Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2013, 1:04 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Or expectation?
Oh, I learned to give up any expectations when it comes to airline lounges...
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
A question about redeeming M&M miles on US domestic flights. Does a EWR-HNL flight still count as a domestic, hence sell for 35K return in Business Class?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:33 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LH4116
A question about redeeming M&M miles on US domestic flights. Does a EWR-HNL flight still count as a domestic, hence sell for 35K return in Business Class?
No, North America (other than Hawaii obviously) to Hawaii is 40K miles in Economy, 70K miles in Business and 125K miles in First. US domestic flights are 30K, 55K and 75K miles respectively.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/mediap..._785183620.pdf
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Yes, they do especially where there are alternatives.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
Yes, and not only for Christmas. During CNY they also cut a lot of routes to destinations where it's celebrated (Greater China/Singapore)
Thanks guys. So unless I can get the MUC flight, I guess no LH F for me on my outbound (not really worth it to try to hop thru somewhere on the East coast).
Old Nov 15, 2013, 3:31 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
No, North America (other than Hawaii obviously) to Hawaii is 40K miles in Economy, 70K miles in Business and 125K miles in First. US domestic flights are 30K, 55K and 75K miles respectively.

http://www.miles-and-more.com/mediap..._785183620.pdf
beware - if the equipment is 2-class on the routes to/from Hawaii you get charged for F and not for C, even though for flights within US mainland they normally charge you for C. Learned the hard way 2 years ago.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: My travel agent
I have been here before. Let the miles expired without any use. Account deleted. I had quite a few miles though so it bugs me a little.

So if I start fresh:

- What are cheap options for non German residents to save the miles from expiring? I had the credit card but it was not a good deal here so I canceled it as well.

- Member gets member - 2000 miles - When it gets credited?

- What are some offers a non German can sign up with much success? I mean there are some financial products (Commerzbank, DKB, Cortal Consors but with mixed success when signing up as a non German resident)

- What are good ways to spend the sign up bonuses? 15.000 miles, 25.000 miles, 35.000 miles? I remember there was a deal for intra European flights for 15 000 but you have to sign in to see it. No account now.

And basically that would be my whole journey. I wonder if it is worth it all the hassle for sign up for those accounts (the Cortals actually I'd keep, it is free, reports say not much success with DKB and I'd cancel Commerzbank as it is not free).

Any better programs as an alternative?
Especially one which worth pursuing taking into account foreign exchange as well.

Last edited by Wayfahrer; Nov 15, 2013 at 6:23 am
Old Nov 16, 2013, 6:48 am

My question is about choosing seats on a DHL code share with UA and baggage allowances.

My wife and I are flying in January from IAH to IST on UA but will board DHL metal from MUC to IST and again from IST to FRA on our return. Even though we are Business/first on our UA transatlantic flights we are coach on DLH but also can't chose seats yet.

Can someone advise when we will be able to actually choose our seats?

My second question is on checking baggage when departing IST. We had planned to each check a bag but on our return might have one extra bag with souvenirs, etc. We usually carry 2 allowable size carry on items. Even though we are in business/first for our flights from FRA to IAH I assume we will be unfortunately considered Economy flyers when departing IST as a far as checking bags goes.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 16, 2013, 7:03 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
I have been here before. Let the miles expired without any use. Account deleted. I had quite a few miles though so it bugs me a little.

So if I start fresh:

- What are cheap options for non German residents to save the miles from expiring? I had the credit card but it was not a good deal here so I canceled it as well.

- Member gets member - 2000 miles - When it gets credited?

- What are some offers a non German can sign up with much success? I mean there are some financial products (Commerzbank, DKB, Cortal Consors but with mixed success when signing up as a non German resident)

- What are good ways to spend the sign up bonuses? 15.000 miles, 25.000 miles, 35.000 miles? I remember there was a deal for intra European flights for 15 000 but you have to sign in to see it. No account now.

And basically that would be my whole journey. I wonder if it is worth it all the hassle for sign up for those accounts (the Cortals actually I'd keep, it is free, reports say not much success with DKB and I'd cancel Commerzbank as it is not free).

Any better programs as an alternative?
Especially one which worth pursuing taking into account foreign exchange as well.
The only ways I know of to prevent your miles from expiring are a credit card or M&M status. In the UK where I'm based most credit cards are free, so as long as you meet other criteria it is an easy option. I have to agree that other than credit cards, hotel stays and rental cars the opportunity to earn non-flying miles is fairly limited outside Germany. You don't have to be logged in to check what is currently available in your country at http://www.miles-and-more.com/ under 'Earn miles'. Unlike in the US it is not easy (if possible at all) to accumulate tens of thousands of miles through credit card sign-ups alone.

Unfortunately 'Member gets member' was withdrawn some time ago.

You don't have to have a M&M account to check mileage bargain offers.
http://www.meilenschnaeppchen.com/index.php?lang=en

It sounds like you may have to re-consider if M&M is the best programme for you. What do you expect most from a frequent flyer programme?
Old Nov 17, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
US domestic flights are 30K, 55K and 75K miles respectively.
isn't US domestic considered under the "Domestic" box redemption rates? (35 for J, 50 for F)?
also in LifeMiles i understood that UA award seats for domestic USA F is charged in J award rates, is that true also for booking UA F domestic on M&M?

and another question...is Transcontinental UA BusinessFirst considered a F or J redemption rate in M&M?

thanks in advance for the help!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: My travel agent
You don't have to be logged in to check what is currently available in your country at http://www.miles-and-more.com/ under 'Earn miles'.
First of all, than you for your feedback.

Maybe I did not articulate myself precisely enough. What I meant I actually am interested in the 'Spend miles' promotions, there was a fly anywhere in Europe for 15.000 miles back then.

It sounds like you may have to re-consider if M&M is the best programme for you. What do you expect most from a frequent flyer programme?
Good question! I thought I might sign up for those bank and brokerage account deals out of Germany and if I might get a nice trip for 15.000 or 25.000 miles and that's what I can get out of the whole deal, that might not be that bad at all.

Unfortunately 'Member gets member' was withdrawn some time ago.
https://www.miles-and-more.com/onlin...51&cid=1000261
Old Nov 17, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: BA,LH,LY,OK
Wayfahrer

In the past you got 2K per referral threw member gets member
Old Nov 17, 2013, 1:35 pm

Hello FT,

I have a question about purchasing miles.
I currently have about 110k miles on my account, and by March I have trips lined up that would push me to about 190k.
I'd like to use up these miles and then jump ship to A3, so I'd like to take my GF to the Pacific Northwest in C sometimes next summer.
I see that right now M&M has a promotion to get 20% extra miles when purchasing miles, but do I understand correctly that I have to use them IMMEDIATELY to redeem an award ticket and I can't stash them until next year?

Is this normal, or is it just because of the 20% promotion?

Thank you!
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Wayfahrer
Maybe I did not articulate myself precisely enough. What I meant I actually am interested in the 'Spend miles' promotions, there was a fly anywhere in Europe for 15.000 miles back then.
This is always the case if you book less than 2 weeks from your travel date. However, unless you're planning to take some superexpensive route, take note that in Europe, YQ charged on award tickets will be more than a discounted revenue ticket. And if you're flying on a superexpensive route, chances are that award inventory will already be sold out 2 weeks in advance.

Good question! I thought I might sign up for those bank and brokerage account deals out of Germany and if I might get a nice trip for 15.000 or 25.000 miles and that's what I can get out of the whole deal, that might not be that bad at all.
See above.

This just opens an empty page for me, due to their redirectors and cookies I guess. However, trust what NewbieRunner tells you, Member Gets Member has been discontinued, no matter what that page says.

In general, unless you are flying, and intend to fly, A LOT and credit it to M&M, and there is no other choice, then look into M&M. Otherwise... just forget it. Especially forget it for quick "spending a small amount of miles" type activity. For most cases, M&M makes any sense only if you're burning piles of miles at once on C or F awards.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by malmostoso
I see that right now M&M has a promotion to get 20% extra miles when purchasing miles, but do I understand correctly that I have to use them IMMEDIATELY to redeem an award ticket and I can't stash them until next year?

Is this normal, or is it just because of the 20% promotion?
It's because of the 20% promo, I guess. However, worry not - I haven't seen a single quarter yet without some sort of mileage purchase promo
Old Nov 17, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by hdogan
It's because of the 20% promo, I guess. However, worry not - I haven't seen a single quarter yet without some sort of mileage purchase promo
Thanks

I very much hope I'll manage to get enough miles for my trip without buying any, but I wanted to be ready!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.