COVID-19 cancellation policy

Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by angra
Does "3/W(Wed,Fri,Sun)Decreased" mean that the Wednesday Friday and Sunday flights have been cancelled or that the schedule is decreased to only those days?
Schedule is decreased to only those days.

I know, I found it confusing also.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by NGX
Korean Air updated the list of cancelled flights including New York and Los Angeles.

https://www.koreanair.com/content/da...%20-%20ENG.pdf
Those are markets where they run more than one flight per day so makes sense. Only one of the frequencies is being cancelled to each city.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I have a an affected flight scheduled for a Tuesday during the listed time period. Have this round of cancellations gone through for people? The flights are still showing up for me on my trips.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 5:48 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
I just spent 2 hours on the phone, had 4 separate tickets that were all affected by this, lady proactively offered to rebook me on other airlines thus avoiding East Asia as a whole. Some of my flights aren’t even on ST airlines like QF and AA. Has anyone had any chance asking for Original Routing Credit with KE ? I’ve looked around but haven’t found anything. Would be nice if I could also get miles out of this.
I’ve found KE to be pretty good when it comes to rebooking as long as you give a few hints when it comes to potential routings. A no flights available from SIN to CDG quickly became a SIN-AMS-CDG on GA with a little help a couple of years ago...
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:18 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by Digicola
I just spent 2 hours on the phone, had 4 separate tickets that were all affected by this, lady proactively offered to rebook me on other airlines thus avoiding East Asia as a whole. Some of my flights arent even on ST airlines like QF and AA. Has anyone had any chance asking for Original Routing Credit with KE ? Ive looked around but havent found anything. Would be nice if I could also get miles out of this.
Ive found KE to be pretty good when it comes to rebooking as long as you give a few hints when it comes to potential routings. A no flights available from SIN to CDG quickly became a SIN-AMS-CDG on GA with a little help a couple of years ago...
Personally, I would expect miles but I wouldn't even approach them with this right now haha. Have to fly it first and see "what shakes out." Too much chaos on the customer service center phones. Try emailing skypassdesk or calling a random ticket office instead if you prefer.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 7:25 pm

The "good" news? Better chance for an upgrade on my ATL flight. My flight on 4/23 is still going - but with all the other days - even the KE site says on both days I fly ICN-ATL-ICN that there are NO seats left. Never seen that before. "Silver lining!"

My Osaka flight however - they cancelled GMP-KIX, bumped me to 9a ICN, cancelled that, now I'm on 11a ICN.

I can only imagine the chaos at that call center.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:40 am

I just spent 2 hours on the phone, had 4 separate tickets that were all affected by this, lady proactively offered to rebook me on other airlines thus avoiding East Asia as a whole. Some of my flights arent even on ST airlines like QF and AA. Has anyone had any chance asking for Original Routing Credit with KE ? Ive looked around but havent found anything. Would be nice if I could also get miles out of this.
Ive found KE to be pretty good when it comes to rebooking as long as you give a few hints when it comes to potential routings. A no flights available from SIN to CDG quickly became a SIN-AMS-CDG on GA with a little help a couple of years ago...
How did you get through? The USA number is always busy and the korean number for english just leads to a busy signal.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum Ultimate, VA Velocity Platinum, ALL Platinum
Just cycle through the european numbers until you get someone. I had to wait maybe 30 mins to get on the line.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
I now am under "scenario 1" as I have ATL-ICN-SIN in early April in J. In addition the ICN-SIN flight has been cancelled.

Looking at the waiver policy, it looks like my options are refund or make a change with fare-difference collection. In you guys' experience, does the cancellation of the flight help with getting a waiver on fare-difference collection? My ticket was a great sale, and every date I looked at for rescheduling in the fall incurred a $7k+ fare change (looked via Expedia, who was my purchase OTA).
Old Mar 4, 2020, 2:17 pm

Were these paid tickets or award bookings?

i only ask as we have a one way award booking from MLE to ICN to ORD coming up but are worried about what happens if KE cancels the flight, not to mention that as if today, partner has to self quarantine if we fly though South Korea, for 14 days, as mandated by employer.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:35 am

Japan just issued a 14 day self quarantine for all foreigners coming from Korea or China. That would include Koreans. Only a matter of time before they presumably cancel all their Japan flights from 3/9.

I tried to call and cancel by korean number tonight (9p Korea time) - waited an hour and gave up. I cant cancel in my booking as they ask me to do bc the original flights were cancelled...

Gonna wait for the flight to be cancelled automatically or just go to the COEX ticket office near my apt
danpeake likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:38 pm

REFUND UPDATE EXPERIENCE (IN KOREA):

Japan also now has a ban for foreigners coming through Korea or China - 14 day self imposed quarantine. No flights have been cancelled yet, but I have no work now (thanks Coronavirus for cancelling all my classes)....so I decided to visit the ticketing center at COEX. It's just maybe 3 subway stops from my house near Gangnam Station. There were 17 people in line in front of me, but they moved FAST. The ticketing center (which is not something you would ever see/do in the US) - was clean, free coffee, notepads, pens, cookies, hand sanitizer. The agent was SUPER friendly and said "thank you for doing a refund, it's so much easier for me." The center was FULLLLLLLLLL of old people who couldn't quite get what was going on. The woman had to explain 25 times about a man's flight to Japan and the schedule was always changing, but he still wouldn't cancel. The old lady next to me was trying to get to Brisbane but didn't quite realize they banned Koreans for now, too.

Of course, because of the laws "self imposed quarantine for 14 days in Japan" and my trip being just 3, they obviously refunded me without fee. Their wording is "Anyone affected by a travel ban" which would include this self quarantine.

Sadly, I'm expecting something to happen to my American flight. However, that one I booked through a Korean online agency so I'm gonna have to go through them - but I know once a ban is announced it should be ok.

Good luck everyone!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 11:48 pm

Programs: KL-PEFL
Stuck in Australia. All flights suspended till 25 April.

Back to Botany Bay!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
REFUND UPDATE EXPERIENCE (IN KOREA):

Japan also now has a ban for foreigners coming through Korea or China - 14 day self imposed quarantine. No flights have been cancelled yet, but I have no work now (thanks Coronavirus for cancelling all my classes)....so I decided to visit the ticketing center at COEX. It's just maybe 3 subway stops from my house near Gangnam Station. There were 17 people in line in front of me, but they moved FAST. The ticketing center (which is not something you would ever see/do in the US) - was clean, free coffee, notepads, pens, cookies, hand sanitizer. The agent was SUPER friendly and said "thank you for doing a refund, it's so much easier for me." The center was FULLLLLLLLLL of old people who couldn't quite get what was going on. The woman had to explain 25 times about a man's flight to Japan and the schedule was always changing, but he still wouldn't cancel. The old lady next to me was trying to get to Brisbane but didn't quite realize they banned Koreans for now, too.

Of course, because of the laws "self imposed quarantine for 14 days in Japan" and my trip being just 3, they obviously refunded me without fee. Their wording is "Anyone affected by a travel ban" which would include this self quarantine.

Sadly, I'm expecting something to happen to my American flight. However, that one I booked through a Korean online agency so I'm gonna have to go through them - but I know once a ban is announced it should be ok.

Good luck everyone!
Glad to hear this worked out.

So, I assume anyone transiting Korea on the way to Japan should be able to call in and get a refund under the "travel ban" part of the waiver? I'm flying USA-ICN-NRT so need to go do this this weekend. There's no ticket office near me of course so I'm stuck waiting on hold.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake
Glad to hear this worked out.

So, I assume anyone transiting Korea on the way to Japan should be able to call in and get a refund under the "travel ban" part of the waiver? I'm flying USA-ICN-NRT so need to go do this this weekend. There's no ticket office near me of course so I'm stuck waiting on hold.
Correct! The english says "entry restrictions" which is vague, but the Korean uses tso specific verbs 금지 ban and 제한 limited (restricted). So yes, this Japan quarantine covers it.

HOWEVER - your flight may be automatically cancelled. Even after I went to the service center, the flight I had was later cancelled automatically in the system and showed in the updated file. So I'd wait a bit if you are comfortable with that - you might not actually have to do anything.

Also - the notices say you can get a "free" refund on your flight in the app/website yourself, you don't have to call. I couldn't cancel mine in the app because my original flight was changed and it just said "contact a service center to make changes if you don't like the schedule" and it was stuck that way. Otherwise obviously would've used the app.
danpeake likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.