Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 cancellation policy

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2020 | 11:26 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

COVID-19 cancellation policy

We have tickets in April to Shanghai. The other half of the trip has already been scuttled by multiple COVID-19 related actions but so far Korean has only cancelled flights through the end of March. The website says it also includes countries with travel restrictions--which the US does at present, but the tickets are in April, not now. Would we be eligible for a free cancellation?
Old Feb 23, 2020 | 11:08 am
15 Years on Site

KE does not waive any fee except those specifically mentioned cases. I would wait another few weeks to see if the cancellation window expands to your travel dates, which is likely given the situation.

Check if KE cancelled your flight. KE cancelled 2 out of 3 flights to PVG until 4/25.
Old Feb 23, 2020 | 12:52 pm
15 Years on Site

U can call or chat with KE and ask about it.
Korea virus danger level just got raised to Red which is its highest level

Chances are, KE will let u cancel for free.
Old Feb 23, 2020 | 1:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
i would be surprised if KE permits its staff to grant fee-free cancellations outside its published policy. Here is the current policy. I would keep checking it. It is likely that if the COVID-19 issues continue or expand that the dates covering the policy will be expanded. But, until then, don't expect much.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...20_01_WUH.html
Old Feb 23, 2020 | 9:05 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited10 Years on Site

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
i would be surprised if KE permits its staff to grant fee-free cancellations outside its published policy. Here is the current policy. I would keep checking it. It is likely that if the COVID-19 issues continue or expand that the dates covering the policy will be expanded. But, until then, don't expect much.

https://www.koreanair.com/global/en/...20_01_WUH.html
Looks like the waiver is up to 4/25 now so OP might qualify:
1. Routes : flights traveling to/from China (including Hong Kong/Taipei)
2. Travel Date : Jan 20 ~ Apr 25, Issued before Jan 28
Old Feb 23, 2020 | 10:11 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Looks like the waiver is up to 4/25 now so OP might qualify:
1. Routes : flights traveling to/from China (including Hong Kong/Taipei)
2. Travel Date : Jan 20 ~ Apr 25, Issued before Jan 28
That includes our outbound ticket but not the return.
Old Feb 24, 2020 | 7:52 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
The rules are very specific and always changing. We cannot tell what Korean Air will do exactly - you must call them and ask.
Old Feb 24, 2020 | 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
40 Countries Visited60 Nights5M15 Years on Site

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Do you have two OW or one RT (per person) tickets?
Old Feb 25, 2020 | 4:34 am

Programs: Skymiles Diamond Member/Million Miler, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum
Question about cancellation fee due to coronavirus

Good morning FTers! I am a frequent traveler and have dealt with travel issues before but am having an issue with Korean Air and wanted to get some advice. I have a flight going through Seoul and Korean does not want to waive the $100 cancellation fee even though their government has made it a red alert to travel through Korea and our CDC has told Americans to not travel to/through Korea. I have called, spoken with a supervisor, emailed, sent messages on their social media, and nothing. I thought about disputing with my credit card and emailing their executives, but trying to see if anyone else has any ideas. I know that they are busy, but I've been trying to reach out for over 24 hours since my flight is coming up in a few days and need to get it resolved soon.

Thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Feb 25, 2020 | 5:00 am

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
I wouldnt expect them or ANY airline to budge unless there is a flat out cancellation of service or a government ban (which this CDC warning is not). It sucks, but of course theyre gonna try to make their money.

I myself have a weekend trip to Japan booked for March 13-15 and it looks like Im just gonna go because the ticket was 213,0000W and the cancel fee now would be 120,000W. And I mean sitting in Korea isnt exactly any safer.
Old Feb 25, 2020 | 9:37 am
15 Years on Site

The CDC warning just came out yesterday I believe (2/24). It may take a day or two to update their policy.

It wouldn't (shouldn't!) take an outright ban for airlines to offer refunds/rebookings. United is offering a waiver for Hong Kong and they're only at Level 1 - practice usual precautions. (Japan was just raised to Level 2 - practice enhanced precautions - and there's not a United waiver for there.)

Last edited by danpeake; Feb 25, 2020 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 25, 2020 | 9:42 am
15 Years on Site

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
If it's a roundtrip ticket they'll definitely let you cancel the whole thing if only one leg applies. If it's two one-ways, you may wish to wait and see or call and ask them specifically about your case.
Old Feb 25, 2020 | 9:21 pm
Original Poster
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have two OW or one RT (per person) tickets?
Round trip. Hopefully the fact that the outbound lies in the cancel period is enough.
Old Feb 28, 2020 | 6:26 am
15 Years on Site

New waiver was added today. It seems to cover North America to/from/through South Korea.

Tickets must have been issued prior to 2/25 for travel up to 6/30.

Change fee and fare difference will be waived for flights rescheduled through 5/31. Change fee only will be waived for flights rescheduled for June (must pay fare difference).

It seems there is no refund being offered at this time.

Old Feb 28, 2020 | 6:50 am

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Also "Ticket must be completely unused" - no relief for those of us mid-itinerary it seems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.