Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:47 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by corky
FWD is too small to try to plan as an airport run. But MB Post is his other place that I love. Only problem is noise and crowd/communal table situation.
How's LeFevre's The Arthur J?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884
How's LeFevre's The Arthur J?
Very expensive...very.
I have not been to Arthur J. I figure I can cook an excellent steak at home or if I wanted to eat out and have steak probably go to Mastro's or someplace like that. I guess I could go to Arthur J for a drink sometime.
Not David's places but in MB I also like Little Sister, Nick's Petro's and Love & Salt.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Thanks.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 3:00 pm

I live in Pasadena and will be going to Alexander's Steakhouse next week for her birthday. Anybody been there before?
Old Jul 21, 2016, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Went to Salt last night. ..in the Marina del Rey hotel about a 10 minute drive from lax. I highly recommend this place especially for out of towers who want an LA vibe. It is right on the water and surrounded by beautiful yachts and you watch the sailboats coming in the channel. ...just lovely. At night they have those big lampshade heat lamps and a dramatic fire pit. It's pricey for sure but food was good although a small menu. All in all it makes for a very special evening.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I live in Pasadena and will be going to Alexander's Steakhouse next week for her birthday. Anybody been there before?
Yes. Splurge and go for the real Kobe beef that they serve.

Alexander's Steakhouse is one of the 9 restaurants in the US licensed to sell authentic Kobe beef.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by Statman
Alexander's Steakhouse is one of the 9 restaurants in the US licensed to sell authentic Kobe beef.
Interesting in that the Wynn in Las Vegas has previously claimed to have the only US restaurants serving true kobe.

A glance at the official Kobe marketing site shows the nine, including Alexanders:

http://www.kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1...cture=48&tag=3

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 22, 2016 at 6:52 pm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
More beef options: Le Relais de l’Entrecôte, a branch of the Paris and Geneva restaurants, has opened in West Hollywood. They will serve the single option menu of steak frites (with secret butter sauce) accompanied by a salad with walnuts and a mustard vinaigrette dressing.

Serving lunch/dinner, no reservations taken. The website is live, but no content yet beyond the logo and address/phone number.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 23, 2016 at 9:03 pm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Statman
Yes. Splurge and go for the real Kobe beef that they serve.

I just looked this up, was surprised to know this!

My wife and I did the tasting menu-- she chose 3 oz Kagoshima A5 wagyu, I had the 18 oz dry-aged USDA Prime T-bone. The wagyu is ridiculously rich, 3 oz is about right for something like that. Interestingly, the Pasadena Alexander's menu doesn't have "Kobe" but the Cupertino and SF restaurants do. From what I've read, there's nothing particularly special about Kobe vs some of the other A5 wagyu beef like Miyazaki and Matsusaka.

Overall, Alexander's is a way underrated restaurant in the LA area.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Interesting in that the Wynn in Las Vegas has previously claimed to have the only US restaurants serving true kobe.

A glance at the official Kobe marketing site shows the nine, including Alexanders:

http://www.kobe-niku.jp/shop/?lang=1...cture=48&tag=3
Wait a minute. That link shows two Alexanders on the list, Cupertino and San Francisco. Not Pasadena. What gives? I was thinking of trying out the Pasadena one.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
Wait a minute. That link shows two Alexanders on the list, Cupertino and San Francisco. Not Pasadena. What gives? I was thinking of trying out the Pasadena one.
If you look at the individual menus, you will see the Hyogo Tajima Kobe on the SF and Cupertino menus but it is not on the Pasadena menu.

http://www.alexanderssteakhouse.com/

So if you are looking to sample that specific cut in California, you'll need to go north (or to Vegas).
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If you look at the individual menus, you will see the Hyogo Tajima Kobe on the SF and Cupertino menus but it is not on the Pasadena menu.

http://www.alexanderssteakhouse.com/

So if you are looking to sample that specific cut in California, you'll need to go north (or to Vegas).
Thanks I missed that above.

I ended up booking in at the W Westwood so I'm not sure I want to attempt the drive to Pasadena this trip. Has anyone tried STK?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:57 pm

Boy do I feel like an idiot. I had seen that link before, but wasn't even paying attention to the address and did not realize that the Pasadena Alexander was not licensed to sell authentic Kobe beef.

I ordered it nonetheless when I was there and it was good.

Time for a road trip north or to Las Vegas!
Old Jul 29, 2016, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone tried STK?
To answer my own question, I tried STK and found it to be a delight. Great service and a really good filet.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you like the views and the food/drink at Gladstone's in Malibu, you had better visit in the next few months, as apparently they will not be renewing their lease with LA County:

http://la.eater.com/2016/8/9/1241435...t-by-la-county

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.