Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: FB Gold
From the website..

"You can check in 1 suitcase for free, if:

* You are a Flying Blue member (Enrol now ... you’ll earn Miles too!). Flying Blue Elite members too will be able to bring 1 suitcase for free.
...."

That seems confusing - it implies all FB members, but then said FB Elites will be able to bring 1 case for free, so is it elites only?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by chrismoose
That seems confusing - it implies all FB members, but then said FB Elites will be able to bring 1 case for free, so is it elites only?
I've queried that above, and it's been answered - everyone gets 1 bag for free regardless of level (Ivory = Silver = Gold = Platinum).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I've queried that above, and it's been answered - everyone gets 1 bag for free regardless of level (Ivory = Silver = Gold = Platinum).
Maybe not quite so bad then (another reason to get Mrs.Chrismoose a FB card then!) although still one suitcase less as I lose my 2 bags as FB gold.

Still bad news IMHO.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Plat
Originally Posted by KLM Media services
Official press release:What’s more, passengers increasingly want to ‘customise’ their journeys. This can be achieved through paid options including seat choice, more legroom (Economy Comfort) and, in time, paid lounge access. Customers are free to choose.
I would like to hope that KLM has had some solid research done that customers truly want to "customise" their journeys and that they are willing to spend money on it... I can imagine how a behavioral economist would go wild with a research assignment from KLM
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrismoose
Still bad news IMHO.

I agree - they say it's a "decoupling" of the baggage price from the overall ticket price, but if this were really the case, then surely they would be able to decrease the price of ALL flights, or at least do something more than just increase the number of €99 destinations by such a small number (11).

I wish they would publish the list of 30 destinations that are now supposed to be available at this price level. LHR used to be one, but lately has not been - and doesn't seem to be available for €99 on dates after this change (22 April) so we still seemingly have a reduced set of €99 destinations compared to last year.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:08 am

Programs: AF/KL Plat, AA Plat, HH Diamond
Awful move on their part. 2 free bags for Elite(+) was definitely a big perk. Even DL gives Elite+ 2 bags. Plus I'm on the upgrade list, when I fly DL.
I think it's soon going to be bye-bye KLM for me.

Curious move when last year they were wondering how to differentiate Platinum from Gold. Now they'll have to find out how to differentiate Platinum from Ivory.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FT, HHonors Diamond
Is there some kind of coordination between KLM and Air France? I seriously doubt it except for the trend to Ryanairize the experience with them...
When KLM somewhat promotes Flying Blue with their new luggage policy (all FB members get one luggage free - after that, they forget to reward their most loyal customers with a second bag free), Air France suppresses both miles and free luggage from their MiNi price and turns its back on Flying Blue.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the mentions of Ryanair in this thread, I'd just like to point out that, nothwithstanding the fact that most tickets will now attract a checked luggage fee, comparisons with Ryanair are still somewhat ridiculous.

Flying Ryanair is a completely different experience to flying with KLM. KLM still has several layers of hell to descend through before we can compare them to FR!
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by petitaix
Is there some kind of coordination between KLM and Air France?
Yes - they are the two main airlines owned and operated by the holding company called Air France-KLM; they have a common Frequent Flying Program, called Flying Blue; and they (together with Delta and Alitalia) have negotiated anti-trust immunity to collaborate on pricing and scheduling of all of their combined transatlantic flights.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:23 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I agree - they say it's a "decoupling" of the baggage price from the overall ticket price, but if this were really the case, then surely they would be able to decrease the price of ALL flights, or at least do something more than just increase the number of €99 destinations by such a small number (11).

I wish they would publish the list of 30 destinations that are now supposed to be available at this price level. LHR used to be one, but lately has not been - and doesn't seem to be available for €99 on dates after this change (22 April) so we still seemingly have a reduced set of €99 destinations compared to last year.
Their Facebook team said the list is not public yet, so I assume they have not been loaded yet. Hopefully soon they will become clear..

My guess is that most leisure destinations in the 129 or 139 euro range will now become 99 euro. LHR is a special case, and I would not be surprised if they keep that at the current level I have been looking for the page that lists the lowest prices for European destinations (as to make a guess on which destinations will become cheaper), but I cant seem to find this on klm.com anymore..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: FB
Another advantage gone.
I could fly eg MAN BUD with LCC flight direct 2hr40min or KLM via AMS c.6hrs

Even using Miles + EUR, KLM was only cheaper because the 2 bags were free for Elites (and that's assuming you needed to take them)
Now even that slim advantage has gone.

where KLM are head to head with a LCC they never compete anyway. This is about squeezing revenue from the business model.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:27 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Their Facebook team said the list is not public yet, so I assume they have not been loaded yet. Hopefully soon they will become clear..

My guess is that most leisure destinations in the 129 or 139 euro range will now become 99 euro. LHR is a special case, and I would not be surprised if they keep that at the current level I have been looking for the page that lists the lowest prices for European destinations (as to make a guess on which destinations will become cheaper), but I cant seem to find this on klm.com anymore..
http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/plan...rope/index.htm ?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:28 am

With the mentions of Ryanair in this thread, I'd just like to point out that, nothwithstanding the fact that most tickets will now attract a checked luggage fee, comparisons with Ryanair are still somewhat ridiculous.

Flying Ryanair is a completely different experience to flying with KLM. KLM still has several layers of hell to descend through before we can compare them to FR!
I think it's paying for things by "add on" charges that pisses people off, and that's made much worse when the things in question used to be free.

FB Gold members have lost their economy comfort seats, and now a free bag. What next - lounge access? priority boarding (which will become essential when ever man and his dog is cramming their worldly possessions into the overheads).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:30 am

Programs: FB Plat, *A Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Sixt Plat
What to expect next?

These months I fly to the UK every week. Although I am plat and usually do not travel with more then 1 checked-in suitcase, these measure's make me think about to switching to BA. I also have Priority Pass, so I basically don't need my E+ for lounge access. Around May/ June, I will be doing some intercontinental flights in business, so I would assume that I will get status pretty fast with BA.
Should I start with this now?

Last edited by JPMNLD; Feb 13, 2013 at 7:38 am Reason: misspelling
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: FB
from their webpage:
You can check in one baggage item for a fee of EUR15 (one-way flight) by booking it before your arrival at the airport. The fare for checking-in baggage at the airport without booking in advance is EUR 30 (one-way flight)
so now they try the RYANAIR money-grabbing method of charging you double if you fail to book in advance.
There is no cost basis for this - just a good way to shake down a desperate customer:

So when a fare paying customer turns up for a flight with an extra bag... Help them?... No! Feel sorry for them?... No!
Why not see their misfortune as an opportunity to take money off them? Pioneered by Ryanair, copied by KLM.

"Pay up sir! your flight is leaving soon. You don't want to miss it do you?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.