Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH North America: Official Upsell Programm [paid upgrades at US station] [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist

I found a sheet of paper at a counter in the last days

Says:

LH Upsell Programm Y to C

Booking classes:
Y - 100$
B/M - 500$
Q/H - 700$

The following information was provided:

-Target are NON status customers
-To be offered on days with overbooking
-Upgrades with miles vouchers from status customers have priority
-Only Eastbound (US to Europe)
-Eligible for full mileage reward Business Class

The signature below said NYC EA, East Meadow (whereever that is) so it looks like an official LH document.

Hope you can use it somehow !
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
So they are going to sell those op-ups now.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:36 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Good deal.. but will probably be only around in summer. FRA RM hates such deals, specially in markets where regular/discount C bring plenty of $$$. From the pricing it looks like they used the Z fare as a reference.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:48 pm

Programs: LH and BA
The more important question is...

Upsell for FC ????
Old Jul 6, 2007, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
So the only way to purchase an upgrade is to use a non elite M&M # or none at all

In case they say it´s not available you can take your FTL/SEN/HON card out and hope for an op-up. Thats a strange strategy, especially they say upgrades with miles have priority but the status customers check-in quiet late when many Y customers are already "processed".

DTW is still the op-up paradise anyways ^
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
-Target are NON status customers
Could it be that they don't want frequent flyers to get used to that - and not book business class anymore?

SmilingBoy.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Could it be that they don't want frequent flyers to get used to that - and not book business class anymore?

SmilingBoy.
That will be the fact, but:

Most frequent flyers dont pay their own tickets ! The company does, and I doubt that someone gets used to it to pay 700$ per way on a regular basis when his travel department books him Q fares.

Who would spend lets say 4x this amount per month out of his own pocket ?

Of course with an Y fare the situation changes... 100$ for 5600 status miles out of LAX ^
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:04 pm

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Most frequent flyers dont pay their own tickets ! The company does, ...
Here we go again...

Originally Posted by oliver2002
From the pricing it looks like they used the Z fare as a reference.
Almost correct: Y fares are usually more expensive than Z fares.

Originally Posted by roundtheworld
The more important question is...

Upsell for FC ????
Indeed... I was so emotionally and mentally devastated at not being allowed to pay for my ug to F a couple of days ago in my most recent LH415, and instead was forced to accept the mandatory op-up! I wasn't even asked for my consent! "I have a new seat for you mister andre1970!" Tsk, tsk, rude LH people, I'm telling ya!

Totally inconsiderate! What am I gonna do now with all those SWUs ? Do you guys think they pegged me as a cheapskate? Should I complain? Should I kick a$$ and take names later? Or should I take pictures, instead?

Mods, could you please merge my last 3 posts? Thanks!

Last edited by oliver2002; Jul 6, 2007 at 6:20 pm Reason: merged 3 posts on member request
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:06 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
DTW is still the op-up paradise anyways ^
Really? Y to C?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Savage25
Really? Y to C?
Yep at least Y to C... There are days when it´s so full that everyone with an elite M&M # gets upgraded to C even before check-in.

At the gate it´s like christmas sometimes

Cant say about C to F, I heard from time to time yes. But they are good when it come that you want to use vouchers even on last minute (1h before departure) ^
Old Jul 6, 2007, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Yep at least Y to C... There are days when it´s so full that everyone with an elite M&M # gets upgraded to C even before check-in.

At the gate it´s like christmas sometimes

Cant say about C to F, I heard from time to time yes. But they are good when it come that you want to use vouchers even on last minute (1h before departure) ^
Good to know. I'm taking a colleague who is travelling Y with me next weekend and an op-up for her to C would be a nice thing to achieve!

C->F is usually done ahead of times for friends of Rita, the station manager in co-ordination with the lady in charge of sales in the DTT area. But only in oversell situations.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Good to know. I'm taking a colleague who is travelling Y with me next weekend and an op-up for her to C would be a nice thing to achieve!

C->F is usually done ahead of times for friends of Rita, the station manager in co-ordination with the lady in charge of sales in the DTT area. But only in oversell situations.
Does she have status ?

Y is so packed at the moment... should work then !
Old Jul 7, 2007, 6:11 am

Does she have status ?

Y is so packed at the moment... should work then !
No status, flying outside of US & CA for the first time.

Y for that flight is a healthy 9 in all classes, so I wouldn't bet on an overbooking.
Old Jul 7, 2007, 8:15 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Fly2LAX
-Upgrades with miles vouchers from status customers have priority
Kinda generous isn't it? Now that they had another opportunity to sell us medium frequent travelers for cheap. I am waiting for someone to proclaim that vouchers and miles come for free and hence should be overridden by that petty cash.
..Most frequent flyers dont pay their own tickets !
I wanted to say the same as andre1970 but then I know people who wrote whole theses on purely random assumptions proclaimed as a factoid.
Of course with an Y fare the situation changes... 100$ for 5600 status miles out of LAX ^
LAX to where exactly?
As Y class gives 150% mileage and C 200% (175% & 225% for FTL and SENs, 200% & 250% for HONs), the oceanic gap will have to grow quite a bit further to render your statement true .
So the only way to purchase an upgrade is to use a non elite M&M # or none at all ..
The latter, hence they can grant the full C miles .
Old Jul 7, 2007, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
Kinda generous isn't it? Now that they had another opportunity to sell us medium frequent travelers for cheap. I am waiting for someone to proclaim that vouchers and miles come for free and hence should be overridden by that petty cash.

I wanted to say the same as andre1970 but then I know people who wrote whole theses on purely random assumptions proclaimed as a factoid.

LAX to where exactly?
As Y class gives 150% mileage and C 200% (175% & 225% for FTL and SENs, 200% & 250% for HONs), the oceanic gap will have to grow quite a bit further to render your statement true .

The latter, hence they can grant the full C miles .
Sure if you are self employed you pay out of your own pocket but after all its company travel expenses

Y in general for Eco-Class on regular 100% earning basis LAX-FRA... dont start to count the beans here

Of course you can let the lounge add your regular M&M # into your reservation after you purchased the upgraded, but since the "Upsell Rule" says no upgrades for elites it might be worth it to check-in without a shiny card.

Any other concerns ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.