COVID-19 cancellation policy

Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:37 am

I have ZRH-ICN-KUL coming up on n a few weeks. Last week KE cancelled ICN-KUL and moved me to ICN-KUL next day with a 24 layover. Obviously it's not acceptable and I wanted to cancel the trip anyway.

I assume should be able to get full refund, but I have been unable to reach KE . Ticket booked through Expedia also was unable to reach KE due to long hold times, but they are still trying.

Would it make sense to call Amex and put dispute on the charge? I just do not want to spend more time trying to cancel ticket if KE is not picking up the phone.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by AntonS
I have ZRH-ICN-KUL coming up on n a few weeks. Last week KE cancelled ICN-KUL and moved me to ICN-KUL next day with a 24 layover. Obviously it's not acceptable and I wanted to cancel the trip anyway.

I assume should be able to get full refund, but I have been unable to reach KE . Ticket booked through Expedia also was unable to reach KE due to long hold times, but they are still trying.

Would it make sense to call Amex and put dispute on the charge? I just do not want to spend more time trying to cancel ticket if KE is not picking up the phone.
Any time a flight is cancelled (for any reason) you have the right to a refund. You may wish to email KE ([email protected]) requesting the refund. Also, can you pull up your reservation online and cancel through there (Log-in - My Trips - Cancel Reservation/Refund)?

Since your flight is in a few weeks, one of these may be your best bet.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott-Gold, Hilton-Diamond
Tried to cancel and refund a trip I had to Thailand (through Seoul) in March. After spending the last 3 days getting a 1990's style busy-signal, and their webchat function being inoperable, I finally reached someone via chat who firmly told me "Your flight and our airline is business as usual. There are no cancellations or refunds allowed." I was however offered the opportunity to rebook in the next few weeks. I politely told the rep to stick it and that I'd wait to cancel until they announced a more formal set of travel restrictions. The next time I call and cannot get through to anyone, I'm seriously considering just pursuing a chargeback via Chase and let them deal with it.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, National Exec, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by badgerchemist
Tried to cancel and refund a trip I had to Thailand (through Seoul) in March. After spending the last 3 days getting a 1990's style busy-signal, and their webchat function being inoperable, I finally reached someone via chat who firmly told me "Your flight and our airline is business as usual. There are no cancellations or refunds allowed." I was however offered the opportunity to rebook in the next few weeks. I politely told the rep to stick it and that I'd wait to cancel until they announced a more formal set of travel restrictions. The next time I call and cannot get through to anyone, I'm seriously considering just pursuing a chargeback via Chase and let them deal with it.
I've had the line busy signal with the US number, but it goes through without any issues when dialing the Korea number. Both numbers route you to the same automated system.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by EricUSC
I've had the line busy signal with the US number, but it goes through without any issues when dialing the Korea number. Both numbers route you to the same automated system.

thats good to know-thanks for the info! Im just gonna wait a week until the new gov travel restrictions go into effect and see if they change their tune.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by danpeake
Any time a flight is cancelled (for any reason) you have the right to a refund. You may wish to email KE ([email protected]) requesting the refund. Also, can you pull up your reservation online and cancel through there (Log-in - My Trips - Cancel Reservation/Refund)?

Since your flight is in a few weeks, one of these may be your best bet.
If the ticket was booked through Expedia, Korean Air cannot process the refund. The poster is at the mercy of Expedia.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:47 pm

This ticket was booked through Expedia or directly from KE website? If booked through Expedia, KE cannot process the refund at all - you're stuck waiting for Expedia's response and following their rules, unfortunately.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by badgerchemist
Unfortunately many people are stuck in this situation - as long as there are no outright entry restrictions for your countries (Korea and Thailand), there will be no "penalty free" cancellations/refunds. However, they do offer a rebooking/change of dates for free as you said. Many, many, many people are stuck in your position.

Myself included. Osaka weekend trip booked 3/13-3/15 and USA trip booked 4/23-5/8. I can change the date - but then that just means i push it into summer and the fare difference goes UP! Just have to wait it out and see if there's any ban OR just take the trip. I'm opting to just take the trip.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
Unfortunately many people are stuck in this situation - as long as there are no outright entry restrictions for your countries (Korea and Thailand), there will be no "penalty free" cancellations/refunds. However, they do offer a rebooking/change of dates for free as you said. Many, many, many people are stuck in your position.

Myself included. Osaka weekend trip booked 3/13-3/15 and USA trip booked 4/23-5/8. I can change the date - but then that just means i push it into summer and the fare difference goes UP! Just have to wait it out and see if there's any ban OR just take the trip. I'm opting to just take the trip.

ya-Im sure that many people are in this position. I was irate though at how flippantly the CS rep acted and called it business as usual. Whether you offer fee-free refunds or not, its most certainly not business as usual.
Old Mar 1, 2020, 2:23 pm

A lot of reductions and cancellations were posted by KE today.

IAD reduced beginning 4/4. SFO and HNL suspended some days, etc.

Full changes here: https://www.koreanair.com/content/da..._0301_1645.pdf
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:12 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M

Expedia does not normally cancel without confirming the refund amount in advance, but they will do it if you are very explicit that you want it cancelled and understand that Expedia can not guarantee what KE will refund or credit.

Be very clear, ask for email confirmation that it was cancelled.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:26 am

Waiver was updated to allow waiver of refund penalty if your home country bars entry into the country you're flying to or through: https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...20_01_WUH.html

("Waiver for refund penalty" was added before "Permission of date/itinerary changes.")
Old Mar 3, 2020, 6:26 am

Boom! ORD --> ICN on 3/14 cancelled after their flippant "Business as Usual" response. Cancelling as soon as I can get through to them. Good luck to everyone else here in the same unfortunate circumstances.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:28 am
NGX

Korean Air updated the list of cancelled flights including New York and Los Angeles.

https://www.koreanair.com/content/da...%20-%20ENG.pdf
Old Mar 3, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Does "3/W(Wed,Fri,Sun)Decreased" mean that the Wednesday Friday and Sunday flights have been cancelled or that the schedule is decreased to only those days?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.