Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Lufthansa Group Questions Here [2011-15 edition]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:51 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lust4Travel
(1) In these days of high security, may I assume that, if I don't make the FRA-BCN flight, my bags won't be put on that flight either? That is to say, no bags go into cargo hold unless they can be matched with a passenger on the flight.
If you don't make the connecting flight it's unlikely your bags will make it either. But I don't know how they ensure you and your bags travel on the same flight. I think certain amount of flexibility is allowed if you don't make the connecting flight involuntarily. After all if you make the connection and your bags don't (which happens from time to time – fortunately not often to me!) you'd never get your bags sent to you on a later flight if they insisted passengers and their bags MUST be on the same flight.

(2) Are you confirming that, except for gates A51-65, all other gates are on the second/lower level? Therefore, if for some reason I arrive at a B or C gate, I can simply stay on that level and look for my departure gate?
It seems like it on the map with the exception of some bus gates on the lower level but in reality FRA is far more complex and A, B and C (not to mention D and E) are more like separate terminals. Added to this there's also the complication of Schengen and non-Schengen zones and airside and landside. The airport allows passengers who normally need a visa to enter Germany/Schengen to transit without a visa, so the layout is quite complex. For example, the SkyLine train which connects A with B/C and D/E has separate carriages for Schengen and non-Schengen passengers so they cannot mix. The only way to move between B/C and A while staying airside/non-Schengen as far as I know is to use the SkyLine train.

But don't worry about all this. If you follow the signs you shouldn't need to think which level you are on.

I, too, saw that UA 932 arrived 2.5 hours late today. Not encouraging at all!! What puzzles me is that it left on time -- so how does a flight get delayed for over two hours while in the air? The delay couldn't all be attributed to on-ground problems at FRA, could it?
On lufthansa.com it looked as if UA932/LH9253 departed on time but I don't think information regarding codeshare flights is always accurate. If you check www.flightstats.com you will find that the scheduled departure time from IAD was 9:51 PM Tue 12th but the actual departure was 12:52 AM on 13th, i.e. 3 hours late.

I have a question totally unrelated to the above. A car service is picking me up at the airport in BCN. If I miss my connection, I will have to let them know somehow. Since I don't have a cell phone that works in Europe, what are my options for contacting the company representative in Barcelona?
If your flight is very late (more than 4 hours for a longhaul flight) European airlines must provide "care" such as free meals, free telephone calls, etc. but I don't know how good UA might be in this respect. There are telephones which take credit cards so they will be an easier option for you.

Yes, I intend to follow the signs!
I'm sure you will!

p.s. You may know this already but when you arrive in FRA you will have to go through passport control/immigration to enter Schengen and security screening before your connecting flight. You can stay airside but you can easily go landside if you have the time. All you need is to clear security again to go airside. If you miss your connecting flight you don't have to stay airside while you wait for the next flight. There will be no further passport check when you arrive in BCN, just the customs which should be straightforward.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Apr 14, 2011 at 1:31 am Reason: added p.s.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: UA Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If you don't make the connecting flight it's unlikely your bags will make it either. But I don't know how they ensure you and your bags travel on the same flight. I think certain amount of flexibility is allowed if you don't make the connecting flight involuntarily. After all if you make the connection and your bags don't (which happens from time to time – fortunately not often to me!) you'd never get your bags sent to you on a later flight if they insisted passengers and their bags MUST be on the same flight.
Boy, I sure am glad I got on the FT website and found your Newbie Lounge. The info you have provided is invaluable. I am much more informed about how UA-LH connections work at FRA than I would have ever been otherwise.

I asked about the bags traveling in the same plane as the passenger because, on at least 2 occasions, the plane I was on was held up from departure because the airline personnel could not match a suitcase to a passenger who had boarded the plane. In one instance, they finally identified the passenger and, in the other instance, I think they took the suitcase off the plane. Your point about sending the bag on a subsequent flight by itself if it failed to make the connection is well taken. Perhaps that bag goes through extra scrutiny if it's traveling alone.

Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:22 am

Programs: UA Frequent Flyer
Phones that take credit cards

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
If your flight is very late (more than 4 hours for a longhaul flight) European airlines must provide "care" such as free meals, free telephone calls, etc. but I don't know how good UA might be in this respect. There are telephones which take credit cards so they will be an easier option for you.
Forgot to ask. Where would I find these phones that take credit cards because that would be the answer to my problem. I don't really care if UA provides me with a free meal but I do need to contact the car service in BCN so that they don't get flustered about my not being on the flight and, more importantly, that they come back to pick me up on the flight that I'm actually on.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 9:29 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lust4Travel
Forgot to ask. Where would I find these phones that take credit cards because that would be the answer to my problem. I don't really care if UA provides me with a free meal but I do need to contact the car service in BCN so that they don't get flustered about my not being on the flight and, more importantly, that they come back to pick me up on the flight that I'm actually on.
Frankfurt Airpot website simply says:

You will find telephones in all terminal areas and exits. You have the choice of paying with euro coins, telephone card or credit card.
http://www.frankfurt-airport.com/con...x_service.html

I have seen them around though haven't used any. I'm sure it won't be too difficult to find them.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 7:37 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
I am sure this has been asked and answered many times but after searching I am still a little confused...

I am travelling on the A380 to FRA from JFK in a few days. I am *G and I am in J class. What is the best lounge option? I gather that there is some sort of gate lounge for A380 flights, is this the same as a Senator lounge? Am I right in thinking I can access Senator lounges with my *G card? I am going to be at the airport quite early so will have time to seek out the best lounge! Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigVince76
I am travelling on the A380 to FRA from JFK in a few days. I am *G and I am in J class. What is the best lounge option? I gather that there is some sort of gate lounge for A380 flights, is this the same as a Senator lounge? Am I right in thinking I can access Senator lounges with my *G card? I am going to be at the airport quite early so will have time to seek out the best lounge! Thanks for your help!
I am not sure about any gate lounge for A380 flights but wonder if there's something similar to gate lounges for C14-16 in FRA. If you are *G the best option is the Senator lounge which is on the second level of the Lufthansa lounge just behind security. (The first level is the Business lounge.) It's probably the best Senator lounge anywhere. Enjoy the lounge and your flight!

On arrival in FRA you will have access to the Welcome Lounge (landside) if you have the time.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Thank heavens! No question too dumb! So here are two, for which I couldn't find answers elsewhere:
First, we are traveling in LH F on May 20 from FRA to EWR. Is this one of the newly outfitted 747s? Or are they merely having only 8 passengers in space for 16?
Second, will they give us pajamas/sleeper suits? We leave ATH hotel around 3 am, so are going to want to sleep!

Thanks so much!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by psfcfa
First, we are traveling in LH F on May 20 from FRA to EWR. Is this one of the newly outfitted 747s? Or are they merely having only 8 passengers in space for 16?
You might be very, very lucky and get a retrofitted 747 but it would be better not to count on it. It will probably be an unconverted 747 with only 8 passengers with 16 seats.

Second, will they give us pajamas/sleeper suits? We leave ATH hotel around 3 am, so are going to want to sleep!
Since LH402 is a day flight don't count on getting pajamas, either. You are likely to receive a polo shirt instead.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 6:17 pm

Programs: AC75, TD AeroInfiniteP, AmexBizPLAT, SPG-G HyattGlobby
LH Routes with New F-Retrofits

Hi,

I am planning a RWT Fclass trip to Asia in spring 2012 via the Atlantic Ocean thru either ZRH/MUC/FRA. The plan is to try and fly, either LX and/or LH, and visit the as many LH/LH Asian-operated destinations like ICN/BKK/HKG etc.. as possible (LH-F is my new fav,and preferred, *A redemption Airline).

In light of the AC Aeroplan realignment of points redemption chart, I am going to try and book my 2012 LH-vacation in F before the new rates take effect.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...rd-charts.html

Questions ares;
Is there a site that tells me what LH/LX routings from North America (airport departure options are - YUL/BOS/JFK/IAD/ORD) may possibly have the B744/A346 with the upgraded F-cabins (excluding A388)?

And the same applies on the LH/LX Asia return flights from the following cities: TPE/BKK/ICN/SIN.

I just returned from a trip last month, and I only experienced the older 8 seat set-up on the following LH routings:

YUL-MUC older 8 seat setting.
FRA-ICN older 8 seat setting.
ICN-FRA older 8 seat setting.
FRA-ORD - 16 seats in Max. 8 seat sitting.

Missus Fclass & I enjoy our trips immensely to see family & friends in Asia, LH-F ground & air service, FCT/FCL in MUC/FRA, rubber ducky,.

Any help is solving this hardware puzzle above would be greatly appreciated (especially this masterthread creator, NewbieRunner). Just noticed that this thread was started on my DOB!^ It was meant to be I guess.

Thanks in advance,

luvFclass
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by luvFclass
Questions ares:
Is there a site that tells me what LH/LX routings from North America (airport departure options are - YUL/BOS/JFK/IAD/ORD) may possibly have the B744/A346 with the upgraded F-cabins (excluding A388)?

And the same applies on the LH/LX Asia return flights from the following cities: TPE/BKK/ICN/SIN.

luvFclass
Hi, luvFclass,

Two threads come to mind to help you:
Suggestions for First Class Award - another member describes his old trip on various *A carriers to Asia and asks for suggestions. I personally found this interesting.

For the second part, finding new F cabins on LH, follow this: http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/lufth...terthread.html

For finding LX's new F, you need to use a route served by the A333, that's the only plane in the fleet with new F, the A343 only has new C.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:22 am

Need help from you guys. I have no clue about FRA airport. My first time there. Have the schedule mentioned below for connections. How easy/hard is it?? know nothing about the gates or the terminals. I do need a Schengen Visa. Need help with the following.

Which terminal do i arrive??
Which terminal do i depart??
Where is immigration done??
How do i get to the departing gate??
How long does it take from arrival gate to dep gate including security and immigration ??

My flight details are
LH 410 IAD - FRA 07.50 arrives
LH 36 08.55 FRA - BRE

Return Journey
LH 45 BRE - FRA 21.00 arrives
LH 778 21.55 FRA - SIN
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:47 am

Miles from friends

Hi. Sorry if this has been asked before or if it's too evident.

I have bought five return flights (Swiss) as a gift for four friends and me. All other four aren't members of LH Miles & More program.

So, is it possible/permitted to put my Miles & More card number under their reservation and receive miles for this?
When I did the reservation, I only put a M&M number under my name, left the others spaces blank.

Thank you!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
sadly the system is smart enough to notice that the name(s) don't match and no miles will be credited if you did that.

what you could do is make use of the family account function at bmi diamond club and pool the miles of 8 accounts into one bmi DC account. More details here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12836941-post3.html
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:23 pm

Thank you for your reply, oliver2002
I have taken a look at bmi family account, but I think it's a mess for this case and it's not worth it.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rocket69
Need help from you guys. I have no clue about FRA airport. My first time there. Have the schedule mentioned below for connections. How easy/hard is it?? know nothing about the gates or the terminals. I do need a Schengen Visa. Need help with the following.

Which terminal do i arrive??
Which terminal do i depart??
Where is immigration done??
How do i get to the departing gate??
How long does it take from arrival gate to dep gate including security and immigration ??

My flight details are
LH 410 IAD - FRA 07.50 arrives
LH 36 08.55 FRA - BRE

Return Journey
LH 45 BRE - FRA 21.00 arrives
LH 778 21.55 FRA - SIN
All Lufthansa flights arrive at and depart from Terminal 1, which is divided into three concourses: A, B and C. Each concourse is almost like a separate terminal. Most (but not all) gates in B and C concourses are used by international (non-Schengen) flights. Concourse A consists of two levels with the lower level used for domestic/Schengen flights and the upper level used for international flights (almost exclusively to/from the US).

You can find which gates are likely to be used by your flights by checking the flight status (arrival and departure) section of Lufthansa’s website over a period of time. Please be aware that gates can change from day to day and it is not possible to predict the exact gate used by your flight but you will get some idea.

LH419 (I think you must mean LH419 rather than LH410) arrived at a B gate for the last couple of days. But it could arrive at a non-Schengen A gate or a remote apron position (you will be bused to international arrival B). Since you are connecting to a Schengen destination (BRE) you will have to go through passport control in FRA as well as security. Don't worry about where passport control is located. Simply following the signs to the departure gate of your connecting flight (LH36) should take you through passport control and security screening.

65 mins is quite short for an international to domestic/Schengen connection but many morning arrivals from the US arrive early and if so you should be ok. Provided you are travelling on one ticket LH should put you on the next available flight to BRE should you miss your connection.

For your second itinerary you will go through passport control in FRA (but no further security screening normally). Once again 55 mins is a little tight but provided your flight from BRE is on time you should be fine. I wonder if you have any chance of getting on an earlier flight from BRE to be on the safe side?

Unfortunately it is not possible to say how long it takes from the arrival gate to the departure gate because those gates can vary. You may also like to check the FRA connection thread and especially the first post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.