Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:35 am

I have a few hours to kill at the FRA airport from 5-9pm and am riding business class from Denver. What is the best lounge to use (senator or business lounge)? Is there enough food at either place to fill up for dinner or should I head out and eat at the airport? Thanks.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
If you have *G status with your FF programme, you'll be admitted into the Senator lounge. If not, Business lounge it is. It's not a matter of choice, rather of status.

Senator lounges are essentially an upgraded version of Business lounges, especially in terms of food and drinks. The food & beverage offerings are superior to most snacks you can get at the airport (way higher standards than in US lounges from what I've heard), so you should be able to have a decent meal.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gojko88
If you have *G status with your FF programme, you'll be admitted into the Senator lounge. If not, Business lounge it is. It's not a matter of choice, rather of status.
Also if you don't have *G status the choice is dependent on the class of travel of your departing (not arriving) BP. If you are departing in Business you will have access to a Business lounge, no lounge access if you have no *G status and departing in Economy. (Unless of course you are departing in F.)

Senator lounges are essentially an upgraded version of Business lounges, especially in terms of food and drinks. The food & beverage offerings are superior to most snacks you can get at the airport (way higher standards than in US lounges from what I've heard), so you should be able to have a decent meal.
Senator lounges in FRA are definitely better than lounges I have visited in the US. However, unless you have access to the FCL or FCT, there's never enough food in any LH lounges for a 'dinner'. You are better off finding somewhere else at the airport.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Senator lounges in FRA are definitely better than lounges I have visited in the US. However, unless you have access to the FCL or FCT, there's never enough food in any LH lounges for a 'dinner'. You are better off finding somewhere else at the airport.
That all depends on one's appetite I found it quite adequate for a meal between a busy day and a flight home. It's just that sometimes (and more and more often as of late), the choices are, well... not to my liking.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Or expectation?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:40 am

Thanks for the clarification of the lounge accesses. I'll be departing in Business so the business lounge it is.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck
You should change your employer, if they send you Interkont in Y that's not good.
Originally Posted by RTW1
They won't be that surprised, they know what people do for miles.
Originally Posted by mmff
+1
Originally Posted by BinSabai
...and search for a employer who sponsor F!^
Originally Posted by hdogan
Well, if you know of one that does, and is looking for an IT security guy, let me know
Thanks everyone. I called AMEX, and they were able to re-issue on L class which gives me 100% UA miles (since it's not intra-europe)! Fare difference was minimal, and no change fee!
Old Nov 13, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Does LH typically curtail service in certain markets near Christmas? I'm looking for the ORD-FRA flight and it disappears after 12/26/13 and doesn't return until 1/1/14. Is that typical? The ORD-MUC flight remains though.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Does LH typically curtail service in certain markets near Christmas? I'm looking for the ORD-FRA flight and it disappears after 12/26/13 and doesn't return until 1/1/14. Is that typical? The ORD-MUC flight remains though.
Yes, they do especially where there are alternatives.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yes, and not only for Christmas. During CNY they also cut a lot of routes to destinations where it's celebrated (Greater China/Singapore)
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:15 am

Programs: A few, without status
Hi, new to M&M, so haven't got my head around the various details. I have done as much I could though. In summary have 24k miles and looking for 2 one way redemption seats LHR-TXL. I understand that it will cost me 15k miles for each ticket. And I am not eligible for milage bargains as it requires a 1 night stay. If any expert can help me in this please. Perhaps look at redeeming on Germanwings as it does not require a night's stay. Date is 20th December.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

M&M is not really a great choice for short haul eco flights since they charge a substantial fee/tax for awards. But for a oneway it might be a better deal.

No bargains since these are always returns.

Just use the M&M site to see what's available and what the fees will be.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by taff_2003
Thanks for setting up this new forum - it's just what I needed!

I'm familiar with making redemptions with BD DC, but have not yet made an award flight booking with M&M.

If, for example, I wanted to travel LAS-LAX-ZRH-LHR, the M&M site appears to allow me to check LX availability on LAX-ZRH-LHR. Is it a case of checking ANA to see availability on the LAS-LAX leg and then calling M&M to put all this together and make the full booking? Also, do I need to call up to make one way bookings?

Thanks ^
M&M is not really a great choice for short haul eco flights since they charge a substantial fee/tax for awards. But for a oneway it might be a better deal.

No bargains since these are always returns.

Just use the M&M site to see what's available and what the fees will be.
Thanks. I agree short haul is not the best use. However circumstances require this 1 way flight and revenue tickets are ~ 240, taxes and fuel charges etc for this flight is 68, so seems to have some value. Is there a way to know if tickets are available on germanwings on this date as it does not require 1 night stay?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

There are no restrictions on one way awards... The M&M site will show you availability and fees, those are not the same as for revenue tickets.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 8:59 am

There are no restrictions on one way awards... The M&M site will show you availability and fees, those are not the same as for revenue tickets.
Thanks, I will play with the M&M site

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.