FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Los Angeles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles-507/)
-   -   The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-angeles/1818687-consolidated-greater-los-angeles-area-restaurants-thread-2015-date.html)

TMM1982 Sep 9, 2015 2:30 pm

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Nobu Malibu

Has anyone eaten here? What did you think?

rjque Sep 9, 2015 3:11 pm

Is it different than all of the other Nobus? I've been to San Diego and Las Vegas (as well as Matsuhisa in Beverly Hills and Aspen) and they are all fine for chain food, but too expensive for the low level of creativity.

VivoPerLei Sep 10, 2015 9:23 am

Timely thread. Will be there in a couple of weeks and will definitely try to visit. Hopefully it is comparable to Nobu London. I'm presuming I won't have any trouble getting a reservation

TMM1982 Sep 10, 2015 10:57 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 25404941)
Timely thread. Will be there in a couple of weeks and will definitely try to visit. Hopefully it is comparable to Nobu London. I'm presuming I won't have any trouble getting a reservation

I would call. Back in 2014, I was driving down PCH on a weeknight on my way to Geoffrey's. It seemed every place I saw was empty except Nobu which was extremely packed.

VivoPerLei Sep 10, 2015 11:12 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25405452)
I would call. Back in 2014, I was driving down PCH on a weeknight on my way to Geoffrey's. It seemed every place I saw was empty except Nobu which was extremely packed.

Just called. We're set

TMM1982 Sep 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 25405528)
Just called. We're set

Do me a favor and come back and post about your experience here. It has good reviews from what I've seen but wouldn't mind hearing what you thought.

TWA884 Sep 10, 2015 4:53 pm

There is recent discussion in this thread:
Need help filling two days in LA with my wife!

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 24361748)
Nobu is highly overrated and expensive. But you may see famous people (assuming you're describing the one in WeHo) so perhaps it's worth it to you. If you are seeking the best sushi however - then this is a place to avoid.

Driving up PCH to Malibu is wonderful - there are nice places to eat with views (yes they even have a Nobu there if you must). At least then you'll get views alongside the overpriced sushi.

<snip>

Originally Posted by bsdstone (Post 24368468)
Thanks for the great advice...especially the sunset views! My wife loves a sunset! As for Nobu...I know it's not the best sushi around, but their Alaskan Black Cod is one of my all time favorite dishes, so I hit it whenever we are in a city that has one...had some NOBU last night in San Diego as a matter of fact! :-)

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 24371851)
You're welcome. I agree Nobu is great for cooked foods and apps. It's just overrated for sushi. Stick with the cooked stuff and apps (yes, even sashimi apps) and it can be enjoyable, although expensive.

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 24372627)
If you like Nobu Matsuhisa's food, you ought to try his original restaurant, Matsuhisa Beverly Hills at 129 N. La Cienega Blvd. 310-659-9639. It's not as elegant, but the food is spectacular (menu).

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry (Post 24373425)
Be careful... Matsuhisa is even more expensive than Nobu! People do love the sushi there - but personally, I still say it isn't the best (regardless of price).

The best is by Nozawa. He had a restaurant for years in Studio City but I believe he closed it. His disciples have opened a variety of restaurants including Sushi Sasabune (HI, NYC, LA). He also has a new concept called Sugarfish (LA only) - which is all omakaze style sushi and is simply unbelievable. If you want a more traditional omakaze style sushi from them - they have a bar with very limited seating in the back of the Beverly Hills Sugarfish. Reservations required.

VivoPerLei Sep 11, 2015 1:34 am

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25406326)
Do me a favor and come back and post about your experience here. It has good reviews from what I've seen but wouldn't mind hearing what you thought.

Will do. Can't say I was too impressed with that initial hospitality, "You can only have the table for 1.5 hours so we can turn it", but maybe that's the standard in the US.

TMM1982 Sep 11, 2015 2:21 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 25408671)
Will do. Can't say I was too impressed with that initial hospitality, "You can only have the table for 1.5 hours so we can turn it", but maybe that's the standard in the US.

That stinks!!

VickiSoCal Sep 11, 2015 8:12 am

No. That is not the standard. I have never had a restaurant say that.

VivoPerLei Sep 11, 2015 8:23 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 25409819)

Who knows, maybe they're rented out for a big party and it's not normal policy. In London I've often been told that I have two hours to eat and vacate the table, but on the few occasions I've gone over no restaurant has ever had the audacity to suggest I wrap it up.

TWA884 Sep 11, 2015 8:49 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei (Post 25409887)

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 25409819)

Who knows, maybe they're rented out for a big party and it's not normal policy. In London I've often been told that I have two hours to eat and vacate the table, but on the few occasions I've gone over no restaurant has ever had the audacity to suggest I wrap it up.

It's not standard in the United States; however, a handful of times over the years I've been told that I can have the table for only two hours, never less than that, mostly in trendy restaurants that are popular with Hollywood crowd.

TMM1982 Sep 11, 2015 10:21 am

On occasion, I've showed up at a fine dining restaurant without a reservation and they told me they could seat me but I only had 1.5 hours to complete my experience. I didn't have a problem with them telling me that.

TWA884 Sep 11, 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25410422)
On occasion, I've showed up at a fine dining restaurant without a reservation and they told me they could seat me but I only had 1.5 hours to complete my experience. I didn't have a problem with them telling me that.

That's quite different than having a reservation and being advised of an unreasonable time limit upon arrival.

When I plan in advance spend over $100 per person on a meal, I expect not to be rushed. At Providence and Melisse, two of the best in the Los Angeles area, a meal can easily last in excess of three hours.

VivoPerLei Sep 29, 2015 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 25406326)
Quote:

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei

Just called. We're set

Wife and I both thought our meal at Nobu Malibu was amazing, much better even than Zuma Dubai which was our previous gold standard for this type. On the flip side, the service was shite. Arrogant, non-professional waiter. Had the Omakase menu (we spent hundreds of dollars) and asked for a menu after the fact because I wanted to remember all the courses. Was told: no you can't have a menu, sorry, I don't even remember what courses are on that menu today, and just go to our website and maybe you can piece it together. All that for a very large tip!

It's the kind of thing that drives one crazy. In London you will not only most likely get the menu, but they will have the chef sign it.

Also got yelled at for parking my own car, but that's another story.