Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: US-Platinum; Marriott-Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Even if you manage to take your rollaboard on the plane at your origin you may have problems when boarding a flight to LHR in FRA.

As First Class passengers your checked luggage will have special "HON" tags attached and will be handled separately from other priority luggage. If it goes well it should be one of the first on the carousel at your destination.

Unlike in the US there is no need to claim checked luggage in FRA, just to check it in again for your connecting flight. Your luggage can be checked through to LHR. You don't need to go through immigration in FRA but you will have to go through security screening and the less carry-on luggage you have the less hassle.

Since baggage claim is after immigration whether you have any checked luggage or not should not affect the time needed to clear immigration in LHR. Also you may have to walk quite a long way from the plane to immigration in LHR. By the time you are through immigration your luggage will probably be waiting for you on the carousel.
Thanks NR. This type of thread and your advice have tremendous value.
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by galipemi
Hi all,

I just have a quick question. I tried to read through the thread on connecting at Frankfurt and just got all

I will be flying YYZ - YUL - FRA - BCN, arriving in FRA with Air Canada and then on to BCN with Lufthansa. I have about 90 minutes between flights and am travelling business on all legs. Will I have access to a lounge, which one and do I really have the time to do it?

To make things messier, my travelling companion is coming in on AC872 from Toronto and meeting me for the FRA-BCN leg with only about 60minutes between the two.

What can we expect with these connections, should I be seeing about changing to a later flt to BCN?

TIA!
90 minutes is possibly a bit tight, never mind 60 minutes, but with a good tailwind, Eastbound Transatlantic Flights tend to be a bit early, so you should be ok. Either way, they're both legal connections, and if they're on the same Ticket, it's up to LH to get you to Barcelona if you misconnect.

As you're travelling in J, of course you can use the Business Class Lounges (I'll leave which ones to someone who's more familiar with the gates you'll be using at FRA). Whether you'll have time if all runs to schedule possibly depends on how long you have to queue - you'll have to pass through Security and clear Schengen Immigration, although any checked Luggage you have should be checked straight through to Barcelona.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 6:16 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by galipemi
I will be flying YYZ - YUL - FRA - BCN, arriving in FRA with Air Canada and then on to BCN with Lufthansa. I have about 90 minutes between flights and am travelling business on all legs. Will I have access to a lounge, which one and do I really have the time to do it?
For the last few days the YUL flight arrived at a B non-Schengen gate (B48). Lufthansa flights to BCN usually depart from a Schengen A gate (A2x, A3x). The most convenient lounge if you have the time will be the Business Lounge close to gate A26.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
What does NEK stand for? It doesn't seem to appear in the forum glossary.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 8:33 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stifle
What does NEK stand for? It doesn't seem to appear in the forum glossary.
A very good question. NEK stands for Neue Europakabine or New European cabin and here are two threads about it.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...opakabine.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-feedback.html
Old Apr 12, 2011, 5:58 am

Programs: QF, HH
I'm just wanting to know how I can change my LH M&M FF number to a UA membership number instead, once logged in online?
Old Apr 12, 2011, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Catweazle
I'm just wanting to know how I can change my LH M&M FF number to a UA membership number instead, once logged in online?
Retrieve your booking by logging into your account on lufthansa.com or miles-and-more.com. Click "Add or change your frequent flyer card" option, select a programme from the drop-down menu and enter the appropriate number.

There's a warning message "If you are a status customer please note that editing the frequent flyer card number might cause a seat reservation change."
Old Apr 12, 2011, 8:18 pm

I'll be flying EWR-FRA-AMS and back in first later this week. I am very excited to try LH F having loved LX First JFK-ZRH-JNB and back (all 340, 333 and 332!).

How is the F lounge in EWR?

If we arrive in the C concourse, C 12? and leave from the A concourse, gates 1-10 what is the best/easiest F lounge?

I have 2 hours each time in FRA so not sure its enough to try the terminal!

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks. -Upstate Flyer
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Upstateflyer
I'll be flying EWR-FRA-AMS and back in first later this week. I am very excited to try LH F having loved LX First JFK-ZRH-JNB and back (all 340, 333 and 332!).

If we arrive in the C concourse, C 12? and leave from the A concourse, gates 1-10 what is the best/easiest F lounge?

Hi,
the LH lounge at EWR is nothing to write home about. No dedicated F Lounge. Very small and limited Food selection. The only good thing is that it is very close to LH departure gates and they actually open a door and you will be right in the boarding zoo at the gate.

2 hours is plenty of time to go to the FCT from C arrival. Time-wise it does not make much of a difference if you walk to the A gates (and the FCL there) or the FCT. The latter is much nicer though in terms of security and potentially not as a crowded as the FCL in A.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Upstateflyer

I don't think there's a First Class Lounge in EWR. lufthansa.com and earlier posts in this forum mention a Senator Lounge and a SAS lounge in Terminal B 3 as options.

As you may know already you can use the First Class Terminal (FCT) or First Class Lounges (FCLs) in A or B in FRA. If your flight from EWR arrives in A, the FCL A will be most convenient. If it arrives in C, walking to the FCT may be just as quick. Follow the instructions in the first post in this thread. Check the first post of the FRA connection guide as well if you haven't done so already.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Frequent Flyer
Connecting to BCN through FRA

For the last few days the YUL flight arrived at a B non-Schengen gate (B48). Lufthansa flights to BCN usually depart from a Schengen A gate (A2x, A3x). The most convenient lounge if you have the time will be the Business Lounge close to gate A26.
NewbieRunner: I found your response to galipemi helpful. I am new to FT and have spent the last 2 hours scouring through several threads to figure out how I can minimize my dash from my UA flight (from IAD) to my LH flight to BCN. When I made my reservation with UA, I expressed my concern about the 90 minute connecting time but UA insisted that it was a legal connection. Well, it may be legal but I don't relish having a heart attack trying to make a connection or, worse, not making it at all.

Now that you have indicated that FRA-BCN normally leaves from an A gate, would you happen to know at which gate(s) the UA IAD-FRA flight is likely to arrive? If you have that information, I can try ("try" is the operative word here) to figure out my likely path from the UA arrival to the LH departure. I have looked at the maps included in another thread on connecting through FRA and I don't find any of them very clear. It appears that Gates A51-65? are on the third level of the Terminal 1 and the remaining gates are all on second level. Is that correct or did I misinterpret one of the maps?

I tried to find out UA 932's on-time performance from UA but they say they don't keep that information. Oh, really? I know that, as a general rule, early morning arrivals at most airports tend to arrive at the gate on time. The later in the day, the less likely. My flight from IAD will arrive at 11:50 am and the flight to BCN leaves at 1:20 pm. What do you think are my chances?

Any helpful hints from you or any other posters will be MOST appreciated. Since making this reservation, I have become increasingly dubious about whether I'll be able to make the connection.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:00 pm

Programs: LH M&M Silver, BA EC, AF FB
Originally Posted by Lust4Travel
NewbieRunner: I found your response to galipemi helpful. I am new to FT and have spent the last 2 hours scouring through several threads to figure out how I can minimize my dash from my UA flight (from IAD) to my LH flight to BCN. When I made my reservation with UA, I expressed my concern about the 90 minute connecting time but UA insisted that it was a legal connection. Well, it may be legal but I don't relish having a heart attack trying to make a connection or, worse, not making it at all.

Now that you have indicated that FRA-BCN normally leaves from an A gate, would you happen to know at which gate(s) the UA IAD-FRA flight is likely to arrive? If you have that information, I can try ("try" is the operative word here) to figure out my likely path from the UA arrival to the LH departure. I have looked at the maps included in another thread on connecting through FRA and I don't find any of them very clear. It appears that Gates A51-65? are on the third level of the Terminal 1 and the remaining gates are all on second level. Is that correct or did I misinterpret one of the maps?

I tried to find out UA 932's on-time performance from UA but they say they don't keep that information. Oh, really? I know that, as a general rule, early morning arrivals at most airports tend to arrive at the gate on time. The later in the day, the less likely. My flight from IAD will arrive at 11:50 am and the flight to BCN leaves at 1:20 pm. What do you think are my chances?

Any helpful hints from you or any other posters will be MOST appreciated. Since making this reservation, I have become increasingly dubious about whether I'll be able to make the connection.
Welcome to FT, Lust4travel.
During February and March, UA932 (Raleigh/Durham-Dulles-Frankfurt) arrived on time in FRA 83% of the time (49 of 59 Total Flights). On those occasions it was delayed, the average delay is 29 minutes, with the most delays happening on Monday, Wednesday and Friday departures. (source)

While early morning Flights usually arrive on time (assuming they spent the previous night at an Airport and so had no delays from earlier in the day), bear in mind that your Flight could be affected by knock on delays prior to A320 that operates the first part of the Flight arriving in Raleigh (The Flight leaves there at 7:12 pm)
Old Apr 13, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by matt in france
Welcome to FT, Lust4travel.
During February and March, UA932 (Raleigh/Durham-Dulles-Frankfurt) arrived on time in FRA 83% of the time (49 of 59 Total Flights). On those occasions it was delayed, the average delay is 29 minutes, with the most delays happening on Monday, Wednesday and Friday departures. (source)

While early morning Flights usually arrive on time (assuming they spent the previous night at an Airport and so had no delays from earlier in the day), bear in mind that your Flight could be affected by knock on delays prior to A320 that operates the first part of the Flight arriving in Raleigh (The Flight leaves there at 7:12 pm)
Matt in France: I wasn't aware that UA 932 originated in Raleigh. Your point is well taken about delays that could affect my IAD-FRA flight. I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that UA would build in sufficient time since the next leg of UA 932 is an overseas flight. But that could be a naive assumption on my part.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lust4Travel

Welcome to the M&M forum!

90 minutes should be sufficient for a connection in FRA. If you are on one ticket and the incoming flight is late, LH will put you on the next available flight. Assuming that you are on one ticket there's no need to be concerned as there are 3 more flights to BCN later in the afternoon/evening.

In the first post of the FRA connection guide I tried to explain how you can find the arrival and departure gates of any particular flights. If you check this information over a period of time you may (or may not!) see a pattern. Although LH's arrival and departure (flight status) information covers LH and codeshare flights, the latter are listed under the LH flight number. If you check by the route (e.g. IAD-FRA) you should be able to find the arrival gate of your flight. Click on the word "Arrived". Yesterday it arrived at gate A62. Today it will be B bus gate (though it may change).

Concourse A in FRA is actually on two levels. The upper level (A51-65) is for non-Schengen (almost exclusively US) arrivals and departures. The lower level (A1-42) for Schengenn flights. A51-65 are on top of A11-25.

If you arrive at an A gate, go to passport control near gate A65, go through security and down the stairs. You will find yourself next to gate A26. If you arrive at a bus gate, go up the escalator to passport control, then follow the signs through security to your departure gate which will take you through the "tunnel of horror" to concourse A and your departure gate.

But the best advice I can give is what you will find in the FRA connection guide: "Just follow the signs!"

p.s. What matt in france wrote explains why the flight left IAD 3 hrs late and arrived in FRA 2.5 hrs late yesterday.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 8:53 pm

Welcome to the M&M forum!

90 minutes should be sufficient for a connection in FRA. If you are on one ticket and the incoming flight is late, LH will put you on the next available flight. Assuming that you are on one ticket there's no need to be concerned as there are 3 more flights to BCN later in the afternoon/evening.

In the first post of the FRA connection guide I tried to explain how you can find the arrival and departure gates of any particular flights. If you check this information over a period of time you may (or may not!) see a pattern. Although LH's arrival and departure (flight status) information covers LH and codeshare flights, the latter are listed under the LH flight number. If you check by the route (e.g. IAD-FRA) you should be able to find the arrival gate of your flight. Click on the word "Arrived". Yesterday it arrived at gate A62. Today it will be B bus gate (though it may change).

Concourse A in FRA is actually on two levels. The upper level (A51-65) is for non-Schengen (almost exclusively US) arrivals and departures. The lower level (A1-42) for Schengenn flights. A51-65 are on top of A11-25.

If you arrive at an A gate, go to passport control near gate A65, go through security and down the stairs. You will find yourself next to gate A26. If you arrive at a bus gate, go up the escalator to passport control, then follow the signs through security to your departure gate which will take you through the "tunnel of horror" to concourse A and your departure gate.

But the best advice I can give is what you will find in the FRA connection guide: "Just follow the signs!"

p.s. What matt in france wrote explains why the flight left IAD 3 hrs late and arrived in FRA 2.5 hrs late yesterday.
Wow. Now that's the kind of detailed information that WILL make a difference in cutting down the running-around-confused time. I'm going to print your response and carry it with me when I leave for my trip. A couple more follow-up questions for you (no good deed goes unpunished!): (1) In these days of high security, may I assume that, if I don't make the FRA-BCN flight, my bags won't be put on that flight either? That is to say, no bags go into cargo hold unless they can be matched with a passenger on the flight. (2) Are you confirming that, except for gates A51-65, all other gates are on the second/lower level? Therefore, if for some reason I arrive at a B or C gate, I can simply stay on that level and look for my departure gate?

I, too, saw that UA 932 arrived 2.5 hours late today. Not encouraging at all!! What puzzles me is that it left on time -- so how does a flight get delayed for over two hours while in the air? The delay couldn't all be attributed to on-ground problems at FRA, could it?

I have a question totally unrelated to the above. A car service is picking me up at the airport in BCN. If I miss my connection, I will have to let them know somehow. Since I don't have a cell phone that works in Europe, what are my options for contacting the company representative in Barcelona?

Yes, I intend to follow the signs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.