually carry 2 allowable size carry on items. Even though we are in business/first for our flights from FRA to IAH I assume we will be unfortunately considered Economy flyers when departing IST as a far as checking bags goes.

Thanks for your help!
Flights to/from IST are considered "European" and you cannot reserve seats in advance if you are in Economy unless on B or Y fare. You should be able to select seats during online check-in.

Regarding your baggage I think the Special baggage rules for travel to/from or across the USA should apply and you should be able to check additional bags.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Nov 18, 2013 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by photographer2012
isn't US domestic considered under the "Domestic" box redemption rates? (35 for J, 50 for F)?
also in LifeMiles i understood that UA award seats for domestic USA F is charged in J award rates, is that true also for booking UA F domestic on M&M?
No experience of booking US domestic awards on their own but according to oliver2002 in this post it's 25/35/50k.

and another question...is Transcontinental UA BusinessFirst considered a F or J redemption rate in M&M?
I believe UA BusinessFirst is considered a Business award.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Hello FT

I am connecting in Zurich from Paris next Monday on Swiss on a Business class ticket and am a *G UA 1K. What is the Senators lounge like? Any good? If I get to CDG early, is there a lounge available? Sorry if this seems newbie but the forum indicated it could be.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: My travel agent
This is always the case if you book less than 2 weeks from your travel date. However, unless you're planning to take some superexpensive route, take note that in Europe, YQ charged on award tickets will be more than a discounted revenue ticket. And if you're flying on a superexpensive route, chances are that award inventory will already be sold out 2 weeks in advance.
If you were to kind enough to translate this to newbie language.

Anyways, back to my question: you said I can see 'earn miles' promotions on the page without logging in. And I wanted to find the European deal for 15.000 miles in the 'spend miles' section without logging in. Thanks.

In general, unless you are flying, and intend to fly, A LOT and credit it to M&M, and there is no other choice, then look into M&M. Otherwise... just forget it. Especially forget it for quick "spending a small amount of miles" type activity. For most cases, M&M makes any sense only if you're burning piles of miles at once on C or F awards.
I see. As stated before I am open to any other sensible advice on other programs to pursue especially one which comes with a card without forex fees. Forex fees eat into the profits you earn by miles.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:25 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Thanks

I very much hope I'll manage to get enough miles for my trip without buying any, but I wanted to be ready!
Look out for Mileage Bargains, too. You might just get lucky
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you persist a page called 'Recruit new Miles & More members' might eventually appear. So the campaign to recruit new members still exists. However, as photographer2012 has pointed out you don't receive any miles for the effort any longer. I managed to receive 1,000 miles once many years ago.
I referred my wife several years ago, and upon inquiring with M&M, they confirmed that no miles are awarded for signing up new members anymore.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
If you were to kind enough to translate this to newbie language.
After 402 posts, one would assume you're not a newbie anymore

Lufthansa charges ridiculous amounts of "Fuel Surcharges" on their tickets. For discounted booking classes, Fuel Surcharge ("YQ") is discounted too; for award tickets, they charge full amount of YQ, as if you booked the most expensive booking class. When you book economy awards in Europe, there are two possible scenarios:

1. For those flights where there is award availability, there are usually also discounted booking classes available; this leads to a paradox that it is cheaper to buy a discounted ticket, than to pay for YQ for an award (and give away your miles too).

2. For those flights where there are no discounted booking classes available (i.e. it would make sense to sacrifice your miles), there are probably no more award seats available.

Very rarely will you find economy award tickets which justify burning your miles, no matter how low the amount is (15000). It's better to pool those miles, and redeem long-haul (C or F) awards.

Anyways, back to my question: you said I can see 'earn miles' promotions on the page without logging in. And I wanted to find the European deal for 15.000 miles in the 'spend miles' section without logging in.
Any intra-european awards, if booked less than two weeks from departure, will cost you 15000 miles + YQ. There are some exceptions (e.g. sometimes weekends are unavailable), but that is the general rule. Furthermore, you can get intra-europe flights for even 10000 miles, as part of M&M's Mileage Bargains offer. Google is your friend.

I see. As stated before I am open to any other sensible advice on other programs to pursue especially one which comes with a card without forex fees. Forex fees eat into the profits you earn by miles.
I'm sorry, but FT is a practically endless pool of information on that, as well as all of your other questions. We don't know anything about you, and can't advise you on what to do - your decision should be made based on your location, flying pattern, whether you aim for status or redemption.... And, most of all, it should be done by *you*. Every single question you asked so far would be answered if you only took the trouble to look through Sticky threads in respective fora, or used the wonderful Search capability of FT (or Google, for that matter).
Old Nov 18, 2013, 5:23 am

Look out for Mileage Bargains, too. You might just get lucky
I know! Just now LH is running a special on YVR and SEA, two cities I'd like to see in my trip.
Ideally I wanted to fly out to YVR and then do an open jaw from PDX, but there seems to be very low availability on PDX-BRU (something from AC and US, but US probably won't be applicable anyway).
I'll check again when I actually have the miles in my account.

Thanks again!
Old Nov 18, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
...the wonderful Search capability of FT...
You were joking, weren't you?

There is a reason why Google is often a better alternative for searches, even within FT...@:-)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N1003U
... Google is often a better alternative for searches, even especially within FT...@:-)
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by capitalflow
Hello FT

I am connecting in Zurich from Paris next Monday on Swiss on a Business class ticket and am a *G UA 1K. What is the Senators lounge like? Any good? If I get to CDG early, is there a lounge available? Sorry if this seems newbie but the forum indicated it could be.
Yes, there is a *G lounge in CDG, but as much as I know it's not very good. (I heard it's in the basement)

Regarding ZRH, if you arrive in the morning, head to the Swiss Arrival lounge for breakfast/brunch, MUCH superior to the offerings in the SEN lounge. Also much better showers.

I don't know where you'll be flying to (as you've not indicated it) but no regular departure lounge is better than the Arrival lounge. It's only a few minutes (through security, as the Arrival lounge is landside) to Gates A/B/D from landside in Zurich, and even the remote E gates won't take longer than 15 minutes to reach.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:15 am

Programs: CO Platinum, AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Amex Plat,HHonors Gold, Leader - Leading Hotels of the World
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Yes, there is a *G lounge in CDG, but as much as I know it's not very good. (I heard it's in the basement)

Regarding ZRH, if you arrive in the morning, head to the Swiss Arrival lounge for breakfast/brunch, MUCH superior to the offerings in the SEN lounge. Also much better showers.

I don't know where you'll be flying to (as you've not indicated it) but no regular departure lounge is better than the Arrival lounge. It's only a few minutes (through security, as the Arrival lounge is landside) to Gates A/B/D from landside in Zurich, and even the remote E gates won't take longer than 15 minutes to reach.
Thank you! Connect onto Vienna. Alas, coming back via Frankfurt. I had heard the arrivals lounge was pretty good but didn't know if it would feasible with about a 90 minute connecting time.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Thank you! Connect onto Vienna. Alas, coming back via Frankfurt. I had heard the arrivals lounge was pretty good but didn't know if it would feasible with about a 90 minute connecting time.
If you are originating in VIE you won't have access to the Arrival Lounge in FRA. The new SEN lounge in FRA pier A (on the way to gate A50 and slightly hidden) is not bad.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:33 am

Assuming you mean 90 minutes in ZRH: Yes, totally possible, and absolutely suggested to go there. Just leave it 30-35 minutes before your flight departs (if your arrival is on time, this gives you about 50-55 minutes in the arrival lounge, enough time for a nice shower and a slow breakfast.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.