Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:04 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
LA Weekly just published its list of The 10 Best Restaurants in Downtown Los Angeles.

Three of my favorites, Bestia, Orsa & Winston and Bäco Mercat, made the list.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Anything near LA Live I shouldn't miss? I'm staying there for two days next weekend and have no meal plans.
I agree with TWA884's choices, especially Bestia and Baco Mercat. Are you coming here for the marathon? Regardless, do note that there will be more people around than usual, so make reservations if you plan on eating at these places.

I don't know if you can make reservations to Bestia this close.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
WP24 isn't to be missed. If you can't get into the main restaurant, their attached bar/lounge also has incredible decor and a really tasty menu.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I agree with TWA884's choices, especially Bestia and Baco Mercat. Are you coming here for the marathon? Regardless, do note that there will be more people around than usual, so make reservations if you plan on eating at these places.

I don't know if you can make reservations to Bestia this close.
Yes, we are coming in for the marathon. My wife is a runner and apparently this is "her Super Bowl." The 12th is her birthday so I'm looking for a walk or short Uber from Marriott LA Live so we can enjoy our-selves responsibly.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Yes, we are coming in for the marathon. My wife is a runner and apparently this is "her Super Bowl." The 12th is her birthday so I'm looking for a walk or short Uber from Marriott LA Live so we can enjoy our-selves responsibly.
(Ack! I had this nice list going, and then Win10 decides to shut down on me to update itself.)

In summary:

The only place I would eat at inside LA Live is Katsuya (possibly).

For some not-so-high-end places:

Walking distance:
  • Pantry for greasy diner food
  • Engine Co. 28 for New American fare

Short Uber:
  • Wooden Spoon for an amazing pot pie (was featured on Food Network, if that matters to you).
  • Jacks n Joe for the best pancakes in town. Also for a gut-busting breakfast burrito, order "The '78"
  • Taqueria Vista Hermosa for awesome street tacos inside a mercado
  • Most anything at the Grand Central Market

My other go-tos in DTLA:
  • Philippe's for french-dipped sandwiches
  • Urth Caffe for a healthy bakery/cafe in a very urban setting
  • Wurstkuche for exotic grilled sausages
  • Shinsengumi or Daikokuya for ramen
Old Feb 8, 2016, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Within an elevator ride is Ford's Filling Station; Broken Spanish is a couple of blocks away. I have yet to eat at either, but have heard good things about both.

Orsa & Winston and Bäco Mercat, which I mentioned earlier, are about a mile and a half from the Marriott.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 4:15 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
(Ack! I had this nice list going, and then Win10 decides to shut down on me to update itself.)

In summary:

Katsuya is excellent for celebrity sightings right? I think TMZ is always hanging around.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 8:56 am

Thanks IceTrojan and TWA884 ^
Old Feb 16, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by IceTrojan

In summary:

For some not-so-high-end places:

Walking distance:
  • Pantry for greasy diner food
  • Engine Co. 28 for New American fare

Short Uber:
  • Wooden Spoon for an amazing pot pie (was featured on Food Network, if that matters to you).
  • Jacks n Joe for the best pancakes in town. Also for a gut-busting breakfast burrito, order "The '78"
  • Taqueria Vista Hermosa for awesome street tacos inside a mercado
  • Most anything at the Grand Central Market

My other go-tos in DTLA:
  • Philippe's for french-dipped sandwiches
  • Urth Caffe for a healthy bakery/cafe in a very urban setting
  • Wurstkuche for exotic grilled sausages
  • Shinsengumi or Daikokuya for ramen

Went to Engine Co. 28 many times about a decade ago for work dinners; thought the food was only so-so.

I've been to Urth in Venice but not DT. Thought the hipster vibe was pretty annoying and the food/coffee was only OK.

Highly recommend Wurstkuche. I believe this was started by a couple of USC grads and they have stuff like alligator sausages on the menu, (and bockwurst, which I don't see many places even though it's pretty mild in its ingredients).
Old Feb 16, 2016, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by icedancer
I've been to Urth in Venice but not DT. Thought the hipster vibe was pretty annoying and the food/coffee was only OK.

Highly recommend Wurstkuche. I believe this was started by a couple of USC grads and they have stuff like alligator sausages on the menu, (and bockwurst, which I don't see many places even though it's pretty mild in its ingredients).
Urth Caffee is in Santa Monica. I agree though that the food is so-so. The bubble tea is pretty bland. I can eat the sandwiches, but it's nothing special.

Wurstkuche is good, but expensive for hot dogs. The one is downtown tends to get pretty crowded compared to the one in Venice.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Urth Caffee is in Santa Monica. I agree though that the food is so-so. The bubble tea is pretty bland. I can eat the sandwiches, but it's nothing special.
Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that. Although I'd call that the southern end of SM What's the official SM/Venice dividing line?

Wurstkuche is good, but expensive for hot dogs. The one is downtown tends to get pretty crowded compared to the one in Venice.
Heh. I'd beg to differ on the hot dog description. Shape is similar, but taste is not
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:28 pm

Went to Engine Co. 28 many times about a decade ago for work dinners; thought the food was only so-so.
Wanted to report back and second this post.

Dinner at Drago Centro was amazing, I highly recommend especially at that price point. Engine Co. got moved from a dinner to a lunch after we were invited to Beverly Hills Saturday night and it was a miss - we were both happy we didn't end up doing a dinner there.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 10:42 pm

What's the official SM/Venice dividing line?
The dividing line between the City of Santa Monica and Venice - which is within the Los Angeles city limits - runs mostly along Dewey Street, a couple of blocks north of Rose Ave.
Old Feb 16, 2016, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Dinner at Drago Centro was amazing, I highly recommend especially at that price point. Engine Co. got moved from a dinner to a lunch after we were invited to Beverly Hills Saturday night and it was a miss - we were both happy we didn't end up doing a dinner there.
Darn... sorry about that... looks like I'll have to chuck my food advisor license into the garbage

Given the other concurring thoughts here, I must have just gotten lucky on the nights I went. Or my taste buds were shot, which is very plausible.
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:30 am

Glad you got to go to Drago. The one time I've been there (on a pre-chosen menu for a work function) I was blown away. Totally reshaped what I knew Italian to be. In the future, burrata bar aside, I'd probably choose Drago over Osteria Mozza if I wanted Italian.

Btw, I still have a soft spot for Roy's, even though I've been there like dozens of times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.