Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CalVol
Thanks for the responses...we got started about an hour later than planned and now we are stuck in traffic.😳
So did you make the event? Get any good (or not good) food?

David
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Hollywood - lunch venue recommendations

One of my European colleagues will be visiting SoCal on holiday with his family (two kids - 12 & 20) and I will be flying in to host them to lunch one day of their trip. They are staying in the Hollywood area and would like to have lunch in the area if possible; otherwise the only guidance I was given is “nothing too spicy” (which I realize is subjective). I’d appreciate recommendations from the FT community who are familiar with the area. I don’t want anything too casual, but nothing with a dress code at lunch time - otherwise I’m flexible on a price point. Thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Hi @cawhite,

I've merged your question into the consolidated Los Angeles restaurant thread, where it will get more exposure than a stand alone post.

There are so many options, traditional, modern and ethnic. Off the top of my head, the following come to mind:

Musso & Frank Grill, the quintessential restaurant of Hollywood's golden age.

More modern options include Paley in Columbia Square - the former home of CBS - serving updated American food, and Kismet, serving Mediterranean inspired food.
cawhite likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Hi @cawhite,

I've merged your question into the consolidated Los Angeles restaurant thread, where it will get more exposure than a stand alone post.

There are so many options, traditional, modern and ethnic. Off the top of my head, the following come to mind:

More modern options include Paley in Columbia Square - the former home of CBS - serving updated American food, and Kismet, serving Mediterranean inspired food.
Thanks! I meant to post I had already tried Musso & Frank but they are closed that day. (I had it in my original post but accidentally closed the window before posting and had to start over). I’ll check out your other two recs. Thanks again!
Old Jun 30, 2018, 8:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I like Nancy Silverton's Pizzeria Mozza and have heard good things from people whose food recommendations I trust about Salt’s Cure.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 5:14 am

Hi @cawhite,

We were all set for lunch at Paley...but due to a last minute snafu with their accommodations (the apartment they were renting no longer being available "due to an emergency" - but that's a story for another thread), my colleague and his family are now staying in a different part of town. Any suggestions for venues near Santa Monica Pier? They are planning to spend the afternoon there following lunch, so I thought it might be a good area to meet for lunch to minimize their navigating LA traffic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions (I tried searching this thread going back a year but didn't find any results).
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by cawhite
We were all set for lunch at Paley...but due to a last minute snafu with their accommodations (the apartment they were renting no longer being available "due to an emergency" - but that's a story for another thread), my colleague and his family are now staying in a different part of town. Any suggestions for venues near Santa Monica Pier? They are planning to spend the afternoon there following lunch, so I thought it might be a good area to meet for lunch to minimize their navigating LA traffic. Thanks in advance for any suggestions (I tried searching this thread going back a year but didn't find any results).
Again, this is a part of town with many good options. The quintessential Santa Monica restaurant is The Lobster, right where the pier meets Ocean Blvd. My favorite lunch spot is Milo & Olive, the food is outstanding, but it is always busy and very loud. The same owners also have Huckleberry Bakery and Cafe. There are the Ivy at the Shore and the Water Grill next to each other on Ocean Blvd. Plan Check Kitchen + Bar is a block away. Farmshop at The Brentwood Country Mart on 26th and San Vicente (OK, Santa Monica is across 26th Street), serves market driven food by a French Laundry alum.

There are also quite a few places on Montana Ave and on Main Street.
ajGoes and cawhite like this.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, if they are here this week or next, it is Dine L.A. season: https://www.discoverlosangeles.com/dinela-los-angeles-restaurant-week/

David
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:56 pm

Again, this is a part of town with many good options. The quintessential Santa Monica restaurant is The Lobster, right where the pier meets Ocean Blvd. My favorite lunch spot is Milo & Olive, the food is outstanding, but it is always busy and very loud. The same owners also have Huckleberry Bakery and Cafe. There are the Ivy at the Shore and the Water Grill next to each other on Ocean Blvd. Plan Check Kitchen + Bar is a block away. Farmshop at The Brentwood Country Mart on 26th and San Vicente (OK, Santa Monica is across 26th Street), serves market driven food by a French Laundry alum.

There are also quite a few places on Montana Ave and on Main Street.
. We ended up at Ivy at the Shore (today) - it was perfect. The added bonus was having them put us in the back room which only had one other table seated (the front room filled up and was a bit noisy). Thank you again for your recommendations and such a quick response - I really appreciate it!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:05 pm

From EATER:
And the Los Angeles Times:
‘Not real foodies’? The Michelin Guide eats its words, will return to Los Angeles

Excerpt:
The L.A. guide was most famously slammed by late Los Angeles Times critic Jonathan Gold, who was outspoken in his disdain for Michelin’s presence in his hometown. Writing for the L.A. Weekly in 2008, when he was that paper’s critic, Gold contended that the “boneheadedness” of the guide was ill-suited to a city with a dining scene so complex, unique and wide-ranging. “Last year’s inaugural Michelin Guide to Los Angeles restaurants was appalling, ignorant of the way Angelenos eat, reading as if it was put together by a team too timid to venture further than a few minutes from their Beverly Hills hotel,” he wrote. “This year’s guide, although it is more or less identical, is just boring.”

Gold went on to lament the absence of stars for any Korean, Middle Eastern, Central American, regional Mexican or regional Thai restaurants. (A handful of restaurants in those categories did receive Bib Gourmand recognition, Michelin’s separate award for “good quality, good value cooking.”) “We historically have not been a city that fits with the Michelin aesthetic, and I agreed when Jonathan said we’re not a Michelin town,” Yoon said. “But I also don’t think it’s a city that is the same as it was 10 years ago.”

Indeed, much has changed. Half of the 20 restaurants that received stars in the final L.A. guide have closed. Those that remain include Providence, Spago and Urasawa, which each received two stars, and such one-star recipients as Osteria Mozza, Asanebo, Cut and Water Grill. Joining them is an impressive roster of newer and ambitious restaurants that have been credited with helping push L.A. to the forefront of national dining conversations. Vespertine, n/naka, Bavel, Trois Mec, Taco María, Dialogue, Orsa & Winston and Lukshon are all likely Michelin contenders.

It remains to be seen whether inspectors will award stars to a wider range of L.A. restaurants this time around — and if, for the first time, any receive the much-heralded three-star ranking. In the U.S., San Francisco holds the most number of three-star restaurants with eight.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:20 pm

Sounds great, in theory, but I think I agree with late, great J Gold in thinking Michelin isn't a great fit for LA. It just seems to stuffy and old-school.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

An excellent (and highly opinionated) guide to the Los Angeles dining scene:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.