Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Los Angeles
Reload this Page >

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 30, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Older posts on this topic may contain relevant information and are located in the archived thread:
Print Wikipost

The Consolidated Greater Los Angeles Area Restaurants Thread (2015 - Date)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Can't say I was too impressed with that initial hospitality, "You can only have the table for 1.5 hours so we can turn it", but maybe that's the standard in the US.
Had the Omakase menu (we spent hundreds of dollars) and asked for a menu after the fact because I wanted to remember all the courses. Was told: no you can't have a menu, sorry, I don't even remember what courses are on that menu today, and just go to our website and maybe you can piece it together. All that for a very large tip!
This is inexcusable. They get away with this arrogance because folks put up with their shenanigans. You should have asked to talk to the manager; I would have.

Last edited by TWA884; Sep 29, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
Quote:

Can't say I was too impressed with that initial hospitality, "You can only have the table for 1.5 hours so we can turn it", but maybe that's the standard in the US.

Quote:

Had the Omakase menu (we spent hundreds of dollars) and asked for a menu after the fact because I wanted to remember all the courses. Was told: no you can't have a menu, sorry, I don't even remember what courses are on that menu today, and just go to our website and maybe you can piece it together. All that for a very large tip!

This is inexcusable. They get with this arrogance because folks put up with their shenanigans. You should have asked to talk to the manager; I would have.
Probably would have gotten the menu, yes. I just didn't think it worth that sort of fuss after such a great meal.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Oct 3, 2015 at 6:08 am Reason: Removing unclear commentary
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do have strong opinions on the differences between service in the USA versus Europe, but my complaining is never going to change the entrenched culture
You are painting with a very broad brush.

I can recommend any number of restaurants in the greater Los Angeles area (and elsewhere in the US) that serve food as good or better than Nobu's and where the service is impeccable. I can also recount more than a handful encounters at expensive restaurants in Europe where the service was mediocre at best.

The way that you were treated when you called for the reservation should have served as a warning. There are also several posts in this thread critical of the wait staff at Nobu Malibu. I'm glad that you enjoyed the food, though.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 3:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Quality of food is most important for me. If the meal is outstanding, I'm okay dealing with bad service, although ideally both would be great for the kind of money you're spending.

Did you get to sit outside by the ocean? Do you have the option?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Craig6z
This guide just came out a few weeks ago. Jonathan Gold is the LA Times main food critic, and in my view might be the best in America. He's down-to-earth, and won a Pulitzer Prize while reviewing for LA Weekly:

http://ballots.latimes.com/lists/101...han-gold-2013/
I just realized that no one posted a link to the most recent edition of Gold's list of the best 101 restaurants in the Los Angeles area.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For the opposite Malibu experience, try Geoffreys.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:12 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Restaurant suggestions for Long Beach or Huntington Beach

Are there any suggestions out there for some good food in Long Beach or Huntington Beach? We won't have a car so not too far out of town. View of something?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mphall
Are there any suggestions out there for some good food in Long Beach or Huntington Beach? We won't have a car so not too far out of town. View of something?
Without a car, Long Beach isn't really near Huntington Beach. Where will you be staying?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
We are staying at the Rennaissance Long Beach.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:37 pm

It's been years since I've dined in Long Beach, however, these are the best restaurants there according to Zagat:
Michael's on Naples Ristorante
Food 27 | Decor 25 | Service 26
$$$ · Italian
With "superb", "locally sourced" Northern Italian fare, an "exceptional", "deep" yet "not-overpriced" wine list and a "fabulous" staff that "makes everyone feel like a VIP", everything "comes together" at this "truly fine-dining" "gem" in Long Beach; a crackling fireplace adds a "warm" touch to the "elegant" dining room, but those in the know head to the "lovely rooftop bar" for live music and "romantic" dinners under the stars.

Chianina Steakhouse
Food 27 | Decor 26 | Service 26
$$$ · Steak
Transporting "aficionados, foodies and the rest of us" who "can't make it to Tuscany" are "terrific" cuts from a Northern Italian cattle breed, the "unique product" of this "superb" (if "pricey") Long Beach steakhouse from the team behind Michael’s on Naples and Michael’s Pizzeria; "impressive craft cocktails" shaken by "knowledgeable" bartenders in a "comfortable", polished setting add to a "special-occasion" experience that "exceeds expectations."

Michael's Pizzeria (5616 E 2nd St)
Food 25 | Decor 21 | Service 23
$$ · Pizza
"Locally world famous", this "favorite" Long Beach pizzeria pair gets props from the 'hood for "outstanding" "wood-fired" Neapolitan pies topped with the "freshest" "gourmet" ingredients in "unusual combinations"; moreover, the "reasonable" tabs are "money well spent", the atmosphere is "crisp", "contemporary" and "comfortable" enough, and "watching the pizzas being made" by the "engaging" staff is always "a hoot."

Michael's Pizzeria (210 E 3rd St)
$$ · Pizza
"Locally world famous", this "favorite" Long Beach pizzeria pair gets props from the 'hood for "outstanding" "wood-fired" Neapolitan pies topped with the "freshest" "gourmet" ingredients in "unusual combinations"; moreover, the "reasonable" tabs are "money well spent", the atmosphere is "crisp", "contemporary" and "comfortable" enough, and "watching the pizzas being made" by the "engaging" staff is always "a hoot."

La Parolaccia Osteria Italiana
Food 25 | Decor 22 | Service 25
$$ · Italian
"Everything is cooked properly, the Italian way" at these "authentic" amici in Claremont and Long Beach proffering "genuine" wood-fired Neapolitan pizzas, "lovely pastas" and other "superb" specialties "your grandmother would cook"; they're "comfortable", "fair"-priced "neighborhood joints" where "you can practice your Italian" with the "friendly" staff — in sum, perfetto for a "casual" night out.

L'Opera Italian Restaurant
Food 25 | Decor 25 | Service 25
$$$ · Italian
True to its name, opera singers occasionally serenade well-heeled locals at this "grand" Italian "mainstay" in Long Beach as "knowledgeable" staffers serve up "superb pastas" and "tender" chops; yes, "the price is high", but for "special-occasion" "fine dining" or an "upscale" "date night" in a "gorgeous" "art deco" space, it's "the place."
Old Nov 30, 2015, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL
We always enjoy 555 East American Steakhouse.

http://www.555east.com/

Also - Sir Winston's on the Queen Mary.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Sky Room is really fun- the food is maybe not the best, but the views can't be beat.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to La Parolaccia and it's excellent. I haven't been to any of the others-- I'm way up in Pasadena and have friends in Long Beach who are regulars there. They sometimes will do a Nutella dessert pizza if you ask - it's not on the menu but they seem to always have the Nutella around. It's like an open face chocolate croissant.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TWA884
It's been years since I've dined in Long Beach, however, these are the best restaurants there according to Zagat:
[INDENT]Michael's on Naples Ristorante
Food 27 | Decor 25 | Service 26
$$$ · Italian
With "superb", "locally sourced" Northern Italian fare, an "exceptional", "deep" yet "not-overpriced" wine list and a "fabulous" staff that "makes everyone feel like a VIP", everything "comes together" at this "truly fine-dining" "gem" in Long Beach; a crackling fireplace adds a "warm" touch to the "elegant" dining room, but those in the know head to the "lovely rooftop bar" for live music and "romantic" dinners under the stars.

Michael's Pizzeria (5616 E 2nd St)
$$ · Pizza

Michael's Pizzeria (210 E 3rd St)
$$ · Pizza

Love these.

Of course, if you just want decent bar food, Tracy's Bar and Grill on Spring/Bellflower is really good too. Plenty of TV's as well.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
On the Promenade, just behind your hotel, there's also Beachwood BBQ. It's next door to Michael's Pizzeria. It's a BBQ place that is also a micro-brew. If it's warm, they'll open up the garage door-style wall and you can sit outside. Thai District is a new-ish restaurant and I like the food/service/atmosphere.

La Paraloccia is a great local Italian place that has a nice vibe. It's a couple of miles down the road in a more neighborhoody area. Similarly, At Last Cafe (http://www.atlastcafelb.com/) is great, but don't go without a reservation.

Across the water, there's the aforementioned Queen Mary places. Also, The Reef, which I think has declined in quality over the years, still has views to kill for. Fuego at the Maya Hotel has a great outdoor space with fantastic views of the Long Beach waterfront.

I'd recommend avoiding the national chain/tourist/convention places that are in downtown, such as Hooters, Rock Bottom Brewery, PF Changes, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.