Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

La Parolaccia in Claremont is about 15 minutes in the wrong direction, but is excellent food (though I've only been to their original Long Beach location)
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
It's based on OpenTable diners' reviews, so the list probably consists only of restaurants that are on the site/app.
I've looked at those reviews and ratings a few times - pretty useless.

And, as proof: The Ivy? I haven't heard anyone say the food is good there ever.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
I've looked at those reviews and ratings a few times - pretty useless.

And, as proof: The Ivy? I haven't heard anyone say the food is good there ever.
I haven't been to The Ivy in years, not my cup of tea; but its food rating on Zagat is faily high (24); however, it is best known for celebrity sightings.

I have been to five on the list within the past year, Bestia, Cassia, Gjelina, Ink and Perch LA. The food is outstanding at the first three, very good at Ink and better than average at Perch LA (which has other reasons for its popularity).

I've heard very good things, from friends whose taste in food I trust, about Republique. I don't know much about the others.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:21 pm

Republique is fantastic. Weekend brunch is a great time to go - but anytime is good.

I'm basically with you on the other places - the ones you listed are great, and I haven't been to most of the others except Toca Madera. Went once, fine; I'll probably try it again sometime.

One place that I won't revisit, though, is Bestia. Food is top notch, but the noise was just out of control. One person in our group just gave up on conversation and the rest of us went hoarse. Server couldn't hear us; we couldn't hear him. Silly and not enjoyable.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My wife and I ate at Patina downtown last weekend. Amazing, incredible experience! It wasn't flawless, but even the flaws were handled graciously. We will definitely be back.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 8:44 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

In LA Weekly:
10 Best Restaurants in Santa Monica

10. Tacos Punta Cabras
9. Water Grill Santa Monica
8. Father's Office
7. Milo & Olive
6. Santa Monica Yacht Club
5. Belcampo Meat Co.
4. Tar & Roses
3. Mélisse
2. Rustic Canyon
1. Cassia
Been to five of the ten, 1, 2, 3, 7 and 8.

Click on the link for the reviews.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:06 pm

Also if you're willing to wait a long time for a reservation, there's n/naka in Culver City which is also extraordinarily excellent.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Also if you're willing to wait a long time for a reservation, there's n/naka in Culver City which is also extraordinarily excellent.
But it is not in Santa Monica, so it is not on that list.

n/naka is one Sang Yoon's five recommendations of places to eat in Culver City:
Old May 3, 2016, 6:20 pm

KPCC:
Los Angeles chefs win big at 2016 James Beard Awards

Excerpts:
Chef Suzanne Goin took home the outstanding chef award Monday night at the James Beard Awards, and Chicago mainstay Alinea won the outstanding restaurant honor at a ceremony many consider the Academy Awards of the culinary world.

Paired with Dahlia Narvaez's win for her work as pastry chef at Osteria Mozza in Los Angeles, Goin's victory is a sign West Coast culinary work is earning its due from an awards ceremony that for 24 years was based in New York.

Best Chef: West (CA, HI, NV)

Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, Animal, Los Angeles

Old Jul 1, 2016, 11:42 pm

Hi all!

I've got a difficult question but I hope someone will help me.
I need a recommendation for a good steakhouse for a porterhouse, preferrably dry-aged. With no overcooking. And it should be very good as I'm flying away from US and this time I didn't have really good steaks, only mediocre which is both unexpected and frustrating.
That's just the beginning

Then they must have something to be prepared medium-well or well done for my wife and it should not taste like coals. I believe it's not so easy

Then I need something for the kids (chicken or salmon).

Are there any such places in LA?
Any recommendations would be welcomed!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 12:21 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by antonen
Hi all!

I've got a difficult question but I hope someone will help me.
I need a recommendation for a good steakhouse for a porterhouse, preferrably dry-aged. With no overcooking. And it should be very good as I'm flying away from US and this time I didn't have really good steaks, only mediocre which is both unexpected and frustrating.
That's just the beginning

Then they must have something to be prepared medium-well or well done for my wife and it should not taste like coals. I believe it's not so easy

Then I need something for the kids (chicken or salmon).

Are there any such places in LA?
Any recommendations would be welcomed!
Well, there is always Capital Grille in Beverly Hills (I think it's still there?), but keep in mind that Capital Grille is still a chain restaurant. (But their coconut cream pie is pretty amazing, and I hate coconut.)

But I like Nick and Stef's. It is part of the Patina group of restaurants. It is located in downtown LA and is known for their 28-day dry-aged steaks. Their huge dry-aging meat locker is covered in glass windows so you can see in - it is the only place I know in Los Angeles where you can actually see the meat dry-aging. The last time I ate there, the server was trying to explain to me that it was one of only three like it in the nation or something like that. Having said that, I don't recall a porterhouse on their menu when I was last there - I seem to recall ribeyes, filets, and NY strips, but perhaps that was a different menu from the current one. They have chicken and salmon, of course.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 2, 2016, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The one place where the porterhouse is the star is Wolfgang's in Beverly Hills. The owner was headwaiter at Peter Luger in New York for almost 4 decades before branching out on his own.

Like Nick and Stefs mentioned above, they dry-age for 28 days in their on-premises aging box (not glassed in).

The porterhouse would be ordered for two, with the ability to order each half of the double steak to be cooked to two levels of done-ness.

Several non-steak options available for the kids.

http://wolfgangssteakhouse.net/bh/
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:33 am

In addition to the ones listed above, there are several excellent steakhouses in Southern California that originated here and/or are not affiliated with national chains.

The first one is a favorite of my my fellow moderator Moderator2. The rest are listed in no particular order:
Old Jul 2, 2016, 8:44 am

In case you have an Amex with an address in SoCal, you'll likely find an Amex Offer for Nick and Stef's in there.

So the parents like steak but the kids prefer chicken or salmon?
Old Jul 2, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
More local:

The Royce at the Langham (Pasadena) - prime American, Japanese wagyu and Australian cuts cooked over wood burning grill

Chi Spacca - part of the Mario Batali Mozza cluster, their Italian tinged speciality is a 42 Oz. dry aged bone-in New York steak

Also about to open: Celebrity chef Curtis Stone and his brother Luke are opening Gwen (named for their grandmother) in Hollywood - a prime butcher shop with attached restaurant serving the same prime cuts

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 2, 2016 at 9:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.