FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   [NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1188510-newbie-lounge-ask-your-lufthansa-group-questions-here-2011-15-edition.html)

NewbieRunner Feb 26, 2011 2:00 pm

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Welcome the LH/M&M Forum Newbie Lounge!

The Newbie Lounge is a flame-free place where no question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and where you can ask anything about Lufthansa and Miles & More you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask.

Newbie lounges have been successfully operating in several FT forums including Alaska Airlines, American AAdvantage, Emirates Airlines, Thai Airways, oneworld and Hyatt forums.

I hope that this thread serves as a useful resource for people new to Lufthansa, the M&M programme, the M&M forum, and FlyerTalk in general.

If you are M&M old-timers, please feel free to contribute answers here just as you normally do in the rest of the M&M forum. But make sure to leave "do a search" or :rolleyes: at the door before entering. Also please limit the use of acronyms. If you're going to use an acronym, try and define it first.

Rambuster Feb 26, 2011 3:25 pm

Good idea!

DownUnderFlyer Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

A flame free thread in the M&M forum. Now thats a great idea.

VikingRaider Feb 27, 2011 9:54 am

Ok I'll ask the first 2 questions ...

1) If I book an LH flight which is operated for them by another Star Alliance member do I get my 25% FTL bonus even though the operating airline (Thai in this case) doesn't normally give the 25%.

2) According to the M&M calculator booking a Business class seat in effect gives 225% miles, ie 200% for the seat but only 25% bonus on the original mileage not the doubled one, is this actually correct ?

Thanks in advance.

red star Feb 27, 2011 10:13 am

Originally Posted by VikingRaider (Post 15941425)
Ok I'll ask the first 2 questions ...

1) If I book an LH flight which is operated for them by another Star Alliance member do I get my 25% FTL bonus even though the operating airline (Thai in this case) doesn't normally give the 25%.

2) According to the M&M calculator booking a Business class seat in effect gives 225% miles, ie 200% for the seat but only 25% bonus on the original mileage not the doubled one, is this actually correct ?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to FT.

1) No. Metal counts.
2) Yes. 25% base miles (also true for First class) or -within Europe - 25% from the flat rate.

VikingRaider Feb 27, 2011 10:16 am

That was quick ... many thanks.

sperrgepaeck Feb 27, 2011 11:39 am

Add specific stopover time and stopover city during flight booking

I have a question regarding flight booking and I was wondering if it is possible to add a specific stopover time and stopover city during LH flight booking?

At the moment on the LH webpage there is the option to buy your tickets by using the multi segment journey option. There I can define my route and a departure time, but not really a specific connecting time or stopover unless I do some maths. For a european flight that is no problem, but for an intercont flight with long flight time, different time zones etc. that might become a bit more complex for the unexperienced user.

On the German Rail webpage (sorry for bringing up trains into this forum) there is an option to add stopovers so called "VIA" and the time of the stopover.

For example; assume there is no direct flight between two city pairs, like CDG - DRS. I would like to optionally specify which connecting hub to use and also for how long I want to have the stopover. So I request FRA and 5 hours stopover. What I expect from the booking engine is to show me only routings through FRA which have +/-5 hours connecting time.

Hope its not too confusing and you understand where I am going with this topic. Thx in advance !

NewbieRunner Feb 27, 2011 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by sperrgepaeck (Post 15941950)
I have a question regarding flight booking and I was wondering if it is possible to add a specific stopover time and stopover city during LH flight booking?

At the moment on the LH webpage there is the option to buy your tickets by using the multi segment journey option. There I can define my route and a departure time, but not really a specific connecting time or stopover unless I do some maths. For a european flight that is no problem, but for an intercont flight with long flight time, different time zones etc. that might become a bit more complex for the unexperienced user.

On the German Rail webpage (sorry for bringing up trains into this forum) there is an option to add stopovers so called "VIA" and the time of the stopover.

For example; assume there is no direct flight between two city pairs, like CDG - DRS. I would like to optionally specify which connecting hub to use and also for how long I want to have the stopover. So I request FRA and 5 hours stopover. What I expect from the booking engine is to show me only routings through FRA which have +/-5 hours connecting time.

Hope its not too confusing and you understand where I am going with this topic. Thx in advance !

Unfortunately Lufthansa's online booking site is not very sophisticated though with the recent changes it's a little better than it used to be.

If you want to check which hubs may be used to connect to your destination you may want to try a downloadable timetable.

From Lufthansa's homepage selelct Information & Service > Timetable for mobile devices and for download, enter the two airports (CDG and DRS) and make sure to click the Show Connection flights option. You will get a pdf file listing all possible connections. The problem with this method is you cannot specify the date. So you cannot generate a timetable for flights after the end of March when the summer timetable starts.

You can then enter the times of your preferred flights, choosing one later than what the timetable suggests, in the multi segment booking page.

Alternatively some may suggest you use a good travel agent.

For a more complex itinerary involving intercont flights with long flight times, different time zones, etc. the good news is all times are local so you should be able to figure out the connecting time.

But the method described above doesn't really work for complex intercont itineraries, so either you will have to check the timetables segment by segment or use a travel agent.

Other methods might be to use Lufthansa's route map (Book & Plan > Route network) or Star Alliance's flight search but this is probably not what you are looking for so I'll stop.

mcdade Feb 27, 2011 3:31 pm

Quick question about status. As FTL I would have access to Business class check-in queues. What happens if there is only Economy and First? Can I go join that line at First?

red star Feb 27, 2011 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mcdade (Post 15943122)
Quick question about status. As FTL I would have access to Business class check-in queues. What happens if there is only Economy and First? Can I go join that line at First?

C check-in for FTL is only a benefit on M&M integrated airlines, not a *A benefit. Therefore your scenario would only apply to LH/LX check-in counters. There it simply never happens.

DownUnderFlyer Feb 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by mcdade (Post 15943122)

The only two benefits which come with Star Alliance Silver status are

• Priority Reservations Waitlisting - when there aren't any seats left on your preferred flight, gives you priority should a seat become available.
  • Priority Airport Standby - gives you top priority when standing by for a flight at the airport.

All other benefits which come with FTL status are limited to the integrated airlines like LH, LX etc. And I don't think there is a station where those airlines would only have Economy and First. And if they do, I would go into the F line.

But you couldn't use the benefit in the US for example where there would be Y and F checkin with US for domestic flights.

luvFclass Feb 27, 2011 10:10 pm

Hi FT's,

The missus just got confirmation this week that the hardware on LH400 flight in F, from FRA - JFK on 03/31 has been changed from B744 to A388. Safe to say, she is "very" excited about this turn of events.

I on the otherhand, am still flying with B333 on my separate travels, YUL - MUC - NRT, routing.

Question is, I can't seem to find any threads / travel reports on FT with any pictures about the A388 so she can see what's it like prior to boarding.

Thanks in advance, and for launching this "Newbie" thread NewbieR.

Regards,

F

sperrgepaeck Feb 28, 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner (Post 15942467)
Unfortunately Lufthansa's online booking site is not very sophisticated though with the recent changes it's a little better than it used to be.

Other methods might be to use Lufthansa's route map (Book & Plan > Route network) or Star Alliance's flight search but this is probably not what you are looking for so I'll stop.

Thank you for your reply, some good hints I will consider. I cutted you original post above to have more space on this page, hope thats ok.

NewbieRunner Feb 28, 2011 12:40 am

Originally Posted by luvFclass (Post 15945041)
The missus just got confirmation this week that the hardware on LH400 flight in F, from FRA - JFK on 03/31 has been changed from B744 to A388. Safe to say, she is "very" excited about this turn of events.
Question is, I can't seem to find any threads / travel reports on FT with any pictures about the A388 so she can see what's it like prior to boarding.

There's no trip report on FT about LH A380 F experience as far as I know, but a more or less "live" report by danielbk on the inaugural flight to NRT can be found in the following thread around post #69 to #100 with photos and links to videos.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...light-nrt.html

In the same thread there's a report with photos by Diamond Seats who flew in Y on the same inaugural flight (posts #100-120).

There's also a thread which reviews the F product on LH A380 in some detail.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ew-thread.html

I have posted some photos of my trip to NRT and back on A380 in F and a tour of LH A380 "München" during Star Mega Do 2 on flickr.

taff_2003 Feb 28, 2011 3:39 am

Thanks for setting up this new forum - it's just what I needed!

I'm familiar with making redemptions with BD DC, but have not yet made an award flight booking with M&M.

If, for example, I wanted to travel LAS-LAX-ZRH-LHR, the M&M site appears to allow me to check LX availability on LAX-ZRH-LHR. Is it a case of checking ANA to see availability on the LAS-LAX leg and then calling M&M to put all this together and make the full booking? Also, do I need to call up to make one way bookings?

Thanks ^