Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:56 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
The semifinalists for the 2016 James Beard Awards for restaurants and chefs have just been announced.

Here are the nominees from the greater Los Angeles area:
Best New Restaurant

• Baroo, Los Angeles
  • Cassia, Santa Monica

Outstanding Bar Program

• The Varnish, Los Angeles

Outstanding Chef

• Suzanne Goin, Lucques, Los Angeles

Outstanding Pastry Chef

• Margarita Manzke, République, Los Angeles
  • Dahlia Narvaez, Osteria Mozza, Los Angeles

Outstanding Restaurant

• A.O.C., Los Angeles
  • Providence, Los Angeles

Outstanding Restaurateur

• Roy Choi, Los Angeles (Chego, Sunny Spot, A-Frame, Pot, LocoL)

Outstanding Service

• Saam at the Bazaar by José Andrés, Beverly Hills, CA

Outstanding Wine Program

• Spago, Beverly Hills, CA
  • Studio at the Montage, Laguna Beach, CA

Outstanding Wine, Beer, or Spirits Professional

• Manfred Krankl, Sine Qua Non, Oak View, CA

Rising Star of the Year

• Sarah Hymanson and Sara Kramer, Madcapra at Grand Central Market, Los Angeles

Best Chef: West

• Josef Centeno, Orsa & Winston, Los Angeles
  • Michael Cimarusti, Providence, Los Angeles
  • Jeremy Fox, Rustic Canyon, Santa Monica, CA
  • Ludo Lefebvre, Trois Mec, Los Angeles
  • Travis Lett, Gjelina, Venice, CA
  • Ori Menashe, Bestia, Los Angeles
  • Carlos Salgado, Taco Maria, Costa Mesa, CA
  • Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, Animal, Los Angeles
  • Kris Yenbamroong, Night + Market Song, Los Angeles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
It's interesting that he lists Roy Choi with his brick-and-mortar places, when he really rose to prominence with the Kogi trucks.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Darn... sorry about that... looks like I'll have to chuck my food advisor license into the garbage .
Don't do that, I need more suggestions. My wife had such a good time in LA she said we should go more often.......so who's got an in at Totoraku?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: UA Plat (1MM), Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It's interesting that he lists Roy Choi with his brick-and-mortar places, when he really rose to prominence with the Kogi trucks.
Chego is one of my go-to places every time I pass through LAX. It's in Chinatown, about 30 mins from the airport, but the chubby pork belly bowl is well worth the effort to get there!
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Los Angeles Restaurants

DaveInLA

Assuming you live in L.A. based on your user name, any recommendations you could provide for a good lunch spot for Saturday week (2nd April)?
Would prefer not to go to somewhere that is doing 'brunch' and if the restaurant was in Santa Monica / Venice beach direction - even better! (Have a bit of time to kill before a 5pm flight out of LAX).

Many thanks

Pilot37

Last edited by Pilot37; Mar 22, 2016 at 9:11 am
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Pilot37
DaveInLA

Assuming you live in L.A. based on your user name, any recommendations you could provide for a good lunch spot for Saturday week (2nd April)?
Would prefer not to go to somewhere that is doing 'brunch' and if the restaurant was in Santa Monica / Venice beach direction - even better! (Have a bit of time to kill before a 5pm flight out of LAX).

Many thanks

Pilot37
I'm not actually too familiar with the West LA area, as I currently live in Pasadena and recently lived in Long Beach. ONe thing I do feel about LA, though, is that the food isn't very good for what you pay for. Most of my fancy meals are out of town. In LA, I mostly eat cheap Chinese and Mexican food, diners, stuff like that.
But I did recently have dinner at Fig & Olive in West Hollywood using a Groupon, and I was impressed.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only in L.A.:
Man Accused Of Throwing 13-Foot-Long Python At Sushi Bar Customers In Studio City

<snip>

Employees of the Studio City eatery say the man had shown the 13-foot-long reptile to kids outside of the restaurant Sunday night moments before it was thrown at customers.

They say it all started after he ate and paid for his $200 meal.

Employees say he first showed a smaller snake to customers who then told him to take it out. That’s when they claim he got mad and returned with a larger snake.

<snip>
Old Mar 23, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pilot37
DaveInLA

Many thanks

Pilot37
<not necessary after move and merger>

I really like the breakfast and lunch offerings at Milo & Olive (SM) and Gjelina (Venice).

Last edited by TWA884; Mar 23, 2016 at 7:02 pm Reason: Referral and link no longer necessary
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:13 pm

In the Los Angeles Times:
America's hottest 100 restaurants? 25 are in California, 3 in Las Vegas

Who has time to sample and select the 100 hottest restaurants in the U.S.? OpenTable diners, that's who.

Travelers in pursuit of good food will find the "100 Hottest Restaurants in America for 2016" favors California, Florida and New York -- and finds little culinary buzz in the Northwest.

The list includes 25 restaurants in California (West Hollywood eateries get a lot of love), four in Colorado, three in Las Vegas, two in Arizona and one in Oregon. Hard to believe there wasn't one worthy hot spot in Washington state.

In this hot list, restaurants aren't ranked; they're listed in alphabetical order.

<snip>
The Los Angeles area restaurants that made the list are:
  • Bestia
  • Cassia
  • E.P. & L.P.
  • Gjelina
  • High Rooftop Lounge
  • Ink
  • The ivy
  • Manhattan Beach Post
  • The Nice Guy
  • Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila
  • Perch LA
  • Pump
  • Republique
  • Sur Restaurant
  • Toca Madera
  • Ysabel
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by TWA884
In the Los Angeles Times:
The Los Angeles area restaurants that made the list are:
  • Bestia
  • Cassia
  • E.P. & L.P.
  • Gjelina
  • High Rooftop Lounge
  • Ink
  • The ivy
  • Manhattan Beach Post
  • The Nice Guy
  • Palmilla Cocina Y Tequila
  • Perch LA
  • Pump
  • Republique
  • Sur Restaurant
  • Toca Madera
  • Ysabel
Is this list based on food quality? or just popular joints that get people reviewing? I looked at all of California, and the one they had in SF was AsiaSF. Umm... Okay.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Is this list based on food quality? or just popular joints that get people reviewing? I looked at all of California, and the one they had in SF was AsiaSF. Umm... Okay.
It's based on OpenTable diners' reviews, so the list probably consists only of restaurants that are on the site/app.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 9:27 pm

Dinner near Ontario airport

Friday night flying into ONT right around 20:00. Picking up a rental car and i want to have dinner before driving to Twentynine Palms via Palm Springs.
Suggestions for a good dinner, sushi or farm to table type place without having to straying far from 10? Thanks.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA *Alliance
At that time of night in that area, I don't think you're going to find anything of the sort. You'll have your pick of any of the great American chain restaurants, however. Your best bet would be to arrive earlier and find something to your liking in the Palm Springs area.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Rancho Cucamonga does have some decent, non-chain restaurants. It's a bit of a stray but not much. Paul Martin's is a restaurant that gets good reviews, even though it is a regional chain: http://paulmartinsamericangrill.com/ It is owned by Paul Fleming, who created PF Chang's, Fleming's Steak House, and Pei Wei Diner.

You also have Slater's 50/50 burgers and other local places, including a sushi joint, in the area. Pan the Yelp map to the 15 at Foothill Boulevard and see what you find. You can take the 210 east and not lose much time.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:01 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Originally Posted by calwatch
Rancho Cucamonga does have some decent, non-chain restaurants.
I would also include The Sycamore Inn to this group.

The time of the evening may be an issue for some the suggestions. if running late, I would second the Slater's recommendation. Not an elegant restaurant, but has above average comfort food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.