Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:58 am

Programs: QF, HH
Just wondering what the difference is between W and P fares on LH? I was on a W fare, but now having been rerouted, am now on a P airfare.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:21 am

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by Chese
Hello,

I'm looking at the flight DCA-ORD-DEN-RNO on UA. ORD is just a stop without a change of plane and has the same flight#. How will the mileage be calculated as separate segments, which would mean 3 or will it be 2 (DCA-DEN; DEN-RNO)?
You'll only get a BP for DCA-DEN (which won't mention ORD), so M&M will credit it as such.
My second question deals with a flight to Europe. The flight is RNO-DEN-YUL-FRA with a short layover (~45 min) in YUL. Do I have to go through any kind of immigration/boarder control/security in YUL or do I stay in the international section of the airport? Are 45 min transfer in YUL generally doable?

Thank you for you help in advance and thanks again for this nice newbie section.
CheSe
I haven't been to Montréal, but I had no problems making a connection fron US to TATL in Toronto last month. You need to fill in the Canadian Customs form, but that's it. Don't know how long it'll take at YUL, though, maybe you can get better info on that in the AC Forum.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gtr_jonathan
I would like to know if any M&M members have ever tried to use their FFP miles to book flight awards or upgrades with QR. I am thinking of flying LHR to SIN via DOH so any advice or tips will be much appreciated.

Thanks!
As there has been no response to your question you may like to check the following threads.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...r-airways.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...d-booking.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...r-airways.html
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:28 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catweazle
Just wondering what the difference is between W and P fares on LH? I was on a W fare, but now having been rerouted, am now on a P airfare.
I believe a P fare is in a slightly higher fare bracket than a W fare with fewer restrictions but for miles earning purposes they both earn 750 miles per each corss border segment.

p.s. And instead of 750 miles for a direct BCN-MXP flight you will earn 1500 miles for BCN-FRA-LIN.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: A3 Gold (*G), M&M FTL (*S)
Matt in France, thanks you for your help. I will ask about the YUL transfer in the AC forum.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Hey guys, I'm a USAir flyer and never flown on Lufthansa before.

I just booked a Y class fare from Philly to Frankfurt and I'd like to upgrade to J class but am reluctant to burn 60k miles on an award upgrade.

USAir doesnt allow you to buy upgrades on the cheap during check in so I have no idea how this works.

Will LH allow me to buy an upgrade for a reasonable price close to our flight leaving? My y class ticket was $4500 and the j class was $8000. Will they sell me the upgrade for $100? $500? or the whole price difference?

Thanks for the help.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:44 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Hey guys, I'm a USAir flyer and never flown on Lufthansa before.

I just booked a Y class fare from Philly to Frankfurt and I'd like to upgrade to J class but am reluctant to burn 60k miles on an award upgrade.

USAir doesnt allow you to buy upgrades on the cheap during check in so I have no idea how this works.

Will LH allow me to buy an upgrade for a reasonable price close to our flight leaving? My y class ticket was $4500 and the j class was $8000. Will they sell me the upgrade for $100? $500? or the whole price difference?

Thanks for the help.
How far is your flight out? $4500 is a LOT for a fare in Y! Often there are Z fares from the east coast to Germany for $2000-2500 if you book at least 60 days out. You can probably still cancel your ticket and just buy a Z fare (discounted business class)
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
about 3 week out. my corp. travel agent said business was pricing out at 8k. maybe ill call back and check on a z fare ticket. thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dubstyle311
about 3 week out. my corp. travel agent said business was pricing out at 8k. maybe ill call back and check on a z fare ticket. thanks!
Lufthansa are believed to offer cash upgrades at certain US stations as you will see in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...on-merged.html

However the most recent post in the thread was from 2008 and I'm not sure if similar offers are still available.

There's a more recent thread on cash upgrades but I haven't checked if they apply to US stations.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...h-upgrade.html

As supermasterphil pointed out $4500 for a Y fare seems rather expensive. You can easily check what prices are available yourself on Lufthansa's website.
http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/homepage
Old May 3, 2011, 3:05 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
I'm planning on converting my hotelpoints to miles & more points, which would result into 120k+ miles.

First question : would I get Senator status?

Second question: how quickly are the card and update vouchers etc. usualy send? Do you actualy need a physical copy of those vouchers btw? Or can you just use this online or on the phone?

3th question : are there any joining award miles? Or can I please anyone with a referral bonus?
Old May 3, 2011, 3:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Hotel point transfers post as bonus miles that don't count for status. So sadly you will get quite a few points on M&M but not any status. That only comes with actually flying on most airline partners.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
First I have no status with LH - Booked reward through *alliance partner

If I am already booked on a "I" booking class ticket (Business Class Reward) is there any method that can be used to get into First from that ticket?

Purchase upgrade, some sort of voucher, ect (I believe that the United Systemwide Upgrade is not eligible)
Old May 3, 2011, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

No way to voluntarily upgrade an I award. If they are oversold and no one is in front of you on the grading list you may score an op-up. So make sure you *A status is in the booking.
Old May 3, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: United, SWISS, Aeroflot, US Airways, SN Brussels
Lounge Access Question + Upgrade Whine

Hello LH acolytes, quick question! I will be traveling transatlantic soon to FRA and connecting on LH to elsewhere in Europe on full unrestricted business class tickets, but they are issued as a UA codeshare reservation although the flights are all LH metal. At the same time, my spouse is traveling on the same flight, on a wholly separate itinerary, in coach. I am a UA Premier. LH's lounge access page is not the clearest, especially when read in conjunction with *A guidelines...essentially, can I bring the spouse into the LH Business lounges with me as a companion?

Also, for the love of god, why is it still impossible to upgrade to F an $8000 ticket using miles when the ticket is a codeshare on *A partners!!!!! (that concludes the rant portion).

Thanks!
Old May 3, 2011, 11:37 pm

UA Premier = *Silver, so no access to LH lounges by elite status
C ticket = access to C lounge for pax alone, no guest/companion

Details here:

http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Loung...ons-and-access

If you buy full fare C, your TA can arrange an upgrade into F by contacting the regional LH sales office, otherwise you have to get a UAMP SWU on paper for use on LH from a UA 1K. Another option would be to call LH and ask if you can refare and buy up to F for a nominal change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.