Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by johan rebel
A
Go for it. LHR is a third-world dump, but T5 is OK, and Club Europe is better than EB, although the food can be hit and miss.

Johan
I still have a sense of 'betraying' them if I do so, but with policy changes like these it becomes less relevant.

Last edited by JPMNLD; Feb 13, 2013 at 2:32 pm Reason: just felt like it..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Betrayal can really only occur in a relationship with mutual loyalty. Expecting loyalty from any corporation is a sign of naivety. Announcements like today's should underline that point.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:53 pm

Programs: Flying Blue LTPE, skywards Silver, miles & more, fidelidade TAM, Accor silver, IHG gold
I'm really disgust, shame on KLM, really from the best European airline to Ryanair.
Horrible, I really would like to scream!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
In light of this new luggage fiasco , does anyone else now feel a little worried about the other snippet of information in the press release where they say ".. in time paid lounge access.. " are they suggesting that they are taking free lounge access away from us Elite plus members ???

It just has an ominous ring to it ...
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:40 pm

Programs: SAS Gold, Etihad Gold Elite, FB Platinum, CX Marco Polo Gold, Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold
People ... let just avoid using KLM and AF , and see if they will back off .... Even IM a Platinum ... I will start avoiding KL and AF flights ... is just getting worst . Biggest mistakes ever that KLM join with AF ! I miss Flying Dutchman Program and the old KLM .
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by jackylek
People ... let just avoid using KLM and AF , and see if they will back off .... Even IM a Platinum ... I will start avoiding KL and AF flights ... is just getting worst . Biggest mistakes ever that KLM join with AF ! I miss Flying Dutchman Program and the old KLM .
I totally agree ... KLM joining AF was a MASSIVE mistake ... i was only the other day reading an old FD brochure , with all the great benefits we used to have , separate royal wing lounges .. lounge access irrespective of airline flown, 30KG luggage with no limit on pieces , better food and drink onboard, upgrading tickets much easier and more often.. the list goes on.

It brings a tear to my eye to look at how far we have fallen from the good old days ... ( I only refere to the 2000's ... I hear it really was much better back in the REAL old days ... )
Old Feb 13, 2013, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by jackylek
People ... let just avoid using KLM and AF , and see if they will back off ....
They won't. They can easily fill their aircraft with once-a-year flyers who don't care about the things that we are upset about.

And filling their aircraft with once-a-year flyers is going to be easier and cheaper for them than filling their aircraft with the likes of us. Once-a-year flyers, except for a few very savvy ones, won't go out and get FB cards... so they have to pay for their luggage. Once-a-year flyers don't get lounge access. If you have a plane full of once-a-year flyers you don't have to worry about enforcing priority boarding - which makes life so much easier for staff at the gate.

You know... I'm beginning to think it's all a deliberate ploy to make the Elites go away. Not just the luggage thing, but the Economy Comfort fiasco too. I bet they are deliberately filling EC seats with once-a-year flyers because they don't want the hassle and expense of dealing with those entitled to perks... so they're trying their hardest to make us go away.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Aviatrix
They won't. They can easily fill their aircraft with once-a-year flyers who don't care about the things that we are upset about.

And filling their aircraft with once-a-year flyers is going to be easier and cheaper for them than filling their aircraft with the likes of us. Once-a-year flyers, except for a few very savvy ones, won't go out and get FB cards... so they have to pay for their luggage. Once-a-year flyers don't get lounge access. If you have a plane full of once-a-year flyers you don't have to worry about enforcing priority boarding - which makes life so much easier for staff at the gate.

You know... I'm beginning to think it's all a deliberate ploy to make the Elites go away. Not just the luggage thing, but the Economy Comfort fiasco too. I bet they are deliberately filling EC seats with once-a-year flyers because they don't want the hassle and expense of dealing with those entitled to perks... so they're trying their hardest to make us go away.
Sure. But didn't they recently explain that Flying Blue Plat members spend so much more on their flights than the once-a-year flyer who will just go for the cheapest option that it's actually worth taking care of them or something like that?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:40 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Evert
How will KLM handle eventually this new policy for European flights already booked before this message, introduction of new pricing policy? Do people have to pay? I have some bookings (partner Ivory, myself Silver) and booked KLM based on service, price. I´m not happy at all if I have to pay for bags for excisting reservations.
If they make this policy for tickets booked before public announcement of the policy, it will be another example of the company being in violation of legal standards in some jurisdictions and be legally actionable. I expect KLM is not so stupid as to hit pre-existing ticket holders on something so obvious that would hit massive amounts of customers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by psollitt
In light of this new luggage fiasco , does anyone else now feel a little worried about the other snippet of information in the press release where they say ".. in time paid lounge access.. " are they suggesting that they are taking free lounge access away from us Elite plus members ???

It just has an ominous ring to it ...
A one-time or one-day lounge pass sale to non-ElitePlus customers may be the option, and it will probably lead to some further crowding of the lounges at peak times.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: SQ
KL is turning into DL!

As long as they keep serving those delicious sandwiches
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:02 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
If it wasn't so childish and pointless I'd start bringing a suitcase full of heavy stuff just because. But then again the only language corporations understand is that of money, and especially the money they don't get.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:27 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by JPMNLD
I still have a sense of 'betraying' them if I do so, but with policy changes like these it becomes less relevant.
I'd say it was more they who 'betrayed' you on this rather than the other way around. Given that, I'd certainly not have any issue jumping ship to BA (or anyone else).
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:36 am

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by mfkne
If it wasn't so childish and pointless I'd start bringing a suitcase full of heavy stuff just because. But then again the only language corporations understand is that of money, and especially the money they don't get.
I'd be tempted to get a suitcase that's the maximum allowable size. The overheads are often rammed now - but if they want to play silly buggers then fine, I'll bring everything I possibly can on-board.

"Yes, I would've checked this bag in but since you took my free second bag away I'm not going to."
Old Feb 14, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I seriously wouldn't like to be a KLM check-in agent from April 22 onwards!

If this is KLM's Valentines gift to their customers, I wonder what they're lining up for April 1 this year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.