COVID-19 cancellation policy

Old Mar 7, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

My experience:

I had gotten what I thought was one of those minor schedule change notices. Then I got to puzzling, our flight is cancelled, how is it still scheduled? Then we got another change notice because a flight frequency went down--leaving is with a stopover at Inchon of over a day. Then I finally figure out what they did--when out flight cancelled they rebooked us out of LAX rather than LAS. What were they thinking?!?!

Tried to cancel in the evening of 3/5. The system kicked me off. Tried again on the morning of 3/6, it took an hour of dialing and then a hold message that repeated far too often but I finally got through. Cancelled without difficulty although they said to expect 2-4 weeks for the refund.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
A data point, I just got off the phone with KE. I have ATL-ICN-SIN scheduled in early April in paid J. ICN-SIN was cancelled, and I believe I should qualify for free date change under clause 1 of the March 6 COVID-19 policy. I requested change to September, but they said they would only do this with change of fare and change fee. So, there is some unpublished limit to the clause 1 policy, but I don't know what it is.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by AntonS
I have ZRH-ICN-KUL coming up on n a few weeks. Last week KE cancelled ICN-KUL and moved me to ICN-KUL next day with a 24 layover. Obviously it's not acceptable and I wanted to cancel the trip anyway.

I assume should be able to get full refund, but I have been unable to reach KE . Ticket booked through Expedia also was unable to reach KE due to long hold times, but they are still trying.

Would it make sense to call Amex and put dispute on the charge? I just do not want to spend more time trying to cancel ticket if KE is not picking up the phone.
Update. I was not able to get Expedia reach KE (received several emails from Expedia that they are still trying) and now it's a multi-hour hold with Expedia too. Since then, KE cancelled ZRH-ICN legs altogether and rebooked me on CDG-ICN without any option to get to CDG. What they are thinking about?

I got tired of this, called AMEX and they gladly accepted dispute and removed the charge (at least until investigation completes). Took 5 minutes. Should have done it earlier.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AntonS
Update. I was not able to get Expedia reach KE (received several emails from Expedia that they are still trying) and now it's a multi-hour hold with Expedia too. Since then, KE cancelled ZRH-ICN legs altogether and rebooked me on CDG-ICN without any option to get to CDG. What they are thinking about?
They did the same thing to me--changed LAS to LAX.

I got tired of this, called AMEX and they gladly accepted dispute and removed the charge (at least until investigation completes). Took 5 minutes. Should have done it earlier.
That burns bridges.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: KE Skypass Morning Calm Member, OZ Club
Originally Posted by angra
A data point, I just got off the phone with KE. I have ATL-ICN-SIN scheduled in early April in paid J. ICN-SIN was cancelled, and I believe I should qualify for free date change under clause 1 of the March 6 COVID-19 policy. I requested change to September, but they said they would only do this with change of fare and change fee. So, there is some unpublished limit to the clause 1 policy, but I don't know what it is.
The Korean Air website says • Anyone who has departed from/transited in or visited South Korea, China, Iran or northern Italy in the past 14 days is not permitted to enter/transit Singapore. (as of Mar 5)

[Exemptions] Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents or Long-term pass holders will be issued with a Stay-Home Notice

So if you are a US citizen - then you cannot enter. BUT if you are a Singaporean or resident with long term pass holder - "technically" you can enter, so they won't refund you.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:34 am

I've noticed that KE has zeroed out availability for 2 out of the 3 daily LAX-ICN flights in May (only KE12 is available), although they have not officially cancelled those flights. Does this mean they're going to cancel the flight eventually?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by erniekoh
I've noticed that KE has zeroed out availability for 2 out of the 3 daily LAX-ICN flights in May (only KE12 is available), although they have not officially cancelled those flights. Does this mean they're going to cancel the flight eventually?
Honestly, it's such a mess that no one can accurately guess. Their website only lists confirmed schedule changes through April 25 for now. My guess is that if they do something, you won't know until some time in April. They don't wanna cancel things too early if things get better.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 3:32 am

Hi, I understand that everything is all messed up right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what's going to happen to us in our situation. I've tried getting through to Korean Air with no such luck so far. So we flew Korean to Cebu from Toronto at the beginning of March. I just learned today that as of March 28 the ICN-YYZ route is cancelled. So they automatically put us on a flight to YVR on April 4 as our original April 3 ICN-YYZ is no more. CEB-ICN only operates every second day now, which operates on April 3 still. So we will have a more than 24 hour layover in ICN, and will be dropped in Vancouver 5000km from home? Any ideas how you think this will play out?
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfly
Hi, I understand that everything is all messed up right now, but I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what's going to happen to us in our situation. I've tried getting through to Korean Air with no such luck so far. So we flew Korean to Cebu from Toronto at the beginning of March. I just learned today that as of March 28 the ICN-YYZ route is cancelled. So they automatically put us on a flight to YVR on April 4 as our original April 3 ICN-YYZ is no more. CEB-ICN only operates every second day now, which operates on April 3 still. So we will have a more than 24 hour layover in ICN, and will be dropped in Vancouver 5000km from home? Any ideas how you think this will play out?
No, no one knows how it will play out.

You need to call Korean and ask them to rebook you. Give that they cancelled your flight, insist that they put you on a different carrier if they need to.

Try the different numbers on this website and you should be able to get through eventually (they all have English options). I've found wait times are 30-60 mins once you get in the queue.

And welcome to FlyerTalk.

Last edited by danpeake; Mar 10, 2020 at 9:19 am
Old Mar 10, 2020, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ryanfly
For that large of a schedule change - you should be able to cancel for completely free. That being said, there might not be any other option available as no one is really flying anywhere.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 9:08 am

It seems KE hasn't extended the waiver to either paid tickets (prior to March 1, 2020) or Award Ticket cancellations yet, correct?
I had award tickets booked in May of 2020 from CMB to ORD via ICN and then had to buy paid tickets in December 2019 for MLE to CMB. Unfortunately had to cancel our Maldives trip due to coronavirus (they are quarantining various island resorts due to colds, etc.) as our insurance won't cover quarantines and missed flights, etc.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by hurnik
It seems KE hasn't extended the waiver to either paid tickets (prior to March 1, 2020) or Award Ticket cancellations yet, correct?
I had award tickets booked in May of 2020 from CMB to ORD via ICN and then had to buy paid tickets in December 2019 for MLE to CMB. Unfortunately had to cancel our Maldives trip due to coronavirus (they are quarantining various island resorts due to colds, etc.) as our insurance won't cover quarantines and missed flights, etc.
There is no rule about when you bought - it's for your travel dates. HOWEVER there is no suspension of this flight in May YET. It is only cancelled through March. So they won't do anything for free now. If and only when it is cancelled OR there is a restriction on entry, then it's a free cancellation. As of now, the original rules apply for refunds.

https://www.koreanair.com/content/da...%20-%20ENG.pdf
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:40 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Noticed a change in that some itineraries with cancelled flights can now be cancelled and refunded online on the website, directly from the itinerary -- but it requires you to enter your account password, which doesn't exist if the ticket wasn't booked through a Skypass account. Has anyone happened to use something else for the password for these "guest" bookings, in order to successfully cancel?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
Noticed a change in that some itineraries with cancelled flights can now be cancelled and refunded online on the website, directly from the itinerary -- but it requires you to enter your account password, which doesn't exist if the ticket wasn't booked through a Skypass account. Has anyone happened to use something else for the password for these "guest" bookings, in order to successfully cancel?
The system is OLD SCHOOL haha. Just make a Skypass account. Then you can add your reservation to it by the reservation number. And then have full access to cancel reservation.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by mikesaidyes
The system is OLD SCHOOL haha. Just make a Skypass account. Then you can add your reservation to it by the reservation number. And then have full access to cancel reservation.
Thanks for the suggestion! I tried that earlier, but it wouldn't let me add the reservation to my new Skypass account since it would default to the "Schedule Change" notification page and not let me view the actual reservation. Now I can't even click the "Cancellation/Refund" button on that page any more either, so back to the drawing board...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.