Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KLM to charge check-in luggage for European flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by psollitt
The amount of negative feedback on the KLM Facebook page is quite amazing !
Quite so on Twitter between the calls for rebooking. Most notably several famous, and FB Platinum, DJs whose complaints were retweeted quite a number of times. Bad press just like yesterday.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
€€€€€ for checked-in bags

So much bad press for KLM over this even on a bad weather day !
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After the AF DO I feel like the management team has sought extra intuitive ways to annoy their Elite flyers. I can churn out ideals all day if they want to do that, and I'd happily accept 60% of what they pay management consultants for this crap. But everyone knows FB is crap, so why would it get any better? Seems like BA is absolutely MILES in front. With a Gold card I get 2x32kg in Eco otherwise +1 piece in other classes. Can barely fill my case to be that heavy. Lounge differentiation in place. Really great!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh boy, you just gotta love their communication skills.

Received some sort of generic "Change in Baggage Regulations" e-mail at 2 a.m. today. No "valued Platinum Elite member" stuff here, just information on the fabulous benefits of FB (such as checking in one bag for free) and an exhortation to become a member: "register here".

Gee thanks, KLM. I shall close my lifetime PE account forthwith and open a new Ivory one so that I can travel with one free checked bag. I truly appreciate your generosity!

Since I don't check any bags, this whole debacle only affects me indirectly in the sense that it will impact hand luggage policy and procedures. This makes me wonder how the new self-boarding machines will check for hand luggage policy compliance? I'm sure the whole purpose of these machines is to save money by reducing the number of agents at the gate to one. If that single agent is then supposed to check all hand luggage, enforce the rules and argue with pax, the only possible outcome is chaos and delays.

Johan
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:17 am

Programs: DL GM, SK EBG
Words can't describe what I think of this stupid idea, so here is a song instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPyl2tOaKxM
Old Feb 15, 2013, 1:45 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I'm Really Enjoying this.....

Having sworn off KLM last year I'm loving this thread. And feeling slightly smug.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 2:21 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by johan rebel
Oh boy, you just gotta love their communication skills.

Received some sort of generic "Change in Baggage Regulations" e-mail at 2 a.m. today. No "valued Platinum Elite member" stuff here, just information on the fabulous benefits of FB (such as checking in one bag for free) and an exhortation to become a member: "register here".

Gee thanks, KLM. I shall close my lifetime PE account forthwith and open a new Ivory one so that I can travel with one free checked bag. I truly appreciate your generosity!

Since I don't check any bags, this whole debacle only affects me indirectly in the sense that it will impact hand luggage policy and procedures. This makes me wonder how the new self-boarding machines will check for hand luggage policy compliance? I'm sure the whole purpose of these machines is to save money by reducing the number of agents at the gate to one. If that single agent is then supposed to check all hand luggage, enforce the rules and argue with pax, the only possible outcome is chaos and delays.

Johan
US airline-style boarding with cabin baggage placement problems are coming to a KL flight near you soon, with a lot more repeat problems than before.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't suppose any of you are Ivory like me - so here's the rather cheery e-mail waiting for me when I got home...according to them, everything is now wonderful! (and "valued Flying Blue Ivory" Really???)

I'm sorry that this has impacted so many of you - no doubt BA will start to look at their BAEC benefits soon - they're very good at "enhancing away" the privilages too....

"Dear Miss FlyBaby

KLM recently announced that it will be changing its baggage policy for European flights. For tickets booked as from 22 April 2013, check-in baggage will be a paid option for all passengers travelling in Economy Class.

An exception to this rule has been made for our valued Flying Blue Ivory members like yourself. You can check in one item of baggage free of charge, adding further to the benefits of your Flying Blue membership.

Options
The choice to check in baggage will become part of a range of flight options. It is also possible to expand your booking with options such as a seat in Economy Comfort or soon lounge access to the KLM Crown Lounge. This way KLM offers you the chance to customise your trip based on your personal preferences.

Click here for more information on check-in baggage

We hope to see you on board soon"
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:34 am

Programs: FB
Baggage changes - Is GOLD now the same as IVORY?

Flying Blue: XXXXXXXXX
Dear XX XXXXX,

KLM recently announced that it will be changing its baggage policy for European flights. For tickets booked as from 22 April 2013, check-in baggage will be a paid option for all passengers travelling in Economy Class.

As a valued Flying Blue Gold member you continue to have the right to check in one piece of check-in luggage free of charge on European flights.

Options
The choice to check in baggage will become part of a range of flight options.. It is also possible to expand your booking with options such as a seat with extra legroom or a seat in Economy Comfort. This way KLM offers you the chance to customise your trip based on your personal preferences.

Click here for more information on check-in baggage
We hope to see you on board soon.
when I click for more info it says that Ivory and Blu-biz customers will get a free bag also:
You can check in 1 suitcase for free, if:
You are a Flying Blue member (Enrol now and you’ll earn Miles too!).
You are travelling on a corporate or a BlueBiz account.
So: what does that mean?
does that mean that I still get my ADDITIONAL free hold bag as an FB GOLD benefit?
As GOLD will I still be allowed 2 hold bags for free? One for being FB member and one ADDITIONAL for reaching GOLD status?
or have I lost that benefit and now only get the same baggage benefits as every never-flown-KLM-before IVORY with an internet connection?
Have they just devalued GOLD?
Did they just give me another reason to book my next long-haul with Emirates and let my FB status drop to IVORY?

Last edited by andypandy; Feb 15, 2013 at 6:44 am
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
No email announcing this fabulous news so far. I guess the communications department is desperately trying to find an angle that would cast the changes as improvements for Plats!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 6:54 am

Programs: FB
Oh my. KLM is really going out of their way to alienate loyal customers and to even further minimise the gap between their product and Ryanair / Easyjet. Luckily, the brilliant minds at the KLM communications department managed to spin having to pay for something that used to be free as an "enhancement". I wonder why I keep doing business with a company that threats me like I'm a complete idiot...

At least now we will start seeing fares as low as 99 euro!

Is it just me or have fares always been that low (or even 79 for select destinations last year)? I wonder how much longer KLM will keep deceiving their customers.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:16 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Actually they will increase the number of 99-euro destinations from 19 to 30. Of course those will be the current 109 and 129 euro destinations. Also this says nothing about available seats: If they reduce the number of available 99 euro seats on current flights by 30%, they have saved enough to offer a few seats at lower prices on other routes..
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Thanks Gajan for renaming the thread so that it does not confuse people who start new threads on the same topic!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Xandrios
Actually they will increase the number of 99-euro destinations from 19 to 30. Of course those will be the current 109 and 129 euro destinations.
According to their statements from yesterday that should be the case, but at the moment there are 21 destinations on offer from €99 or less (Manston is €97)

The current €109 destinations: LHR (106), LYS (111)
The current €119 destinations: Bologna, Venice, Stockholm
The current €129 destinations: Rome, Nice, Turin (133), Vienna, Budapest

Also this says nothing about available seats: If they reduce the number of available 99 euro seats on current flights by 30%, they have saved enough to offer a few seats at lower prices on other routes..
I'd have preferred to see all destinations reduced by some token amount, if not even the €30 that they will now charge those who have the audacity to fly with more than carry-on!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
At least now they've modified all websites to remove the confusing statement about Flying Blue members/Flying Blue Elite members.

But this wording (found on the GB, IE, BE & DE websites, and probably others - though strangely not on the Dutch website) seems designed to annoy:

Why pay for something you don’t use? they ask. Indeed, why? But previously we didn't have to pay for it, even if we did use it, so why change it now?

And isn't that an implicit confirmation that for the past few years I've been paying over the odds???

In fact, if I've been paying for something I've not been using for all these years (as KLM suggest I have been doing), then I am seriously considering billing them €30 for each short-haul return I've taken without luggage over the last few years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.