Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Also an update for my latest refund booked via Interpark Tour in Korea. I simply cancelled my reservation on their website on 3/31 afternoon. I received the refund text from my card company TODAY. So just 48 hours! SHOCKED.
Old Apr 2, 2020, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Also an update for my latest refund booked via Interpark Tour in Korea. I simply cancelled my reservation on their website on 3/31 afternoon. I received the refund text from my card company TODAY. So just 48 hours! SHOCKED.
It seems online website refund goes faster? That almost jives with my online refund request (flights were cancelled already).

It's been a week now, I think, and my phone refund request for award tickets still hasn't re-deposited the miles. I'd hoped when they said 6-8 weeks for refund, they meant the taxes I paid, not the miles re-deposit.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 8:11 am

Got my refund today! Took about 5 weeks total.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:27 pm
siw

Programs: AF-KL Flying Blue Platinum, ALL Platinum
You're overthinking this. They will allow you to refund. You have a restriction that is affecting your flight. That's it. It's very simple. Korean Air doesn't give vouchers. It's either refund or change the date.

You can only refund it through the channel which you booked it.

As a reference:

I am an American living in Korea. The US has no ban on Korea yet. There is no "self quarantine or anything like that in America as of now. In Korea, they require all incoming residents to quarantine at home. Technically, this means I am allowed in both countries. HOWEVER they gave me a full refund. You are absolutely 100% banned from entering the Philippines, of course they'll give you a refund.
I booked directly at the KE website for a LHR-MNL via ICN ticket. Checking Philippines at the KE webpage (https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...SA_detail.html) only states Cebu entry restriction. Will KE follow the IATA website (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm) which says Philippines has banned people under the visa waiver agreements? This would have been me as a UK citizen going as tourist for 9 days. I guess the only way is to telephone KE on Monday and find out what they say, but I am not hopeful after my LH, KL and FD issues.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by siw
I booked directly at the KE website for a LHR-MNL via ICN ticket. Checking Philippines at the KE webpage (https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...SA_detail.html) only states Cebu entry restriction. Will KE follow the IATA website (https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm) which says Philippines has banned people under the visa waiver agreements? This would have been me as a UK citizen going as tourist for 9 days. I guess the only way is to telephone KE on Monday and find out what they say, but I am not hopeful after my LH, KL and FD issues.
Again you are still overthinking this. At the top of that same KE page, it links to full IATA guidelines that they follow. Also, on the Korean Air page they have divided into two sections. Cebu is itws own entry restriction on the left. The other column is for ALL entry procedures. And it says no visa waiver entry. As I said before. Also, if you check IATA it says the same thing.

You do not need to call Korean Air. You can cancel directly on the website for free and full refund. This is what they want you to do.
Old Apr 4, 2020, 1:06 am
siw

Again you are still overthinking this. At the top of that same KE page, it links to full IATA guidelines that they follow. Also, on the Korean Air page they have divided into two sections. Cebu is itws own entry restriction on the left. The other column is for ALL entry procedures. And it says no visa waiver entry. As I said before. Also, if you check IATA it says the same thing.

You do not need to call Korean Air. You can cancel directly on the website for free and full refund. This is what they want you to do.
[MENTION=321968]mikesaidyes[/MENTION], thanks for you help.

Maybe I am over thinking this but KE is the fourth airline I am having to deal with to get a refund and I've gotten nowhere with the other three: KL, LH and FD.

I shall try the refund directly on the KE website (https://www.koreanair.com/global/en.html). I'm not wanting to be a nuisance but where exactly do I process a refund online? I've logged into My Trips with my booking code, I can see the refund option but I am not a SkyPass member which limits what I can do on the website: e.g. change seat selection. If I call KE on the UK telephone number 0800-413-000 it rings for about 30 seconds and then disconnects.

Last edited by siw; Apr 4, 2020 at 1:19 am
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by siw
[MENTION=321968]mikesaidyes[/MENTION], thanks for you help.

Maybe I am over thinking this but KE is the fourth airline I am having to deal with to get a refund and I've gotten nowhere with the other three: KL, LH and FD.

I shall try the refund directly on the KE website (https://www.koreanair.com/global/en.html). I'm not wanting to be a nuisance but where exactly do I process a refund online? I've logged into My Trips with my booking code, I can see the refund option but I am not a SkyPass member which limits what I can do on the website: e.g. change seat selection. If I call KE on the UK telephone number 0800-413-000 it rings for about 30 seconds and then disconnects.
Cancel it through the website first. That's what they want you to do because that's how you bought it. The system will process it for full refund. Just because other airlines aren't helpful....can't base KE on them. I find KE actually very generous overall with refunds and things anyway in normal times.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 3:57 am
siw

Cancel it through the website first. That's what they want you to do because that's how you bought it. The system will process it for full refund. Just because other airlines aren't helpful....can't base KE on them. I find KE actually very generous overall with refunds and things anyway in normal times.
I cannot process in the website because it requires a SkyPass account number. I do not have a KE FFP account. I have found from previous online bookings that it is not even possible to change seat selections unless you have a SkyPass membership number. It appears the KE website is very limited to non-SkyPass memebers.

Unless you know otherwise how to access the refund ability.

Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by siw
I cannot process in the website because it requires a SkyPass account number. I do not have a KE FFP account. I have found from previous online bookings that it is not even possible to change seat selections unless you have a SkyPass membership number. It appears the KE website is very limited to non-SkyPass memebers.

Unless you know otherwise how to access the refund ability.

Create a Skypass account. Then add your reservation to it. And you will have ability to cancel through there. Well, you should have access after that.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:02 am
siw

Create a Skypass account. Then add your reservation to it. And you will have ability to cancel through there. Well, you should have access after that.
I already have my Air France Flying Blue account linked to the booking so that I earn Flying Blue Miles and XP. If I create SkyPass account and link that to the booking then it will break the link to my FB account. I want this, and all SkyTeam, flights to go to by Flying Blue account because I have FB Platinum (SkyTeam Elite Plus) status.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 7:13 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
You can switch back and forth. I use DL for earnings, but usually associate my KE account until just before departure so that I can manage the ticket online
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:22 am
siw

Originally Posted by angra
You can switch back and forth. I use DL for earnings, but usually associate my KE account until just before departure so that I can manage the ticket online
I did not know that was possible. I assumed that once a FFP was assigned to a ticket then it is very difficult, or impossible, to change it - at least for free. We know the airlines charge passengers for every minor change, e.g. correction to a passenger name.

This morning I have notification emails from KE as they have changed the dates of the flights. Of course I still cannot enter the Philippines with the current restrictions.

However, I am wondering if it is better to hope that KE cancels the flights. Rather than me try to refund now.

Last edited by siw; Apr 7, 2020 at 12:29 am
Old Apr 7, 2020, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by siw
I already have my Air France Flying Blue account linked to the booking so that I earn Flying Blue Miles and XP. If I create SkyPass account and link that to the booking then it will break the link to my FB account. I want this, and all SkyTeam, flights to go to by Flying Blue account because I have FB Platinum (SkyTeam Elite Plus) status.
But you are cancelling the reservation for a refund - that should not matter at all.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:52 am
siw

But you are cancelling the reservation for a refund - that should not matter at all.
In the end I have telephoned KE and was offered a refund (minus a £260 refund charge). I would usually complain about the refund charge because it is the airline, and not me, who has changed the conditions of the ticket and start an AMEX dispute. But it's now too stressful dealing with so many airlines and hotels for trips that have now been cancelled that I cannot add KE to the list of disputes.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by siw
In the end I have telephoned KE and was offered a refund (minus a £260 refund charge). I would usually complain about the refund charge because it is the airline, and not me, who has changed the conditions of the ticket and start an AMEX dispute. But it's now too stressful dealing with so many airlines and hotels for trips that have now been cancelled that I cannot add KE to the list of disputes.
What was their reason for 260 GBP refund charge? What class was the ticket? You are not allowed to enter the Philippines, so your ticket should be refunded free of any charge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.